In memory of Spike

Where you can pick up on your daily propaganda

Moderators: Board of Directors, Command

Bonkin

In memory of Spike

Post by Bonkin » Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:24 pm

All,

Here is our ACG video in rememberence of Spike from No.610 Squadron. Symbolically, it is a journey from the sea to the land and onwards to the clouds, filled with the sounds of the English countryside in summer. The journey takes us past a chiming church to an airfield where the breeze is gently catching the windsock. The empty hangar and lack of aircraft reflects the fact that the bond of the men who form the squadron are away - although as the twelth chime rings out the sound of the merlins can be heard approaching...

The missing man salute concludes with the lone Spitfire disappearing into the light of the sun - meaning a joining with the daeity for the religiously minded.

I must admit, in all my time as a member of ACG I'd never chatted with Spike - but what became quite clear to me during the course of making this small video is just what a wonderful gentleman he was.

Like all of us here, he had a passion for flight and the warbirds of WW2 - but the message which came through to me time and time again was just how much of an unassuming interesting character and thoroughly pleasant chap he was to be around with. His life was all about his family and his love of flight. I somehow feel that I missed out on chatting with him. His passing was a particular shock to the members of No.610 but also to the rest of ACG as well and it goes without saying that he will be sadly missed.

If anything, making this has reminded me of how great it is to share my own passions and interests with you fine people of ACG - and also to have the opportunity to get together to meet you in person at events like Duxford Flying Legends. I'm deeply grateful for your companionships, rib-tickling banter and gratuitious humorous slander - and I salute you all.

Here's to Spike (Dave Christian), and here's to the future of ACG.

Bonks.

Matt
Pilot Officer
Pilot Officer
Sqn Cdr

Re: In memory of Spike

Post by Matt » Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:33 pm

Lost for words , brilliant video..

Proud to be a part of 610 , ACG and helping out with the flying.

Screwball

Post by Screwball » Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:35 pm

Very beautiful and touching. I have never had the pleasure of meeting Spike himself but I'm sure someone worth all of this effort from 610 must've been one hell of a guy.

You guys are amazing.
"I had a feeling of the essential rightness of it all, he was dead and I was alive. It could of so easily been the other way around and that would somehow have been right to."
-Richard Hillary

Luke

Post by Luke » Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:40 pm

As an ex 610 Pilot this tribute to Spike was brilliant. Screwball said it perfectly, Very beautiful and touching. Rest in Peace spike my friend, my comrade.

Miek

Post by Miek » Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:43 pm

It's very hard to not get choked up by this. Wonderful job. Simply wonderful.

RIP Spike.

Baron le Scrope

Post by Baron le Scrope » Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:03 pm

I never knew Spike, but it's always sad and sobering to lose a respected member, god rest your soul.
Beautifully presented Bonk's. B.
Antec 900 case,/ Sabertooth P67 MoBo,/ Intel corei7 2600cpu-/- MSI GTX 970 4G Graphics, --WD-1Tb Velociraptor HDD--16g Corsair 2133Mhz Ram/-- Corsair TX 850w PSU /--Samsung40"led TV, TrackiR5, CH J/sick. Warthog Throttle. Corsair Vengeance 2100 H/set/mike. W10 Pro 64, /---Two slightly depressed teabags.

Think nothing of it sir, it was the least I could do, a quantity I specialize in.

Jaydog
Hauptmann
Hauptmann
Staffelkapitan

Post by Jaydog » Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:08 pm

Beautiful video and wonderful Tribute! Well done Bonkin. Well done. RIP Spike.

i9-9900k, 3.6 GHz, GeForce RTX 3090 FE, 64 GB RAM, 1 TB Samsung EVO SSD, 480 GB SSD, 1 TB SATA III Hard Drive, Windows 10, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro Joystick, Warthog Flight Stick, Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS HOTAS, Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals; MFG Crosswinds, VR: Oculus Rift S/ Reverb G2 / Pimax Crystal

Von Archie

Post by Von Archie » Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:12 pm

Lovely tribute. RIP Spike.
i5 4690k / MSI Gaming 5 / 2 x 8 GB Crucial Ballistix ram / Zotac AMP! 980Ti / 2 x 250 SSDs
VPC MongoosT-50 joystick / MFG Crosswind pedals / GVL 109/111 Throttle / Oculus Rift

Onebad

Post by Onebad » Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:16 pm

Beautiful. Bonkin, lads, well done. Here's to Spike.

Bunny

Post by Bunny » Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:20 pm

Simply perfect all who took part - a great way to honour Spike.

“It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes I-16s.” - Douglas Adams