Leaning Forwards Preview

Idle chat for all ACG and friends

Moderators: Board of Directors, Command

Paddy

Re: Leaning Forwards Preview

Post by Paddy » Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:12 pm

Donkey wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:34 pm
3) I don't have a lot of time - anyone else feel like doing it? There must be a few other coders here?
Been a while since I've done any python but perhaps you did the BoS downloader in that? Can have a catchup with you to discuss unless there's any ace Devs in here.
Cheers,

Paddy
Group Captain John 'Paddy' Hemingway, we salute you

Donkey
Pilot Officer
Pilot Officer
Adjutant
Staff

Post by Donkey » Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:11 pm

For BoX I did a combination of Python and C#, mainly because there is no interface other than the log files. And there is no hashing of the skins so it becomes a trivial matter of comparing a folder on the client to a repository folder.

CloD actually has an API that is written in C# - and no log files of any use. So you can only really interface with it in C#. But.... It doesn't expose things like skins as far as I'm aware (there's no documentation), and CloD appears to also use some form of bespoke(?) hashing algorithm to determine if skins are missing or not, by comparing the local hash to the server hash. So I suspect it's more complex.

Happy to catch up with you and talk through what I think I remember about CloD though. It's been a while so I've forgotten a lot of it...

Woop

Post by Woop » Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:31 am

So, what are we doing for skins? Any definitive decisions?

Jammy

Post by Jammy » Wed Sep 25, 2019 3:41 pm

As I understand it we are making skins because

1: Some units are not represented in the game due to being post Battle of Britain
2: Even if skins don't show up for everyone in a mission it is far nicer to fly with quality skins within your squadron for immersive and advertising purposes
I do like to shoot down planes yes I do

Woop

Post by Woop » Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:41 pm

Here is a bit of info on our upcoming Campaign for those not signed up yet.
Maltloaf wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:17 am
Chaps und Herren,

Sorry, Long Post

As you are all aware, we are moving back to CloD in a couple of weeks’ time and we need to do a fair amount of prep.

Below is intended to give you an outline of what is going on and what is required of you.

Outline and differences from BoB

First of all The Leaning Forward (LF) Campaign will be very different to the Battle of Britain one we left. Please do not think we are going back to where we were. The BoB is over, the RAF are starting an offensive and the LW has pulled back to Abberville. The LF campaign was characterized by large scale RAF fighter formations flying over the French coast and then deeper in an attempt to lure the LW into a fight. The bait was normally a handful of Blenheim Bombers. The LW did on most occasions take the bait and a scrap ensued. In a reverse of the BoB the LW was guided by radar (that wonderful British invention that history tells us nobody else had) and they had a ground control system of sorts. There were some LW raids on the south coast and these will be represented. So the major differences are:

RAF will be stationed all over the 11Gp area and there will be fairly long transits to RV with other Sqns and the bombers.
The RAF will be required to fly in large high level close formations of up to six sqns including bombers. This will take practice, skill and patience.

The LW will be mostly stationed around Abberville and when the RAF raids are in the north their transit time will be long as well.

The LW will be required to scramble and be controlled from the ground. We need a LW team to carry out this function.

The RAF will have human bombers who will be the express responsibility of the fighters and unlike the ACG BoB where bombers tended to do what they liked (as CloD AI does!) we will know how many are lost and hear them being shot down if we fail.

The RAF will have a few more Spitfires (with a few Mk11a) but not many and the good old Hurri will still be very much in evidence. Note: 615 still had the Hurri in 1943! The LW will have E4s and E4Ns so the aircraft type balance will be in the LW favour (but not anything like Russia).

Combat may well be short and sharp after long transits with little time over the target.

This will all have a very different flavour to the CloD BoB so please start to adopt a LF mentality.

Preparation

The map has been built and the server set up and tested as much as we can with out players in any number. Skins have been produced and the first mission plans made, starting on 10 Jan 1941.

[...]

Malt
Guido wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:49 am
This is the outline plan at present:

Bully is working on the LF base map and it should be ready to be put on the ACG server for Thursday evening training. All welcome.

There will be another server test and practice on Sunday 20 October at 1900 BST (briefing at 1845). Maximum turn out is requested as the scenario plans for the actual campaign missions are shaped by how many people we can get on the server. Last week we got up to about 77 without major problems, so that bodes well. The format will be generally the same as last week - units will be fed in sequentially to meet for a bunfight mid-Channel or over France. Blenheims are free to attack port facilities in France - Calais looks favourite ;) . RAF & LW GC should be manned to help, more volunteers here are always welcome. This week custom skins ARE allowed, to see if that makes a difference - please ensure you have loaded your skins accordingly. Comms will be the old 'standard' of individual unit channels and a force-wide Whisper; the new RAF comms set up does not suit this format and will only be used when conducting a full Circus operation in campaign.

The first LF Campaign Mission is due to take place on Sunday 27 October at 1900 GMT (note the change from BST to GMT). In the week before it is intended to publish a general scenario briefing, an RAF Op Order for the first mission, and a Luftwaffe briefing as appropriate. Scenario rules will be part of the briefings - to include details of ROE, re-flies and any other limitations applicable to the scenario.

As ever, your feedback from training, tests, missions and just general observation is critical, so please keep the comments coming and any questions are welcome.