Mission 8: August 12, 1940

RAF From 540. Flight reports from the 3rd Battle of Britain Campaign. Only ACG RAF can post

Moderators: Board of Directors, Administration Staff, Skin Team, Treasurers

Bounder

Mission 8: August 12, 1940

Post by Bounder » Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:13 pm

Mission 8 (01/12/12)
Date: August 12 1940
Airfield: RAF Manston
Aircraft: SH-B; Spitfire 2a

64 fielded 4 Spitfires today - Nitrous & Urizen formed Pink section; Yranac & myself formed Red section. We took off from Manston and were ordered to vector toward Lympne and climb before vectoring back toward Manston at angels 20. We were bounced over Ramsgate at angels 20 by 109s that came down from angels 24 and several pilots received damage. Nitrous and I got onto the six of a 109 who stalled attempting to avoid our attack, we broke as he dropped some 10,000feet over Manston. Yranac, who was injured, reformed with me initially over Ramsgate, we climbed to around angels 15 but became separated as I spotted 4 109s north of Ramsgate above. The 109s spotted me and dove in to attack, alone I split-S and dove over Ramsgate to lose them before climbing back up. I then spotted 2 flights of Ju87s north of Ramsgate at angels 15. I intercepted the Ju87s from the rear, carefully watching at least two 109 squadrons above the Stukas I made my attack run downing 2 Stukas and damaging other which was then put in by another pilot (claim 2 Ju87s destroyed, 1 Ju87 partial claim). I spotted a bf110 at the rear of the Ju87 formation at angels 15 and zeroed in on him but had to brake as 4 109s dropped in on my six. I split-S and dove, 2 109s stayed with me and pursued me almost all the way down, I took a hit and my electrics were knocked out - other than that I was in good fighting shape. After losing the remaining 109s near Eastchurch, I climbed back to angels 17 and headed to the convoy - I spotted 2 109s at angels 15 spread out and so made an attack on one, dropping onto his six from a slight angel I gave him a good burst but to my horror my tracers skimmed past the 109 missing the target. I broke and climbed up, not wanting to give away my altitude advantage but another 109 headed my way and easily zipped up above me. Again I split-S and descended to the deck south of Eastchurch, the 109 followed me all the way down but again I managed to lose him low on the deck. The raid had dispersed and I vectored to Kenley to land - as I approached on finals to land the server went down and I did not get to land.

Claims: 2 Ju87s destroyed; 1 Ju87 destroyed (partial claim)
Plane: minor damage to electrical systems
Pilot: OK
Last edited by Bounder on Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:40 pm, edited 5 times in total.
My PC specs: Win10 64 Pro, CPU i7-3820 4.4GHz, 16GB RAM, GPU Nvidia 1070 (8gb vram).
Controls: Microsoft FFB2, Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle, MFG Crosswind Pedals, TrackIR5, & a bottle of Scotch.

Hawes

Re: Mission 8: August 12, 1940

Post by Hawes » Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:17 pm

Mission No.8 (1.12.2012)
Date: ( 12/8/1940)
A/C: Hurricane Mk1 (100 oct) - SD-T P3208

T/O: 10:20
L/D: 10:50

I took off with LAC Bully and Kupsisied on my wing. We were scrambled and headed for Herne bay. We were still climbing at Angels 15 when we were engaged by a handful of 109s. We broke and evaded the E/As but were split up. I circled over Herne bay climbing to Angels 17. I was then vectored towards the bombers. I found two formations at Angels 16 N of Herne bay heading W.
I was then bounced by a 109 and I dropped to Angels 6 to evade it. I was then over the convoy and saw numerous Stukas diving on the ships. I engaged the E/As and was joined by LAC “Kup”. I damaged one Stuka fairly badly and then engaged another and saw him crash into the sea. I also saw one of "Kup's" Stukas fall to a watery grave.

I had taken damage when I was bounced and my engine died as I was vectored towards Eastchurch. I belly landed in a field S of the airfield.

