Mission 4 : 19 July 1940

RAF From 540. Flight reports from the 3rd Battle of Britain Campaign. Only ACG RAF can post

Moderators: Board of Directors, Administration Staff, Skin Team, Treasurers

Urizen

Mission 4 : 19 July 1940

Post by Urizen » Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:04 pm

Second Storm of War Campaign

Mission 4 (Sun 11/11/12):
Duration: 45 minutes
Home Airfield: RAF Gravesend
Aircraft: SH-K; Spitfire IIa

Moved up to Gravesend today and right on arrival received our assignment for today. We are ordered to babysit some defiants which are CAPing a convoy, that is to move from Dungeness towards Dover. Took off at Gravesend as No.3 of Pink flight. We quickly formed up and climbed towards Lympne.
On going feet wet, we altered heading towards east. Red flight called out contacts and were engaged by 109s. Pink flight quickly headed west and engaged the enemy. I stayed up high, knowing that the hun will climb up. And a 109 did exactly that, i latched onto the 109, knowing that i had superior E on her. On my first pass the 109 dove down and i went up into a barrel roll and just as the 109 was passing my 12, i let go of my 8 brownings. By the looks of it, it seems the 109 was leaking fuel and/or coolant badly and was last seen diving towards france. I claim that one as damaged, probably destroyed.
On several unsuccessful attempts to make contact with pink flight i stumbled upon red flight, who instantly warned me about a 109 on my tail. S/L Gromic managed to get that one off my tail. However it seems that i received hits to my radiator. Just as a second 109 latched onto my six, my engine died and i dove towards folkestone, where i crashed just north of it.

Plane: SH-K Spitfire MkIIa complete writeoff
Pilot: OK
Claims: 1 109 damaged, probably destroyed

Siddich

Re: Mission 4 : 19 July 1940

Post by Siddich » Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:37 pm

Aircraft: SD-H, Hurricane MkI, 100oct

Took off with Gold section as Gold 4. Climbed towards the Chanel.
Then contact with more than 5 bf 109 in 20.000 over St Mary's Bay.
Got some shots on a 109 in the distance and took some shots on my plane, too...
->Rudder damaged
Formed up on the wing of Red leader and had contact with some more Bf109...
got some hits in my engine and landed at Lympne.

Claims
-1 probable kill

Plane:
Just a little rough running engine, some holes in my wings and a damaged rudder.

Pilot:
ready for the next fight

Bounder

Post by Bounder » Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:41 pm

Duration: 45 minutes
Aircraft: SH-B; Spitfire 2a

64 Squadron transferred to RAF Gravesend, received orders to protect 141 squadron in their flying coffins (aka Defiants). We were informed the Defiants were to be found over an allied shipping convoy located near Folkstone. After scrambling from Gravesend, 64 Pink and Red squadrons climbed toward the convoy and reached 18-19 thousand feet.

Radar was reporting the Defiants near to Cap Gris Nez and R/T reported a RAF sqaudron engaged with enemy contacts near the "French Point". Alas we were never to reach the Defiants, 64 Squadron came into contact with numerous 109s not far out of Littlestone. We were at angels 18 and we broke to engage. After the turn I struggled to get any power out of my Spitfire at altitude, acceleration was painful and I could not get into the fight except to be target practice for the 109s. I evaded as best as I could, shouting to wingmates as they were bounced by the 109s. Eventually I succumbed to hits from a 109, I was wounded and my engine shook. I dove away to Hawkinge but turned back and headed for the convoy in an attempt to help squadmates in trouble. I bounced a 109 getting good hits into him, he nose bunted at low altitude and almost ended up in the sea. I turned and cleared a Hurricanes six who was taking hits from a 109. By now we were heavily outnumbed over the ships, I was bleeding out and my engine was knackered. On the six of a 109 I received hits from another 109 head-on. Everything went black and I heard a splash.

Claims: two 109s damaged.
Pilot: sleeping with the fishes
Plane: SH-B: lost at sea
My PC specs: Win10 64 Pro, CPU i7-3820 4.4GHz, 16GB RAM, GPU Nvidia 1070 (8gb vram).
Controls: Microsoft FFB2, Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle, MFG Crosswind Pedals, TrackIR5, & a bottle of Scotch.

