Mission 4 : 19 July 1940

RAF From 540. Flight reports from the 3rd Battle of Britain Campaign. Only ACG RAF can post

Moderators: Board of Directors, Administration Staff, Skin Team, Treasurers

Teepee
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader
Sqn Cdr

Re: Mission 4 : 19 July 1940

Post by Teepee » Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:19 pm

I was flying in Red Section with the Boss S/L Osprey (Red 1), LAC Kupsised (Red 2), LAC Bully (Red 3) and 'Ol Eagle Eyes' SAC Hawes (Red 5). We took off from Gravesend and climbed steadily to Angels 20 to engage with the enemy.

All was well until Boss warned of enemy incoming and we attacked. I then became separated from the rest of the Squadron and spent the remainder of the mission flying in circles and decreasing height from 20,000ft to the sea. I heard plenty of action over the R/T but saw nothing - absolutely fucking diddly sqwat.

I returned to Base after a complete fucking waste of time. I was reprimanded by the Armourer Chief who said he now had to explain to the Armoury why he was bringing ammo back instead of drawing it out.

I went down to the mess and met a nice young filly who was quite talkative until I found out she worked in the Station Armoury and she spent the night berating the clown who had brought ammo back causing her to work late to count it all in - so I couldn't even achieve a hit there either! Another fucking waste of time and effort.

I claim nothing.
I still expect tea and medals for turning up on time.
I returned 1 completely Serviceable and hardly used Hurricane.