Post by Mooch » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:06 am

Nope. Nvidia GeForce GTX 965M

Bunny
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant
Contributor

Re: White Stripes? (Not the band)

Post by Bunny » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:44 am

Is it always just above the ground plane? Mystic, could it be something to do with ground fog or some such?
"A good landing is one you can walk away from. A great landing is one you can walk away from with your pint intact."

Mooch
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Mooch » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:22 pm

Hey Bunny,

Yes, it's always just above the ground as in the picture. However every now and then (maybe once every second flight) when I turn at altitude the wings will get that white wash look for a bit as I bank. I suspect at altitude it may be something to do with the way it's rendering glare from the sun. Not gonna lie, it's pretty annoying.

Cheers,

Mooch

Mysticpuma

Post by Mysticpuma » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:29 pm

While this post isn't exactly going to help, it was from a guy running a GTX 960M:

So, this is the kind of thread that can spark a lot of discussion and, unfortunately, confusion. I hope we can keep it manageable. The fact is that, in practice, no two PCs are identical, and the performance one gets is due to a combination of many (maybe hundreds) of parameters. There are however some parameters that make the biggest difference, so the discussion should focus on those.

Here is what I have:
- High-end Asus Zen Laptop: Intel i7, 4 cores, 2.5 GHz, 16 GB RAM, Intel Integrated HD 4k graphics card with NVIDIA GTX 960M (8GB VRAM) GPU. The GPU is DirectX 11 compatible.
- CLOD BLITZ (TF 4.5 patch from Steam)
- HOTAS: Saitek X-52, CH Pro Pedals, Track IR 4.5

Here is what I tried and the results:
- Firstly, I tried running the game in full 4K resolution, just for baseline: at 3840 x 2160, video profile set as High in CLOD. Result: getting about 7 FPS. Clearly unplayable (did not expect otherwise). NVIDIA Control Panel (NCP): Default settings with latest driver.
- 4K resolution, but with video details on Medium. Result: 7 FPS. Same as before. Not shocking, but I would have expected a modest improvement.
- 4K resolution, with video details on Low. Result: 8 FPS. I would have expected a bigger change.

Then, I started lowering the resolution. Before BLITZ, I was playing IL-2 CLOD TF 4.3 at 2560 x 1440, High Video settings, getting about 25 FPS.
- I tried 2560 x 1440 resolution and High video settings: getting only 15 FPS on BLITZ.
- Lowered resolution to 1920 x 1085, getting about 40 FPS, Medium video settings, about 50 FPS with Low Video Settings. Due to the high amount of "tearing" shown with Track IR when looking around, I had to turn on Vsync. I also tweaked the NCP settings for IL-2 CLOD BLITZ as shown in another thread on the forum. A note about NCP: the biggest difference on my system (being a laptop) was the NCP setting that "Optimizes for Performance" rather than power saving. Thus, at 1920 x 1085, 30 Hz, I get About 30 FPS, VSync on, with some other tweaking in the advanced video settings.

My takeaway messages:
1. The most important factor that determines performance is the resolution at which the game is played.
2. The most significant hardware bottleneck is the GPU, and in particular: a) the amount of RAM on the GPU and b) the number of GPU cores.
3. You need a *minimum* of 30 FPS to play the game reasonably well. Especially during takeoff, landing, and combat with many aircraft (furball, is the technical term). I think 60 FPS would be desirable for consistently smooth game-play (so I can disable VSync too).

---------------

additionally:

"turn off AA, turn off shadows and make sure mirror is off and turn down buildings, that should help. I'm not sure what minimum specs are but remember in a laptop probably every component, but certainly the GFX card, will be thermally lowering its running speed (my 980Ti does it in a full tower case if I push it very hard)"

----------

additionally:

I run similar specs in my laptop, and I'm getting the same steady 60fps. Make sure the new distant building shadows option is unchecked, that one is a killer. Otherwise, medium everything, anti-aliasing off, epilepsy filter, VSYNC and SSAO all unchecked. I think I use the nvidia control panel to limit to 60fps. I can run high settings but sometimes get stutters during furballs.

i7 6700hq, 8gb RAM, 960M 2gb in my rig.

-------------------------

additionally:

"Hey - I've managed to find the solution to my problems - and I have similar specs... For some reason Blitz addition was automatically running off my integrated graphics (auto-selecting them!)- hence the super slow frame-rates. I have switched this to my card on nvidia control panel, and now getting much better FPS!

----------------

additionally:

"Have you checked that the game isn't running off the integrated graphics?

I'm not familiar with the ATi Cards - is the vega a range or a specific model? Do you know what its Nvidia "Equivalent" is?

In some games, reinstalling the drivers for the card helped after big updates for some reason."

------------------

additionally:

On my machine game runs fine, go in and fly, but if I have to respawn after getting shot down the game is visible but the mouse clicks through the screen.
I have to cntrl/alt/dlt and kill it.

The fundamental problem child is Windows 10 Fall Creators update.
Whether or not this is a issue regarding video drivers not talking nicely to the Fall update or vice versa is unclear.
What is clear is that before the Win10 Fall update all was fine.

I have Nvidia graphics, there have been 2 driver updates since and none yield any better results.
Win10 Fall update also resets monitor calibration on each restart, its a bit of a mess really.

I have Win10 Pro and have uninstalled the Fall update, and deferred it for the max possible time (365 days) in the update settings.
The game runs perfectly again.

There is nothing critical in there that anyone could find useful really just bloatware and why MS believe pro versions of software require candycrush and the like is beyond me.
Critical updates still come through as per normal.

Out of interest, please post your hardware specs. (Mobo make and model, GPU, Ram,Cpu)

There have been (unrelated) issues in the past where specific brands of hardware have caused some little conflicts. Might be worth just gathering this info as some people seem to have no issues.

Mine
Asus Maximus VIII
Nvidia
36gb ram

Ways to roll back:
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/win ... 169?auth=1

------------------

additionally:

Make sure you have disabled any overlays, reshade, sweetfx, Steam, etc, etc

and finally, maybe look at disabling in the NCP:
Ambient Occlusion or changing it from performance to Quality (or vice versa).

Hope this helps?

Cheers, MP

StG77_CountZero

Post by StG77_CountZero » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:11 pm

This no longer existis in 4.5 "...turn off shadows..."

How can we turn them off now in 4.5 ? and why is this option removed in 4.5 from when it worked ok in 4.3, only reson i could see is to make room for far shadows that i dont know what they do. Hope new fsx patch brings back option to turn of shadows, that will give 10-15fps back for sure. I would rather have option back to turn off shadows, then have to lower resolution and have pixelated shadows to get same fps. So if it was in game and worked ok why comlicate stuff in 4.5.

Mooch
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Mooch » Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:45 am

Guess I'll try some of these ideas. Interestingly, I have no issues with frame rates at all. Everything is just as smooth as 4.3 was. Yesterday I was again getting the intermittent 'whitewash' effect on the wing when turning across the sun, not all the time though. Which makes me wonder about shadows or glare or something. Guess I'll play with some settings.

Mooch
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Mooch » Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:26 am

Ok, I think I've fixed it.

I hadn't realized that blitz has its own launcher.exe file (yes, I'm an idiot), and so NVIDIA reverted to global settings to run blitz. And because NVIDIA doesn't add the new launcher to the drop down menu in program settings when I looked at the drop down list there was Launcher with my custom settings. It was only when I clicked the Add button did I realize there was a new launcher for blitz.

So I matched the NVIDIA program specific settings to the ones I used for 4.3 and the stripe is gone.

Mysticpuma

Post by Mysticpuma » Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:34 am

Woooohoooo!