Mission 2 : July 1940

RAF From 540. Flight reports from the 2nd Battle of Britain Campaign. Only ACG RAF can post

Moderators: Board of Directors, Administration Staff, Skin Team, Treasurers

Robo

Mission 2 : July 1940

Post by Robo » Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:39 pm

No.501

Mission No.2 (1.7.2012)

Duration - 39 minutes
Hurricane Mk.I (100 octane fuel), SD-R

Took of from Lympne at 09:30, cap at angels 16-18 at Dover - Folkstone area. At 16.000 feet, the flight got involved in a dogfight with enemy fighters, I've seen at least 4 Bf 109s engaged in a fight with Spitfires probably from No.64 Squadron. Trying to help a Spitfire in a trouble I attacked a 109 and followed this fight all the way to teh deck. I managed to catch the German plane in a low level flight and damaged if with a long burst from its 6 o'clock position. The plane ceased the attack and broke to the East towards the French coast, leaking fuel and glycol heavily, parts of his tailplane missing. I turned back inland to get some altitude, I observed some low flak in the Deal area and continued flying westwards. I got engaged by enemy fighter who tried to bounce me but lost me in the process after I performed a series of sharp turns underneath his nose. After a while my engine stopped and I had to crash land in the vincinity. I am not sure what caused the damage, it might be the attacking 109 (although I haven't seen him shooting) or the friendly flak, but most probably my engine seized because of high RPM settings.

I claim 1 Bf 109 probably destroyed.
Pilot ok
Plane SD-R belly landed at 10:09

Bounder

No.64 Squadron SoW campaign reports

Post by Bounder » Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:20 am

Mission 2 (01/07/12):
Duration: 1hour 7 minutes
Spitfire Ia (100 octane fuel)

Took off from Lympne, formed up with 64 Squadron and flew cap 16-18 over Dover area. Came into contact with large group of single engine fighters, braced for combat but upon closing fighters identified as another RAF wing. As we were passing through the friendly group enemy fighters were called out. Managed to get solid hits on a bf109 as it approached a friendlies six, the bf109 broke and dove to the deck venting. In the ensuing dogfight we got a little spread out and low over Dover, whilst we were searching for Nitrous who was entertaining 3 109s, I heard the call from Robo that a sneaky bf109 was creeping up on me and managed to evade (cheers Robo). As the bf109s started to disappear, a squadron of bf110s hit Dover low on the deck. I drilled one bf110 full of holes, he went inverted on the deck venting heavily and so I broke to engage another thinking the 1st 110 would go in shortly; the 2nd 110 proved less difficult and went down quickly as a result of a pilot kill. Received light damage from a friendly whilst engaged with the bf110s. We were joined by more RAF fighters and the remaining bf110s were cleared from Blighty promptly. Returned to Lympne airfield and landed with Nitrous.

Claims: one bf109 damaged; one bf110 heavily damaged; one bf110 destroyed.
Pilot: ok
Plane: SH-B ok, light damage received.
Last edited by Bounder on Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
My PC specs: Win10 64 Pro, CPU i7-3820 4.4GHz, 16GB RAM, GPU Nvidia 1070 (8gb vram).
Controls: Microsoft FFB2, Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle, MFG Crosswind Pedals, TrackIR5, & a bottle of Scotch.