Leaning Forwards Preview

Idle chat for all ACG and friends

Moderators: Board of Directors, Command

Maltloaf
Location: Salisbury Plain, birthplace of British military aviation.

Leaning Forwards Preview

Post by Maltloaf » Sat Sep 07, 2019 12:48 pm

ACG LEANING FORWARD CAMPAIGN and No.II GROUP ORBAT

There has been much discussion about the upcoming Leaning Forward Campaign and it is about time to release some information and see if we can get ahead on ‘rumour control’.

The RAF went on the offensive in January 1941 and started a series of raids and sweeps designed to wear the Luftwaffe down. AVM Parks has gone and Trafford Leigh-Mallory (of the Big Wing controversy) has taken over.

We intend to re-enact the period Jan to Jun 41 and luckily for us we do have pretty much the plane set we need. The RAF are still using Hurricanes and some recently converted Sqns have the Mk IIa Spitfires but if you are on a Sqn converted during the BoB chances are you will be in a Mk1a 100oct. There were approximately twelve large ‘circus’ operations between Jan and Jun which is why we are doing two six week phases. After Jun the MKV Spitfire appears and we have to stop unless TF jump in and lend us some of their new creations.

The LW actually had some F2s during that period but unfortunately they will not have access to these but they will have plenty of E4Ns. There was plenty of other activity going on, even some daylight ‘tip and run’ raids by the Luftwaffe on the south coast.

We have researched the period fairly comprehensively and the activity will be based on the big Circuses on the dates they happened but other activity that happened near that time may be included for variation.

JG26 of course where still in place and will be based accordingly. The RAF however had a good shuffle around and three of our base sqns were simply not in 11Gp over the period. Hence, in a similar manner to our VVS ORBAT the base sqns will be representing other units. Below is the RAF ORBAT we are likely to use and these are the actual types and bases that were used in Jan 41. Only one 11Gp sqn, 145 Sqn , changed from Hurricanes to Spits over the period and they will be represented by 501 Sqn.

The Command and Control and Orders process will also change of course with the Luftwaffe having a radar system and a form of ground control. This will need volunteers so don’t be shy. They will, on the whole be scrambled in the same manner as the RAF during the BoB. The RAF will have an orders process appropriate for getting very large formations in the air, going where they deed to go and doing what they are supposed to do.

Radio communications for the RAF will also change with the introduction of the four channel push button VHF radio. More on that when we have sorted it out.

In general, it will be very different from the battles around Moscow but also fairly different from the BoB or the BoF. Nothing is set in concrete yet but I thought I would get you all thinking and try and fill the information vacuum.

orbat snip.JPG
PS, if you haven’t flown CloD in a while I suggest you practice. I had forgotten much I thought I knew.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"I have never once lost my gratitude for those who were the sentinels and held the line between tyranny and civilisation"

Jaydog
Hauptmann
Hauptmann
Staffelkapitan

Re: Leaning Forwards Preview

Post by Jaydog » Sat Sep 07, 2019 1:03 pm

Looking forward to this campaign very much. As Malt said, don't wait until showtime to become familiar with CLoD if you've never flown Blitz before. Get your practice in now.

i9-9900k, 3.6 GHz, GeForce RTX 3090 FE, 64 GB RAM, 1 TB Samsung EVO SSD, 480 GB SSD, 1 TB SATA III Hard Drive, Windows 10, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro Joystick, Warthog Flight Stick, Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS HOTAS, Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals; MFG Crosswinds, VR: Oculus Rift S/ Reverb G2 / Pimax Crystal

Onebad

Post by Onebad » Sat Sep 07, 2019 2:36 pm

Hey Digby, your dads are back.

Woop

Post by Woop » Sat Sep 07, 2019 3:00 pm

I will be needing info about how skins will be handled (if we will be using custom ones), as well as how the Luftwaffe line-up will look like. To start with. I will create a thread for things that need doing.

Ginger
Wing Commander
Wing Commander
ACG Board
contributor
Location: The centre of the known universe Nottingham, England

Post by Ginger » Sat Sep 07, 2019 3:18 pm

Doe's that mean 32 can order buckets of Brylcreem to lather over each other along with the officers mess ! :D
DEAD PILOTS DONT MAKE CLAIMS

Maltloaf

Post by Maltloaf » Sat Sep 07, 2019 3:24 pm

Those of you who are allowed in the officer's mess, yes. What the NCOs get up to is another story.
"I have never once lost my gratitude for those who were the sentinels and held the line between tyranny and civilisation"

Maltloaf

Post by Maltloaf » Sat Sep 07, 2019 3:29 pm

Woop wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 3:00 pm
I will be needing info about how skins will be handled (if we will be using custom ones), as well as how the Luftwaffe line-up will look like. To start with. I will create a thread for things that need doing.
Good point, the feeling is we need to have the correct sqns and correct airfields even if it means default skins, but custom skins would be far preferable of course. I intend to check the default skins against the sqns in the ORBAT to make sure we can actually represent them, hence the 'not in concrete' comment.

The LW line up is currently in th hands of the LW but I wanted to get things out there sooner rather than later even if not complete.

A list to tasks to be done would be brilliant.

Digby

Post by Digby » Sat Sep 07, 2019 3:31 pm

Woop

Post by Woop » Sat Sep 07, 2019 3:51 pm

Maltloaf wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 3:29 pm
Woop wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 3:00 pm
Good point, the feeling is we need to have the correct sqns and correct airfields even if it means default skins, but custom skins would be far preferable of course. I intend to check the default skins against the sqns in the ORBAT to make sure we can actually represent them, hence the 'not in concrete' comment.

The LW line up is currently in th hands of the LW but I wanted to get things out there sooner rather than later even if not complete.

A list to tasks to be done would be brilliant.

Thanks for the info Malt. Ideally we'd have custom skins for all, the issue I see is not so much the time to make them, we've got plenty of time leading up to LF. Thing is, if we start flying and notice the good old stuttering is back due to custom skins, then that work would be for nothing. I'll start research on them nonetheless and see where we can go from there.

Lofty

Post by Lofty » Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:36 pm

What are the plans for crewing the Blenheims? Pilot only or pilot + bomb aimer/ gunner?

I'm guessing the former but appreciate the clarification.

Thanks