Mission 9 : 12 August 1940

RAF From 540. Flight reports from the 3rd Battle of Britain Campaign. Only ACG RAF can post

Moderators: Board of Directors, Administration Staff, Skin Team, Treasurers

Urizen

Mission 9 : 12 August 1940

Post by Urizen » Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:31 pm

Second Storm of War Campaign

Mission 9 (Sun 02/12/12):
Duration: 60 minutes
Home Airfield: RAF Kenley
Aircraft: SH-K; Spitfire IIa

It´s good to be back home again. Orders are to head to Brighton and await further Instructions. Took off as Red 3 from RAF Kenley. We headed south towards Brighton, climbing to Angels 19. On Arrival we circled the area for brief time, before being instructed to head for Beechy Head. On arrival we were vectored south again, 5 minutes later we were ordered to circle the area, before being revectored north. Red 2 spotted contacts at 9 o´clock, at which point we headed towards the Isle of Wight and that´s where we spotted our prey. Ju-88s were heading north at approx. angels 10. Being at angels 18, i dove down, leveling out roughly 400yds behind a 88, lining up a shot, when i got wounded by incoming fire. Unable to pull up, i commited ritual suicide on the back of aforementioned 88.

Claims: none
Pilot: Pieces have yet to be found
Plane: Tailwheel was found in the Backyard of a Mrs. Pooch, Gosport

Hawes

Re: Mission 9 : 12 August 1940

Post by Hawes » Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:35 pm

Mission No.9 (2.12.2012)
Date: ( 12/8/1940)
A/C: Hurricane Mk1 (100 oct) - SD-T P3208

I took off with the rest of 501 and vectored to the Southhampton sector.
We met the enemy head on and I damaged 2 bombers.
I was then bounced by some 109s and I dropped to the deck and landed back at a friendly airfield.
I claim:
2 damaged Dornier 17

(sorry can’t remember much else, I was rather pissed by the end of this mission after an evening of Belgian beer tasting! :D )

Campaign tally:

2 JU 87 destroyed
2 JU 87 as a probable
2 JU 87s as damaged
1 Bf 109 destroyed (confirmed)
2 BF 109 Probable
2 Dornier 17 destroyed
3 Dornier 17 damaged

Dickie
Group Captain
Group Captain
ACG Board
contributor

Re: Mission 9 : 12 August 1940

Post by Dickie » Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:52 pm

Mission No.9 (2.12.2012)
Date: ( 12/8/1940)
A/C: Hurricane Mk1 (100 oct) - SD-K L2329

After a considerable delay At Readiness 501 were ordered to scramble and head down to Brighton to assist the chaps in Sector A who were having some trouble with the Hun. We rendezvoused with the Canadians over Beachy Head at angels 20 before command gave an order to get stuck in. The trouble was, it seemed that whilst other squadrons were having fun the enemy had turned westbound and were running from us and it took a full 15 minutes at top speed to catch them up, worse still by then the main group had been broken up and we had terrible trouble finding them. I eventually spotted a pair of Ju88's being attacked by Spitfires over Southampton at angels 12 and decided to show them how it was done. After adjusting my gunsight to the regulation 68ft I lined up a beam attack firing on the leader's starboard quarter from 200 to 50 yards. His engine began to pour out glycol and oil, then began to burn. I witnessed him falling down into the Solent and the crew jumping out. I claim a 1/2 destroyed on this Hun. Fritz, his partner in crime must've seen this fine shooting and tried to shallow dive away but I was having none of this and gave chase. Another Spitfire had the same idea and the clot cut in front of me but his shooting was not good and he only seemed to scratch him. I then had a small chance of shooting and raked him from Starboard engine to port engine via the fuselage causing several leaks and lots of damage. I was so close I saw a terrible thing I shall not forget, as my bullets struck home into the rear gun area and blood covered the broken glass as the body behind slumped forwards. His friend inside the greenhouse grabbed him and he moved in a most unnatural way due to the fatal injuries I had inflicted, realising he was gone forever. As I pulled away to port I asked myself if Goering really had the stomach for this, those Nazi's had sent other this young crew to be massacred by my Brownings. But I would do my duty to the King and to the Country and so I set up another attack. This time I fired into the port engine at 300yards until it poured out black smoke and ceased to turn. With my thumb pressed on the Dunlop button I swung to the other engine and fired my remaining ammunition into that too causing it to belch essential fluids and splutter, many holes also appeared in the wing and fuel sprayed out. The Ju then wheeled over to starboard in a deadly dive and fell all the way out of sight and out of control. I did not see any parachutes. I claim this Ju88 as destroyed. Since I was out of ammunition I decided to pop up down at Westhampnett and pop into the mess for some fresh tea and calm myself. There I bumped into some of the chaps from No.310 who were celebrating some claims, at least I think so because it was all in Czech chitter chatter. Somebody ought to tell them that Gentlemen drive on the left and with great consideration for others, because upon landing their Hurricanes, marked 'NN', they were stacked inconsiderately in the taxiways! Still, I was not in the mood for orders and did not wish to tear the strip off a happy bunch or put up a black with their commander since it would damage their moral when we really need it, but I couldn't stop thinking about the young chap I had seen killed today, combined with the good chaps we've lost - I think this war is getting to me.

Claims
Destroyed
1 and 1 half Ju88