RAF Ground Claims?

Find information on current and past ACG Campaigns.

Moderators: Thaine, Falcon, Board of Directors

Jammy
Leytenant
Leytenant

Re: RAF Ground Claims?

Post by Jammy » Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:19 pm

@Thaine double checked. My bad you are correct, could have sworn a sergeant in Mandrel obtained it once.

@Woop it seems that your proposal is the most realistic considering that i am now 99% sure no special ground attack medals were ever made.
Did somehow stumble on another medal, just incase. Can confirm that it was sometimes issued to Bomber Command pilots but not fighters.

Conspicuous Gallantry Medal

The Conspicuous Gallantry Medal (CGM) was, until 1993, a British military decoration for gallantry in action for petty officers and seaman of the Royal Navy, including Warrant Officers and other ranks of the Royal Marines. It was formerly awarded to personnel of other Commonwealth countries. In 1943 a Royal Air Force version was created for conspicuous gallantry in action against the enemy in the air.
"Always strive to be better than who you were yesterday"

Maltloaf
Podpolkovnik
Podpolkovnik
ACG Staff
Contributor
Location: Salisbury Plain, birthplace of British military aviation.

Post by Maltloaf » Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:43 pm

Jammy wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 11:47 am
This is the last medal I was able to find that could be used as a ground attack reward:

Maltloaf wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:49 am
RAF Long Service and Good Conduct medal? Or ‘the fifteen years of undiscovered crime’ medal can only be awarded to Airman and NCOs – not officers (prior to 2016) as the crimes (charges) that disqualify an airman would not be appropriate for an officer. That is to say, Officers have Good Conduct by default and if you don’t then you aren’t an officer, you certainly don’t get a fucking medal for it.
True but that would also invalidate the DFC which was only available to Officers but is issued to all ranks in ACG regardless. So far I have been unable to find actual rewards given to RAF strike fighters so I picked these until a better replacement can be found.
Yep but the DFC was balanced by the DFM, The MC by the MM etc etc. The LSGC Medal has no equivalent. Difficult to explain the difference but giving officers the LSGC medal is just plain wrong. Guess you have had to be there.

"I have never once lost my gratitude for those who were the sentinels and held the line between tyranny and civilisation"

Jammy
Leytenant
Leytenant

Post by Jammy » Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:27 pm

Maltloaf wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:43 pm
Jammy wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 11:47 am
This is the last medal I was able to find that could be used as a ground attack reward:

Maltloaf wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:49 am
RAF Long Service and Good Conduct medal? Or ‘the fifteen years of undiscovered crime’ medal can only be awarded to Airman and NCOs – not officers (prior to 2016) as the crimes (charges) that disqualify an airman would not be appropriate for an officer. That is to say, Officers have Good Conduct by default and if you don’t then you aren’t an officer, you certainly don’t get a fucking medal for it.
True but that would also invalidate the DFC which was only available to Officers but is issued to all ranks in ACG regardless. So far I have been unable to find actual rewards given to RAF strike fighters so I picked these until a better replacement can be found.
Yep but the DFC was balanced by the DFM, The MC by the MM etc etc. The LSGC Medal has no equivalent. Difficult to explain the difference but giving officers the LSGC medal is just plain wrong. Guess you have had to be there.
I hope what I said didn't come out as a challenge Malt I respect that your knowledge on the matter is superior to mine. Turns out I was mistaken anyway DFC is accurately only awarded to commissioned ranks in ACG.

The big issue I find is the lack of documentation for medals issued to RAF fighter pilots for performing G/A duties. Literally nothing has surfaced other than that Bomber Command pilots and crew received the medals we already use. I was really hoping to find something unique that would distinguish between someone that had shot down 5 planes and blown up 10 bridges.
"Always strive to be better than who you were yesterday"

Maltloaf
Podpolkovnik
Podpolkovnik
ACG Staff
Contributor
Location: Salisbury Plain, birthplace of British military aviation.

Post by Maltloaf » Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:26 pm

Not taken as a challenge at all Jammy, I understand the problem and appreciate the work. My touchiness is that my father had one more medal than me and that was for not getting into trouble before he was commissioned. Whereas I commissioned directly and therefore did not get a medal for doing what I should be doing anyway as an officer and a gentleman. He also got an MID which I was also written up for by didn’t make the cut because of a change in policy. I am not bitter (yes I am, bastards!).

The problem is the RAF did not recognise Aces at all, in fact were quite sniffy about the idea as all victories were just part of the team effort. If the goal keeper doesn’t get a medal for saving a goal, why would you give one to the centre forward? Similar to the Russian view but driven by the Corinthian attitudes of the Public School (that is a Private School to any Americans reading) rather than the communist ideals of the rebellious filthy Bolsheviks. Therefore there are no medals that directly recognise this sort of success.

"I have never once lost my gratitude for those who were the sentinels and held the line between tyranny and civilisation"