Mission 4 : August 1940

RAF From 540. Flight reports from the 2nd Battle of Britain Campaign. Only ACG RAF can post

Moderators: Board of Directors, Administration Staff, Skin Team, Treasurers

Robo

Mission 4 : August 1940

Post by Robo » Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:40 pm

Mission No.4c (22.7.2012)

Duration - 1 hour 12 minutes
Hurricane Mk.I (100 octane fuel), SD-R

Gravesend - patrol at angels 19, flown as Gold leader with Czech pilot Valec (no.3) and Siddich (no.2) At Eastchurch area spotted 2 enemy bombers heading south at Angels 10, identified as Dorniers. One e/a already under attack of a friendly fighter, I confirm this bomber destroyed. Gold section attacked the remaining bomber and we claim it destroyed. After my initiall attack, left engine and front fuselage were hit, after the attack finished we climbed up and watched the bomber dive into the ground helplesly. Reform in Rochester area at angels 16, no.2 joined a wrong squad and was heard over R/T to be landed safely at Eastchurch after a dogfight with enemy fighters, claiming one damaged but also receiving hits. Stayed with No.3 for the rest of the flight. Red section involved in dogfight with 109 at the deck around Eastchurch area but despite long effort we failed to locat them. Another dogfight observed further to the East, Spitfire attacked by a pair of 109s. I followed the attack with Valec and we helped the Spitfire pilot by chasing one 109 away and shooting the other one down. We dove on the climbibng yellow noses but they spotted us and one broke away diving while the other one tried to extend horizontally. Valec got himself into good position and with a 4 second burst, he set the e/a on fire. I confirm 1 Bf 109 destroyed. I tried to give a chase after the remaining 109 but he was too fast for our Hurricanes so we turned back and climbed back to the Eastchurch area. With bingo fuel we eventually returned to base, landing ok

I claim 1 Do-17 destroyed in cooperation (Siddich, Valec)
Pilot: ok
Plane: SD-R ok
Boost Cutout not used

Bounder

Re: No.64 Squadron SoW campaign reports

Post by Bounder » Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:25 am

Mission 4: First Go (15/07/12)
Duration: 50 minutes
Spitfire 2a

Took off from Biggin Hill with 64 Squadron and vectored toward Dungeness climbing to 18 thousand feet. Upon arrival began cap in designated area. No enemy contacts were sighted, upon notification that the server would restart we vectored to Manston. Low flying 109s engaged over the bay on the deck, got hits on one 109 (Pitii) before the server abruptly ended.

Claims: one 109 damaged.
Plane: SH-B ok (no damage received)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mission 4 Second Go (server reset 15/07/12):
Duration: 1hour 25 minutes
Spitfire 2a

Took off from Biggin Hill, again vectored toward Dungeness climbing to 18-20 thousand feet. Spotted 109 squadron at our close 10 O’clock heading in from the channel. 109s appeared to spot us late as well, as they passed us, probably due to visibility conditions. 109s came around, 64 Squadron split into two groups and broke around onto the 109s. A very good high altitude dogfight ensued and we were able to keep together and give the Hun a good trashing. Got hits on one 109 who dove and appeared to head for home. 64 Squadron managed to drive off the invading 109s which one by one headed for home after realising they were no match! One of 64 was experiencing engine problems and RTB’d toward Manston. As we were beginning to reform to head for Manston I engaged with a lone 109 by diving in from above and behind – I got good solid hits, 109 lost his rudder and vented heavily including oil. The 109 dove for the deck just off Deal, I gave chase but was forced to disengage as I was joined by a second 109 which attempted to bounce me. Seeing the second 109 had superior energy I disengaged and headed toward Deal to meet Gromic; the second appeared at first to follow but disengaged as I neared land. Joined up with Gromic and Fenris and RTB’d toward Biggin Hill, upon arrival airfield was busy so I vectored to nearby Kenley and landed.

Claims: one 109 damaged; one 109 heavily damaged (server reported a crash land but he has no records for the 2nd go at mission 4 at all).
Plane: SH-B ok (no damage received)
My PC specs: Win10 64 Pro, CPU i7-3820 4.4GHz, 16GB RAM, GPU Nvidia 1070 (8gb vram).
Controls: Microsoft FFB2, Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle, MFG Crosswind Pedals, TrackIR5, & a bottle of Scotch.

