Moderators: Thaine, Falcon, Administration Staff, WebDevs

Donkey
Pilot Officer
Pilot Officer
Contributor
Location: Bomber *Command* County :D - Buckinghamshire, England

GCV - Cheeky Curry Edition

Post by Donkey » Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:57 pm

Ok, so last year we had the GCV Broadsword Edition (2016) - so it stands to reason that this year we will have the GCV Cheeky Curry Edition (2017).
Changes are as follows:

1) GCV will show you when a new campaign file is released to the server by providing you with a download button. This button only appears when there is a file available that is less than 30 days old that you don't have.
2) If you manually download, then you can download the zip file and leave it as a zip file - GCV will decompress it for you.
3) Range slider. Because the whole rendering-distance-on-pilot-selection mechanic seemed confusing, you can now choose your "spot" range with a new slider whilst a chosen pilot is active. Contacts will fade into range - i.e. at the edge of your spot range they will be nearly invisible. You can also press the "Spot range / All" toggle to toggle *all* contacts. Range is reported in feet (RAF) or metres (LW) - as usual changing "sides" is a purely cosmetic change and can be done whenever you like without a restart.
4) Events!!! Certain events are now recorded to your timeline (upper left box) after they occur. You can click on these to jump back to the event.
5) Bombs!! Bomb strikes first appear orange and emit smoke. After a certain period the smoke stops and the strikes appear grey.
6) Mission Title, number and tracked pilot are now displayed. Title and number are campaign only.
7) Double click on any pilot to dynamically jump to their track. This was here before but a couple of you at Duxford didn't know about it.
8) 3 playback speeds - Real (1:1), Fast and Fastest. Fastest will chug a little when there's a lot on screen - but it's nice to get a quick overview of a mission. You can obviously still scrub through by dragging the time slider.
9) Timeline stopping - the playback will automatically stop whenever you press a button, jump to another pilot etc... To resume it, either press the play button again or press space (which works as a stop/start toggle).
10) Frame-by-frame playback. Press shift and roll your mousewheel to step through frame-by-frame (not all that satisfying given the once every 2/3 seconds update we get from CLOD, but meh). Again, always there but not everyone knew.
11) It is still compatible with old GCV files - but there won't be events or bombs.
12) I have now added interpolation into the tracks. It's strictly linear, (because smooth 3D non-linear is a bit of a pain, particularly when you have gradients changing from positiove to negative, and life is too short..). It should, however, reduce the jerkiness of the tracks as each plot should now update every second.
13) Made the focus pilot's font yellow, and added colouring for other markers - dark is AI, lighter is squadrons other than the foucus pilot's, lighter still is the focus pilot's squadron, lightest is focus pilot.
13) Shift double clicking on any marker other than your own will make it the target of your camera whilst it stays within your spot range. It's marker text will go orange, and the camera will stick near your focus pilot, but point at this target. You can disable this behaviour by choosing the "Padlock Off" option. Shift double-clicking on the same marker will deselect it, whereas shift double-clicking on a different marker (other than the focus pilot) will jumpto that one as the target.
14) Slow-mo speeds that use interpolation to smoothly render the blobs between recorded points.
15) Cleaned data track
16) Curved rendering of tracks
17) Sun simulatoin
18) Pairs tagging

All it needs now is:

a) You lot to use it
b) Some video wizard to make a promo video of it to pull more numbers in.

LATEST VERSION (03 May 2018) is 2.6
https://www.dropbox.com/s/65fm2k5cs7ezx ... 6.exe?dl=0

Note latest release will always be here.

NOTE: If you were using an early version of GCV, it is possible you had one where the installer did not explicitly set write permissions in the install folder. This will cause issues with the latest version. So, if you haven't updated for a while (i.e. from before this thread even started) please:

1) Backup your DataFiles folder
2) Delete your gcv folder (and all subfolders)
3) Reinstall GCV
4) Restore the DataFiles folder

This will ensure the folder is set up with the correct permissions.

Bonkin
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader
ACG Staff
Contributor

Re: GCV - Cheeky Curry Edition

Post by Bonkin » Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:25 pm

Sounds great Donkey... I've downloaded it and am having a look. Thanks for all your hard work on this.

Woop
Flight Sergeant
Flight Sergeant
Contributor

Post by Woop » Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:26 pm

Great stuff Donks! Amazing work on this, really astounding. :salute:

Bunny
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant
Contributor

Post by Bunny » Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:03 pm

Just Wow! Thanks Donkey!!
"A good landing is one you can walk away from. A great landing is one you can walk away from with your pint intact."

Dickie
Air Commodore
Air Commodore
ACG Staff
Contributor

Post by Dickie » Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:00 pm

It's fucking awesome!

Kildren
Unterfeldwebel
Unterfeldwebel

Post by Kildren » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:34 am

My only question is with gcv in general how come when I set the view range to maximum gcv goes to shite like slow?
4./JG26_LuftAsher: How is it not super common knowledge at this point that I'm a total flaming fagaloon?
4./JG26_Kildren: because their is only like 3 of us to spread it?
4./JG26_LuftAsher: I literally sucked a dick last night.

4./JG26_LuftAsher: Everyone in ACG can stick it, brother

Donkey
Pilot Officer
Pilot Officer
Contributor

Post by Donkey » Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:41 am

Hmmm.... Well it's referenced in the help file, but bluntly it's because when you go to maximum you will be rendering many many thousands of polygons, enough to stress any gfx card (which will already be fairly stressed as it has to load both the absolutely enormous map texture and the ground height map - both of which and take up a significant amount of memory)

Donkey
Pilot Officer
Pilot Officer
Contributor

Post by Donkey » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:01 am

Kildren wrote:My only question is with gcv in general how come when I set the view range to maximum gcv goes to shite like slow?
Also note that in the *new* version you can set the "spot range" up to 20km without enabling all aircraft (this is now controlled by the "Spot Range" button beside the range readout as opposed to the slider.) This should show you everyone in your area of interest (and more) without having to render aircraft at the other side of the map, saving you quite a few GFX cycles.

If it still proves to be laggy as hell you can reduce the tail size to minimum (green slider), and I can make a version that allows you to switch off shadows (may make a small difference). But beyond that we're talking new GFX card territory if you want to render everything at all times and expect it to be buttery smooth. Which it's not even on my 1080.

Nev
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Nev » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:22 am

Awesome fella have a badgers on me :B:

Always above, seldom on the same level, never underneath.

- Edward Mannock 73 victories

Magic
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Magic » Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:12 pm

Hi Donkey,
getting a 404 error at the moment.
Thanks for the hard work in advance!
1200z
Magic