Dickie
Group Captain
Group Captain
ACG Board
contributor

Post by Dickie » Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:06 pm

Duration: 71 minutes
Aircraft: SD-K; Hurricane Ia L2329

Today we had 9 serviceable Hurricanes in Mandrel so we split into Red and Gold sections. Flying as Red leader we followed No.64 out on 120 degrees toward Hawkinge climbing to angels 12. Over the R/T Freema got engaged at angels 18 south of Folkestone so I turned the squadron south to Littlestone to climb to that height. Once formed I headed east to find the Hun and before long we met a pair of the bastards. One past my starboard at speed and I turned 180 north, Gold leader, Robo, was already onto him and from 1km I saw an explosion, as I got closer I could see black smoke pour from his engine and he fell down. I can confirm Robo's shooting. Action was all around and saw a Hun in a climbing left hander, I pulled the tit and went for him, I closed rapidly and had him in my sights but he must've known I was there because he rolled over and dived before I reached a good firing distance. At 250 years I judged the lead and gave him a second of squirt, my machine shook and the smell of cordite filled the cockpit. I don't think I hit him and he was gone. The fight was separated, then I rejoined with Teepee and Siddich over Dover. Making a left turn Teepee became separated but Siddich stayed with me, then we ran into a squadron of square heads at so alt - not good. We chased one south for a few miles but could not gain, then his dirty friends helped him out. He split S with Siddich following, I saw Siddich fired and score hits but was struck himself, meanwhile I had to break since I was under attack. I fought one working my way north and received some very light strikes from distance. I was pleased I was in hurricane which can eat up German lead for lunch - had I been in a Spitfire I would probably have been running home to mummy with a grazed knee! Anyway, I managed to lose him and climbed north meeting with gold leader. We went back south at angel 17 looking for a fight and found 2 more Hun but some Spitfires just had the edge and also descended in a fight. I lost them and low on fuel decided to return to Gravesend making a safe landing. My chiefy was excited to see I'd fired my guns but sadly nothing to report this time.

No claims.

Bunny

Post by Bunny » Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:09 pm

Mission 4 (11/11/2012)
Date: 19th July 1940
Duration: 52 minutes
Aircraft: SD-N, Hurricane Mk1 (100 oct)

Took off from Gravesend airfield as Gold 4, with Gold Leader (FO Robo), LAC Meaker and Cpl Siddich. Orders were to CAP around grids AW21 and AX22, intell had it that Bf 109s or bombers were organising a raid on our ships and we were to reinforce 141 Squadron in their Defiants. Original patrol height was 10,000ft, but as we climbed towards Ashford the shout came in to climb to 17,000ft or more as Bf 109s had been confirmed higher than 10,000ft by a group already in on the action.
We continued the climb, reaching Littlestone at around 20,000ft, and headed towards Folkestone, picking up Red group as we did so. Not long after, a group of contacts were spotted on our 2 o'clock, around grid AX22. We got stuck in - Cpl Siddich stayed on my wing for a short while, but the melee soon broke us up. There were 109s everywhere - I managed to squeeze a quick round into one but it was too far away. In turn I received a few holes in my port wing - emmental cheese anyone? The battle ranged from 9,000ft to 17,000ft, a few 109s I got on to the six of used the dive technique to escape - at least three times I had to pull out of a dive, knowing they could recover their altitude faster than I could. I wasn't going to waste my altitude for nothing. It was on one of these climbs out of a dive that I saw a 109 fast approaching a Hurricane on its six. Too far away to make out a plane number, I called out to any Hurricane in a slow climb to Folkestone that they had a 109 on their backside. Sqn Ldr Osprey's voice came over comms, it was him. I saw the 109 pop a few rounds off, and then climb off Sqn Ldr Osprey. I followed him up, and had him lined up as he came down again - I assume he was lining up again on his prey. I fired a few rounds off from a distance, just to scare him off with the tracers, it seemed to work. I gained on him in a slight dive, sighted him up, and then the engine took a hit, oil gushed over the cockpit, and not long after cut out. With a decent amount of altitude I managed to coast into Hawkinge and emergency land on one wheel. The old bird survived the landing, more importantly so did I. No kills and no enemy knowingly damaged. Not the best sortie.

Claims: Nothing
Aircraft: Damaged on landing, but not a write-off.
Pilot: Slightly wounded.

“It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes I-16s.” - Douglas Adams

Kupsised

Post by Kupsised » Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:17 pm

Mission No.3 (11.11.2012)
Date: 19th July 1940
A/C: Hurricane Mk1 (100 oct) - SD-A - L2045

Took off as Red 2, with Sq/Ldr Osprey as Red Leader, LAC Bully as Red 3, P/O Teepee as Red 4 and SAC(?) Hawes as Red 5. Climbed to Angels 20 to CAP over the ships off the coast of Dover. Ran in to a number of 109's, saw one make a pass on Bully and pulled round to try and get him. Wheeled round slowly to the right, him slowly bleeding speed, thinking I was in for the kill, but he suddenly climbed. I didn't even try to match him, and did a diving turn away, losing visual on him. then started a gradual climb as to not lose too much speed, trying to link up with my squadmates. Just as I was reaching altitude I got bounced and badly hit by a 109. My starboard guns had all been knocked out, and one magneto had failed, but other than that I seemed ok. I weighed up my options, then thought I would be fairly useless in a fight with only four guns, so radioed in that I was RTBing, hopefully to Lymne. This was a good choice, as as I was descending over the coast near Folkstone I had a sudden oil leak, my radiator exploded and I had two governor failiures. I changed my course for Hawkindge, but noticed I didn't have enough speed, so tried to ditch just North, essentially right where I found myself on the last mission. Just before hitting the ground I had to pull back hard to avoid a hill, so the aircraft hit the ground very hard with both wings detaching. I was still a-ok though, and spent the rest of the mission staring into the sun and listening to the radio chatter, frustrated at missing out on any kills and being downed once again.