Bounder

Post by Bounder » Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:25 am

Mission 4 Third Go (22/07/12):
Duration: 1hour 24 minutes
Spitfire 2a

Took off from Biggin Hill with 64 Squadron, vectored again for Dungeness. Communications with Squadron temporarily lost (damn TS) but re-established just before reaching our cap sector – patrolled at 20 thousand feet. 109s were spotted a couple of miles inland of Folkstone and high altitude dogfight ensued. The entire 109 squadron appeared to lock on to Yranic and follow him in a conga line. Closed in on the rear of the conga line and got hits on a breaking 109 who dove to the deck. Spotted a lone bf110 over hell’s corner, coming in from the channel. Closed on bf110 who dove attempting to maintain distance. Bf110 very slowly turned back toward France and as I was just entering firing distance I spotted a bf109 closing in from behind. I broke from the bf110 and became engaged with the 109 over hell’s corner, he got a snap shot on me and I received one hit on the right wing which showed no visible damage but knocked out a starboard gun(s). Returned fire on the attacking 109 giving light damage before Yranic arrived to give him a good trashing. Yranic was experiencing engine trouble but came regardless and got hits on the 109 despite suffering severe buffeting when firing. We ended up over the bay south of Manston/Ramsgate with a number of 109s in the area. The bf110 appeared again and I managed to get sustained hits with my port guns, damaging the bf110 but could not do enough to bring him down with only my port guns. Bf110 broke heading out to sea east of Ramsgate. Yranic and I patrolled Manston briefly but due to battle damage returned to Biggin Hill. I landed at good old Kenely as multiple Spitfires were at Biggin Hill on finals.

Claims: two 109s damaged; one bf110 damaged.
Plane: SH-B ok, light damage received, no visible damage but starboard gun(s) disabled.

edit: possible partial claim on the 2nd 109 by myself, Yranic, 71st Macro, 41Sqn_MiK and 41Sqn_Stormcrow. Pilot 5./JG27 Vogler's log reveal he received damage to a/c by myself and Yranic and was heavily wounded by Yranic. Later he received sustained damage from 41Sqn_MiK and then from 41Sqn_Stormcrow where upon server shows disconnection under fire without landing - SoW mission log file shows a crash land and immediate disconnect.
Last edited by Bounder on Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:00 pm, edited 4 times in total.
My PC specs: Win10 64 Pro, CPU i7-3820 4.4GHz, 16GB RAM, GPU Nvidia 1070 (8gb vram).
Controls: Microsoft FFB2, Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle, MFG Crosswind Pedals, TrackIR5, & a bottle of Scotch.

Urizen

Post by Urizen » Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:38 am

Mission 4 (22/07/12):
Duration: 50 minutes
Spitfire 2a

Took off at Biggin Hill and quickly formed on Bounder´s 7 o´clock. Whilst passing near Lympne, received Report of enemy A/C in the vicinity.
Upon investigating, enemy A/C turned out to be 109´s, Squadron engaged at once. Due to a nasty slideshow on my end, i had to stay out of the
furball, only to find myself in a little dance with 2 109s. My left wing got turned into swiss cheese, my plane was leaking coolant and as i found out
at Eastchurch, a bullet nearly hit my left shoulder. Tried multiple times to set up a 109 for Gromic. As i was clear, i signaled Gromic, that i have to RTB.
Immediately set course for Eastchurch. First attempt to land unsuccessful, due to flaps malfunction. Second attempt successful. On Rollout Plane SH-K took a dive into the dirt.

Claims: none
Pilot: lightly wounded
Plane: SH-K damaged

Jean-Francois

Re: No.501 SoW campaign reports

Post by Jean-Francois » Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:58 pm

Server starting at 1800 Zulu time (GMT)

Sunday 20th of July, N°501 Sq.

Red1 Osprey
Red2 Jean-François
Red3 (Robo ?)

1807Z
Red 2 spawning at 18h 07 Zulu time, Gravesend airfield
Surprised by the air start, lost sight of my section at once
Heading North towards the Thames, then West to London

1815Z (appr.)
Spotted the gold section first and then red section just behind
Forming on the red section leader's 5 o'clock, red 3 is at lead's 7
Red one, two and three are healthy and formed up
Both sections are now heading East at altitude

1830Z (appr.)
Spotted 2 contacts at 11 low heading left, radio Tx to leader
Spitfires, we form on their 7, no radio contact
We break away towards North
Cruising at 20'000 high power

1842Z
Red 3 starting to depart to the right
Poor pilot passing above in a slow climibing right hand turn
Red 3 vertical above us, I assum he has an oxygen issue
Radio Tx to the leader we are loosing Red 3

1858Z
3 contacts Me 109 spotted ahead, lower, 10 miles E-NE Eastchurch
Following leader in a right hand descending spiral
Descending to 5'000 ft, loosing visual contact on leader
Hear red leader engaging on radio
Leader's on trouble, claiming damages

1900Z (appr.)
5 visual contacts, engaging
Coming on the tail of 109 engaging leaking Red leader
Hear "break break break" on the radio, doing so
Me 109 passing by me very close
Engaging the pursuer
Leader is going down, by now I have 3 Me 109 flying around on the deck, 5 miles Eastchurch over water

Tracers passing by very close
Multiple hit in the engine and airframe
Engine is damaged and slowing down, it goes over within seconds
I start a glide towards the coast
Controls are ok and the airframe appears steady
I can do the firm earth, Eastchurch in sight, with spare room and altitude for an emergency landing

Me 109 is not going to leave the prey
Multiple new hits, the controls are going away, the airframe starts to disassemble

1902Z
Controls are gone, airframe breaking apart, Red 2 has gone

Aircraft and pilot are lost over the water, 3 miles east from the coast, Eastchurch