Adding Weather to Missions - Part 2

Discussion regarding mapping and missions in here - we are talking FMB chaps. Perhaps you are building a mission for the server or for campaign? Talk to the experts - we always need people willing to muck in so don't be shy!

Moderators: Board of Directors, Command

Larry

Re: Adding Weather to Missions - Part 2

Post by Larry » Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:56 pm

Marvelous work Bonkin! :) I use to work with clouds, and I`m also lucky that nobody asked me how it works, because I coudn`t explain that. :oops:

"We were the last bastion of defence.
After us, there was nothing."

Fighter Pilot Ken Wilkinson No 19 Sqn. Summer 1940.

Meaker

Post by Meaker » Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:56 pm

Top work with the weather Bonks,I know I don't fly Campaign nights anymore,but one has got to admire talent such as this........I salute you Sir :salute:

Dickie
Group Captain
Group Captain
ACG Board
contributor

Post by Dickie » Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:35 am

Meaker I don't know if you are aware of who that person is in your avatar?

That is F/L Christopher 'Bunny' Currant, DSO, DFC and bar No.605 Sqn. So the genuine "Bunny" :D

Bunny

Post by Bunny » Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:03 pm

I've always loved his name - "Currant Bunny" :D Reminds me, my great uncle was always known as Uncle Bun - absolutely no idea why.

“It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes I-16s.” - Douglas Adams

Dickie
Group Captain
Group Captain
ACG Board
contributor

Post by Dickie » Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:19 pm

Impressive Bonks, really interesting. I certainly think that you should be talking to Thaine for his viewpoint on whatever you want to use though, since he's a professional meteorologist, not that you don't know what a cloud is - you are certainly the foremost weatherman in the FMB though!

This one though, I think that this is really accurate actually, only they should probably be a higher layer. Seen these sorts of formations from airliners heading into Britain

Also, since you have a couple of threads on this I think this whole thing could be turned into a web page in our Flight School, under the FMB section.
http://www.aircombatgroup.co.uk/flight_ ... tion=0#nav

Or at least stickied.

Thaine

Post by Thaine » Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:02 am

Great work Bonkin,
This looks really promising. Although it makes my heart cry to see what features were intended and not implemented (cloud turbulence, precipitation, etc...) :(
Dickie wrote: This one though, I think that this is really accurate actually, only they should probably be a higher layer. Seen these sorts of formations from airliners heading into Britain

Also, since you have a couple of threads on this I think this whole thing could be turned into a web page in our Flight School, under the FMB section.
http://www.aircombatgroup.co.uk/flight_ ... tion=0#nav
Dickie is right on that one though. That's typical weather for nice summer forenoons, when cloud development is just about to kick off, or after a cold front passage.

Here you see that the coverage of cumulus is varying a bit, but especially in the north there's rather shallow and sparse cloud coverage. Mind you. FEW means 1-2 octas, so not many at all.

I'll have a look at the archives and see what I can gather about the weather in 1940. I started that endeavor before and it's not easy, because Meteorology was still in it's infancy during that era. But I might get some cornerstones and at least give some realistic values for cloud height, type and coverage.

Looking forward to it.
Fractal Design Define R6 / Gigabyte Z390 AORUS MASTER / Intel i9-9900K / 32 GB RAM / NVIDIA GeForce GTX2080Ti / WD Black SN750 / Corsair Hydro H100i RGB Platinum / Corsair RM850x / WINDOWS 10 / LG 42LE5300 / TrackIR / HP Reverb G2 / Saitek AV8R-MK3 / Saitek ProFlight Throttle Quadrant / Saitek ProFlight Rudder Paddels / Saitek ProFlight Cessna Trim Wheel