Aircraft: Guns and engine damaged by 109, engine destroyed and wings missing as a result of hard crash landing north of Hawkindge, likely a writeoff.
Pilot: Ok, but not a particularly happy camper - too much time being spent on the ground lately with holes in my aircraft, but happy not to be dead.

Hawes

Post by Hawes » Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:21 pm

Mission No.4 (11.11.2012)
Date: 19 July 1940
A/C: Hurricane Mk1 (100 oct) - SD-T P3208
T/O: 11:58
Flight time: 52 minutes

I was flying in Red Section as Red 5 with S/L Osprey (Red 1), LAC Kupsied (Red 2), LAC Bully (Red 3), P/O Teepee (Red 4). We took off from Gravesend with Gold Section led by F/O Robo and headed 120° towards the Hawkinge Sector climbing to Angles 20 en route. After a few minutes over the patrol area we spotted E/A coming in from our 12 O’clock. I was slightly behind the main formation and noticed a Bf 109 circling around on a pair from Gold section. I called out the contact and managed to dive on his tail. I closed to within 150 yards and fired two short bursts into him. His engine started pouring heavy black smoke and the E/A went down in a dive. This action was witnessed by several members No 501.
I then saw two E/As at 17,000 feet and attacked them with F/O Robo. F/O Robo fired on one of the Huns and he dived down to the left. I followed this E/A down from 17,000 feet to the deck, engaged all the way. The BF 109 got on my tail a few times but I managed to stunt and chased him for 5 minutes but was unable to get within range. We continued to dogfight at 500 ft S/W of Dover and I had to ditch my kite in the drink. I wasn’t hit in this engagement, but was too low in a turn and floated into the Channel. I am ashamed to say thatthe E/A managed to escape, as far as I can tell.

I was picked up by the air sea rescue service and got back to the mess in time for a brandy and a good chin wag with the rest of the squadron. We heard from group that we were engaged with elements from JG26 over the Hawkinge sector today. It appears that No 501 has made the job of the German batman somewhat easier, fewer places are to be set tonight for Sauerkraut and sausage!!!!

I claim 1 Bf 109 shot down in flames (witnessed by wingmen)

Campaign tally: 1 JU 87 destroyed (confirmed by S/L Osprey)
1 JU 87 as a probable (confirmed by S/L Osprey)
2 JU 87s as damaged
1 Bf 109 destroyed (confirmed)

Bully

Post by Bully » Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:33 pm

Mission 4 (11/11/2012)
Aircraft: SD-B, Hurricane Mk1, 100oct

After a failure to get airborne yesterday, was desperate to get up today. As it turned out a little to desperate as I put my hurricane nose down in the dirt while trying to taxi. After a quick sprint back to the blast pens to find a spare one, a took off following Gold section into the air. I Was flying in Red Section as red 3 and quickly rejoined the other 4 aircraft after take off.
Reasonably new at formation flying but managed to mostly stay in formation, but did lose contact while trying to eat a sandwich - rule one - don't try to eat and fly at the same time.
After getting up to altitude and meeting up with Gold section over the coast, we ran into a group of 109's. Tried to stay with Red One as long as possible but got separated and was soon flying alone. Headed towards to convoy in hope of finding some action and dropped altitude form 17000 ft to 6000 ft as I saw AA coming form the ships. Spotted a 109 harassing a Spitfire so dived in on him, managing to get a few rounds into him. The 109 started to leak, but after a few more rounds into him, I got bounced by a 109 who damaged my left wing, also taking my guns out of action. Thought I was about to get a belly full of channel, until the 109 got chased away. Thanks to whoever this was. Managed to slowly make it back to Lympne, and made a successful landing.

Claims: 1 Probable 109
Aircraft: Few Holes in Left wing, Machine guns need repairing
Pilot: Slightly wounded,but after a sit down and a cup of tea will be ready to fly again.

Meaker

Post by Meaker » Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:12 am

Form:540
Mission No.4 (11.11.2012)
Date: 15th July 1940
A/C: Hurricane Mk1 (100 oct) - SD-G
Duration:65 minutes

Took off as part of Gold section,with F/O Robo leading our section again,climbed up well above 20,000 ft before getting split up in the melee that insued.

