Form 540 Reports for Desert Campaign - 27 October 2012

Anything to do with the Desert Campaign goes in here. Please post your flight reports into this forum.

Moderators: Board of Directors, Command

Robo

Form 540 Reports for Desert Campaign - 27 October 2012

Post by Robo » Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:27 pm

Date: September 1941
A/C: Tomahawk MkIIa R for Rabbit

Took of as No.2 with S/Ldr. Osprey, headed 310 and climbed hard towards the sea as we were late for the rendezvous with the bombers. Spotted two contacts on bombers 2'o clock at cca 16 thousand feet. They dove on another pair of P-40s but the wingman broke too late. Urizen got KIA in a massive explosion. I dove on the enemy fighter that attacked him and gave him a good beating as he was climbing up. He pushed the nose and dove straight on the deck and then started climbing - that's when I wanted to attack again. But another 109 passed underneath me, probably his wingman - I attacked immediately scoring good hits, the e/a entered a spin and bailed out eventually. At 15 thousand feet, flying southwards where F/O Gromic and S/Ldr. Osprey reported enemy activity, I attacked another Bf 109 that started streaming fuel and glycol and we seen diving home. I was rather low on ammunition when I formed up with S/Ldr. Osprey above enemy airfield - I helped him by attacking a e/a that was in a scissor fight with him. I damaged this plane lightly and got chased myself. I dragged the 109 to the north and entered a vicious dogfight, I pushed the e/a in front of me and scored hits in the engine and cockpit area. 109 went in the sea. Low on ammo I RTBd swiftly. Unfortunately, both F/O Gromic and S/Ldr. Osprey got shot down close to the enemy airfield where we pushed the Jerry. I lost sight of the bombers on the first contact with the enemy.

3x Bf 109 destroyed
2x Bf 109 damaged

Tomahawk MkIIa ok
Pilot Ok

Dickie
Group Captain
Group Captain
ACG Board
contributor

Re: Form 540 Reports for Desert Campaign - 27 October 2012

Post by Dickie » Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:53 pm

Date: September 1941
A/C: Tomahawk MkIIa A for Apple

I took off with the flight to teach Jerry a lesson but just after takeoff my flap control jammed and I got slightly left behind. After a swift right boot to the control up they came and I drove to catch up a few miles behind the rest. The group met the Hun early, a pair of 109's had a height advantage of a few thousand feet and bore into the main group. I called on the R/T but it didn't prevent Urizen taking a packet and he went in. We were soon after them and the bastard dived underneath me chasing another Tomahawk so I gave chase and closed to 200 yards. My aim was off and the first squirt went underneath, luckily this Hun had target fever and I closed further scoring hits into the fuselage and engine. He rolled away glycol streaming from his engine. I claim this Bf109 as damaged. We had lost the bombers during this time and headed further west nearing the coastal airfield still held by Rommel and then we encountered JG27 in full force. A huge dogfight started and after some milling about about I ended up in a scissors fight with another Bf109 at about angels 11. I struck first and he started to smoke but then I lost a little control and he regained advantage. Fortunately F/O Robo was watching and jumped in before he could get me in his sights, he was in a terrible way anyway but Robbo finished the job with an accurate squirt which sent him down. I claim 1/2 destroyed shared with F/O Robo. Over the R/T I heard Gromic was succeeding but he was very low over British owned territory so Robo and I did not go down to try to find him because of the danger all around and above. Soon after I saw a pair of Bf109's heading inland in formation, I dived down to line one up, the wingman broke left whilst his leader zoom climbed. I think they were trying to stall me out and execute me but had totally misjudged my energy which I knew I had and I quickly closed the leader not worrying about his wingman who had to perform and whole 360 turn to get to me. From 100 to nil yards I blasted him in the canopy, I saw he had been killed as I flew past. I claim this aircraft as destroyed. I stall turned and headed 100 degrees in a shallow dive because I was out of ammunition now, but rotten luck the other Hun was joined by a pair and they gave chase. I dived into a cloud but then heard loud bangs on my machine and it started to spin violently in the cloud, I didn't know which way was up. The bastard had me. I dropped out of the cloudbase by the time I arrested the spin and had nowhere to turn. I dived to the coast avoiding two more attacks from the 3 Bosh giving chase, the Alison coughing badly now. Then the fatal blow, I took one in the canopy and was blinded. It was a good job I had so much night flying experience in the Tomahawk because I knew which levers to pull to get out and I jumped. Parachute half deployed and I smashed into the sea softly near the beach and walked out of it. Luckily some brownshirts were watching and got me out and took me to their field hospital. I will recover vision very soon according to the quacks.

Destroyed
1 and 1/2 Bf109

Damaged
1 Bf109

Lost
1 Tomahawk IIa