Mission 3 : August 1940

RAF From 540. Flight reports from the 2nd Battle of Britain Campaign. Only ACG RAF can post

Moderators: Board of Directors, Administration Staff, Skin Team, Treasurers

Robo

Mission 3 : August 1940

Post by Robo » Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:40 pm

Mission No.3 (8.7.2012)

Duration - 1 hour 06 minutes
Hurricane Mk.I (100 octane fuel), SD-R

Gravesend - patrol at 15.000ft. Various reports of enemy activity and especially fighters which we tried to avoid. In a turn in Eastchurch area we've been attacked by enemy fighters. Two Hurricanes shot down in fast sequence, diving to the deck and re-forming with Hollywood over to Gravesend. As per S/L instructions we headed towards Hawkinge / Lympne area. Four Hurricanes entered the area and engaged with enemy fighters at S/L up to 7000ft. I claim 1 Bf109 destroyed although I had no time to watch him crash. I've seen him diving vertically to the ground after a long burst from 300+ yards, the e/a was clearly on fire after the initial attack. I also claim another 2 Bf 109s damaged - both venting glycol and fuel. After the rest of the flight got damaged and bailed out (Osprey and Holywood) I decided to return to base, landed ok at Gravesend.

I claim 2 Bf 109 damaged, 1 Bf 109 probably destroyed
Pilot: ok
Plane: SD-R ok
Boost Cutout not used

Bounder

Re: No.64 Squadron SoW campaign reports

Post by Bounder » Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:24 am

Mission 3 (08/07/12):
Duration: 33 minutes
Spitfire 1a (100 octane fuel)

Took off from Hawkinge, formed up with 64 Squadron with Nitrous & Fenris flying 1st pair and myself and Yranic as second pair. Proceeded to climb, at round 15 thousand feet spotted large formations of bombers on the deck coming in from the channel toward Folkstone area. Immediately as the bombers were sighted we were pounded on from above and behind by an unseen squadron of bf109s. Yranic was lost in the initial attack, I became separated from the lead 64 pair whilst evading an attack from a bf109. A second bf109 joined the first – I attempted to evade but eventually succumbed to a side attack from one whilst the other attacked from above and behind. Continued to attempt to escape but was joined by a third 109 and took heavy damage forcing a bail out over Hawkinge airfield. Thankfully the chute opened and I landed safely just east of Hawkinge.

Claims: none
Pilot: Shaken but not stirred, bailed out over Hawkinge.
Plane: SH-B lost
My PC specs: Win10 64 Pro, CPU i7-3820 4.4GHz, 16GB RAM, GPU Nvidia 1070 (8gb vram).
Controls: Microsoft FFB2, Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle, MFG Crosswind Pedals, TrackIR5, & a bottle of Scotch.