I tried to re-group but just could'nt make any visual contact,at this moment heard some of our guys in trouble over the Folkestone area so vectored to that location where upon I got stuck in to some 109's although as I was closing they disapeared completely,no dice.After this brief encounter I made my way along the coast towards the flak puffs that were coming up from our Bofors guns at RAF Hawkinge,I thought there must be some trade to be had there,but alas as I flew over Hawkinge I could'nt see a damn thing,this must be a first as this is a real hotspot usually.

After an hour into my flight and with fuel well low I made a safe landing at RAF Manston,did'nt fancy putting the kite down at Hawkinge in case of being bounced there as I made my approach.All in all a great flight,but still no claims,nothing,still had wings full of ammo as I put her down,surely it must be my turn soon,must start opening my a/c with 501 shortly,what a steep learning curve!

Pilot:Ok
Aircraft:Ok

Robo

Post by Robo » Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:43 am

Mission No.3 (11.11.2012)
Date: 15th July 1940
A/C: Hurricane Mk1 (100 oct) - SD-X
Duration: 1h 20 minutes

Took off from Gravesend as leader of the Gold section with LAC Meaker on my wing and Sgt Bunny and Cpl Siddich as No's 3 and 4. There was enought time to get in the air this time so we had a good view on the No.64 taking off, it was pretty amazing. The Red flight led by S/Ldr Osprey got off the ground, and then it was our turn. Take off was sound and solid. We climbed to Angels 10, HDG 210, and then, being updated about the situation in the target area, all the way to Angels 20, even slightly higher. Forming up with Red flight in Littlestone area, we headed north. Big bursts of flak signalised enemy activity at our altitude - and they thery were: 109s scatteded all around the sky turning and climbing. I climb-turned behind the group and ordered to attack them at will, keep your speed boys, don't follow them down. One shot, don't miss, and climb again. I did just that - picked a 109 clmbing in a left hand turn, got into position quickly and sent him short burst. I got lucky as all bullets got in just behind the cockpit - flames bursts immediately and thick black smoke followed. The pilot baled out OK, poor sod. S/Ldr witnessed the black line he painted on the sky above Dover and was fairly impressed with the majestic smoky curve. Unfortunately, at this point it was everybody on his own, I've seen Hurricanes firing and being fired at, it was certainly a large encounter, there was no sign of enemy bombers or No.141s Defiants. Just them bloody snappers. I got behind 1 or 2 more enemy fighters but they spotted me in time and pushed the nose into a dive. One was not careful enough and I managed to score some hits, the pilot panicked and entered an interesting spin I did not follow. At one moment I got under attack myself and a 109 went head-on, all guns blazing. I avoided the attack as collision was imminent, I have never seen him again, but I have seen the neat bullet hole in the tip of my wing. Unfortunately, I did not manage to re-group with my Flight or even with anyone from the Red section, I was listening to the R/T and apparently, they had some fun, too. It was a great show all in all. I descended back towards Dover as I was about to form up with others when I spotted another 109 some 3000ft. below my left wing. I attacked imemdiately, but this fellow was also in attack at something lower. There it is - a Hurricane limping home. I obviously followed him all the way down to some Angels 5 and got to him just in time. The Hurricane pilot was gliding home with his engine knackered, the propeller still, streaming fuel and glycol, 109 about to attack. I send him a long burst from 600 yds. forcing him to break. He only shot inaccurate burst at the fellow Hurri and climbed again. I had no time to check with the friendly pilot, I tried to follow that 109 in the climb but it was hopeless. I broke off immediately and started climbing again, checking my 6 constantly. By doing so I spotted a 109 climbing in Folkestone area, he did not see me. I turned around and attacked furiously - I hit him hard, he broke off down violently, both his wings were on fire and he was streaming glycol. I decided it wasn't a good idea to be this low and disengaged inland and climbed to the south. That 109 went in certainly. Climbing back to Angels 15 where S/Ldr Osprey reported some enemy activity, then forming up with some Spitfires at Angels 18 above Hawkinge airfield, heading feet wet again. Too many friendly contacts made it impossible to identify S/Ldr. Osprey. Flying further off shore I spotted 109 climbing below me and another two in a nice formation, also climbing in a left hand turn. I reported my sposition to Osprey and attacked - I got into fine position beghind these two, still flying wing on wing and attacked the wingman - scored some solid hits in the engine and cockpit, they have never seen me coming, but to my complete dissapointment, I scored the last bulet I had. They were still surprised and didn't break after I was gone. I reportet being winchester and RTB, diving towards Cantenbury, checking my 6 constantly. I made a mistake by not judging my ammo situation correctly, I wasted too much bu shooting from the distance at that German, this could have ended badly. I landed at Gravesend with no problems.

Claims:
1x Bf 109 destroyed
1x Bf 109 probably destroyed
1x Bf 109 damaged

Aircraft: OK
Pilot: OK