Operation Firestarter - BayS ToD 1 Briefing

Founding grounds of ACG.

Moderators: Board of Directors, Command

BlackDog

Re: Operation Firestarter - BayS ToD 1 Briefing

Post by BlackDog » Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:35 pm

MIssion Update for this Saturday... there will be TWO sorties for this event. So RAF pilots will definitely get chance to fly a second sortie (When scrambled) and it will depend on whether any LW pilots are still flying as to whether they get to fly again... :D

:salute:
BD
We are the Pilgrims, master; we shall go always a little further; it may be beyond that last blue mountain barred with snow across that angry or that glimmering sea

Django

Post by Django » Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:55 pm

Hi BD. I'm hoping to fly this weekend, ideally Hurricane. Which server? and is there a password?

BlackDog

Post by BlackDog » Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:08 pm

Django hi, will add you to Hurricanes... just need to be in your TS briefing channel at 6pm and details are provided then.

BD
We are the Pilgrims, master; we shall go always a little further; it may be beyond that last blue mountain barred with snow across that angry or that glimmering sea

Johnny

Post by Johnny » Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:07 pm

Sorry for the short notice but its unlikely ill make the first shift tonight or maybe even the second as something important came up at the last moment I wasnt expecting. Will try to make the second shift but cant guarantee nothing.

Johnny

BlackDog

Post by BlackDog » Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:28 pm

Lucky, lucky boy... if I had been playing fully (As opposed to experience adder and photographer..).... you would be a dead Hurricane pilot... :twisted:

bye bye...

BD
Last edited by BlackDog on Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:46 pm, edited 7 times in total.

Grunt
Pilot Officer
Pilot Officer

Post by Grunt » Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:33 pm

I dropped the ball today. Sorry guys I completely forgot about the flight.

BlackDog

Post by BlackDog » Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:54 am

Operation Firestarter - Mission 1 Review

So last night the RAF, low on numbers due to units having been put on leave following months of Battle over Britain, faced two pre-Blitz raids.

The first raid of 36 Do17 bombers flew up the eastern coast past the town of Deal at 6000m and it looked like the target was London. As the bombers crossed over the Manston peninsular, the replacement 151 Sqn, brought down from Scotland to relieve front line units, were climbing out of their new operating base at North Weald.

As Top Hat control vectored the Hurricanes toward the bomber raid, it turned away and headed out to the North Sea, it appears the Germans pulled a decoy raid, as a much larger raid of 53 He111 bombers started crossing the channel heading for Dungeness.

151 Sqn diverted and headed to Dungeness to try and intercept the bombers before they went feet dry. As they neared the area, a small flight of Me110's intercepted them and managed to succeed in dragging the Hurricanes away from the main bomber force. Eventually the fighters realised the ploy by one of the very seasoned Me110 pilots (HansWind) and they began heading back to the bombers but as a unit they were fragmented. The Germans had won the first mind game...

In the setting sun, the contrails turned orange and the main force of bombers headed toward the Gatwick/Kenley area. The Hurricanes suddenly encountered the true terror of attacking bombers in such large formations and the price was heavy. No longer can you sit blaring away at one bomber until it goes down... Now they had EIGHT other bombers in that schwarm aiming their guns at the incoming fighter.... this is a new experience for many.

This allowed the Me110's to climb back to their bombers and by the time they reached the main wave, most the RAF fighters were down. (Those pilots in the 110's must be applauded as many were flying the 110 for the very first time in their 'CLoD' history.)

Top Hat Control suddenly gives the bad news to 151 Sqn who are reforming to take another sortie. The orginal bombers who turned away, have turned back and are now heading toward Southend. 36 Do17's coming from the North, Now 40+ bombers still heading up from the South, the unit will have to separate and attack both raids.

What seemed like tough odds before, were now horrific and the sun was setting beneath the horizon making the skies dark as night approached.

The Me110's were joined by a few Me109's on the Southern bomber force, which turned over Croydon and headed toward central London. As they neared Battersea, the bombs started falling and it was clear they wanted to take out the power station. But the light was getting bad and as no prior bombs had been dropped in the area causing fires, they had little to guide them and so vast swathes of the area surrounding Battersea were hit.

Meanwhile the Northern Bomber main force reached their objective of Hendon and caused significant damage to the area.

As the vast majority of the bombers turned for Home, the RAF pilots realised just how hard this Tour of Duty was going to be...battling light levels, vast formations of enemy aircraft and snappers free to roam and select targets, it was now apparent as to why Galland achieved so many kills....when your objective is to defeat the bombers, you must always check your six.....

Welcome to the Blitz gentlemen........ be ready to go up again next week..

BD

Jaydog
Hauptmann
Hauptmann
Staffelkapitan

Post by Jaydog » Sun Oct 21, 2018 3:41 pm

Beautiful pics BD...I look forward to getting back into some of that action in February :salute:

i9-9900k, 3.6 GHz, GeForce RTX 3090 FE, 64 GB RAM, 1 TB Samsung EVO SSD, 480 GB SSD, 1 TB SATA III Hard Drive, Windows 10, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro Joystick, Warthog Flight Stick, Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS HOTAS, Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals; MFG Crosswinds, VR: Oculus Rift S/ Reverb G2 / Pimax Crystal

Biggs

Post by Biggs » Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:55 am

I actually made it down in the inky blackness... aided by some burning hangers... lost both wings but i walked away from it.

the raids were very impressive. Highest number ive seen together.

you have a really good thing going BD. see you next saturday.

Genisis

Post by Genisis » Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:15 pm

Fantastic bomber formations, I didnt know where to start..............Got 2 but damaged and crash landed at Eastchurch in the dark{ Pot luck} smashing shot of Django going down,,,,,,,,,Roll on next week, WE NEED MORE PILOTS...... thanks a lot BD