I claim:
1 Ju 87 confirmed
1 Ju 87 Probable

Campaign tally:

2 JU 87 destroyed
2 JU 87 as a probable
2 JU 87s as damaged
1 Bf 109 destroyed (confirmed)
2 BF 109 Probable
2 Dornier 17 destroyed
1 Dornier 17 damaged

Urizen

Post by Urizen » Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:38 pm

Mission 8 (Sun 01/12/12):
Duration: 30 minutes
Home Airfield: RAF Manston
Aircraft: SH-K; Spitfire MkIIa

Airfieldhopping continues, were transferred to Manston just today. Were ordered to Cap a convoy again. Took off at Pink 2, climbing to angels 15 headed towards Lympne, before being revectored towards Manston, at which point we were directly linked to FC. Spotted high flak, approximately at Angels 24, when i got bounced by a 109, leaving my left wing in shreds and my aileron control impaired. Made my way towards Eastchurch, where i crashlanded.

Claims: None
Pilot: Ok
Plane: SH-K heavily damaged

Kupsised

Post by Kupsised » Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:30 pm

Mission No.8 (02.12.2012)
Date: 12th August 1940
A/C: Hurricane Mk1 (100 oct) - SD-A - L2045

Took off as Red 2 With Tech Hawes as Red Leader and SAC Bully as Red 3 (after having been sat on the airfield for a good ten minutes playing I Spy until we were finally ordered to scramble). Got up in record time (around thirty seconds from scramble to wheels up I reckon), then climbed like hell towards the Thames Estury. When we got there we were bounced by a couple of flights of over-eager spits with a single 109 in the mix and Red 3 and myself became seperated from Red Leader as he picked up the 109 then dove away. Me and Red three were then ordered to intercept the bombed which were now heading towards the shipping. We had been told by control that the fighters were clear and we should have a clear shot, but we had multiple contacts on our six, so we were being wary. As we closed in I saw what I thought was a Stuka diving in to attack the ships, so followed, planning to catch him as I dived. It turned out that it was a Hurricane, and he went all the way down in to the sea. I had to pull hard to avoid going in my self and blacked out. As I came round at around 2,000ft I noticed I was surrounded by multiple contacts: all Stukas, without a 109 to be seen. Jackpot! Then I heard Bully shout out he'd picked up three 109's and was going in - obviously we hadn't been clear after all, and diving after that Hurricane by accident probably saved me.

I lined myself up on a Stuka and squeezed a burst in to him. Not being overly optimistic (Stukas seem to be made out of concrete) I was amazed when I saw black smoke pouring out of him and the cockpit pop. Both crew members jumped but I only saw one chute. Other one must have failed, poor bugger. I then lined myself up on another one, knowing I probably didn't have much time I emptied my guns in to him then broke away. He had a lot of fluid pouring from his radiator and wings, so I'm going to chalk him up as a probable. As I was winchester I decided to make my way to Eastchurch, just to the North, rather than risk running all the way home with no stones left to throw. I then noticed I Hurricane just infront of me, so on the off chance I called it through to Red Leader, asking him to give us a waggle, which he did, and it was him. I formed up on his 5 O'clock and let him know he was streaming badly from his radiator. He said his engine was nearly dead, so we decided we'd try and make it to Eastchurch together, not that I could offer much help with my guns empty.

My spider senses then told me I had a 109 on my 6. I hadn't seen him, but I had a feeling he was there, so pulled round hard to see the yellow nose bastard spitting lead right at me. Turning when I did probably saved me, and it was my second stroke of luck for the day. He got a few good hits though, knocking out my oil radiator and taking off one of my ailerons. Red Leader then said his engine had died, so I entered a small circuit to let him have the field to himself if he needed it, but he didn't quite make it and landed just short. I then went in myself, but my engine died about 100 yards short of the base with basically no speed. I pulled my flaps down, going for a belly landing, but at the last minute decided to punch the gear lever. One wheel dropped down instantly, but the second one didn't move until I was feet above the ground. The first wheel locked in with half a second to spare, and I landed, one wheel down, about 30 yards from the end of the base, prop still intact and pilot in mint condition with the aircraft only suffering engine damamge and minor structural damage. All in all, a good day. My first time making kills and landing relatively safely, and my kite with no problems that an evening in the hangers with the mechanical magicians won't sort. They'll probably be happy that I don't need a replacement prop for the first time in ages...

Kills: Ju87 (Confirmed by Tech Hawes, I saw the crew bail as well), Ju87 (Probable, leaking a lot of fluid from a lot of holes)
Aircraft: Ditched, but in one piece. Engine finished, aileron missing, but nothing that won't buff out.
Pilot: Unscathed and chuffed to bits

Campaign Tally:
1x Ju87 Confirmed
2x Ju87 Probable
2x Do17 Confirmed