Location: The centre of the known universe Nottingham, England

Re: Tobruk "what's it like?" thread

Post by Ginger » Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:25 pm

Thaine wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:08 pm
StG77_CountZero wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:51 pm
[...]
untill BoX get its visability fixed or SpitXIV comes in 2021 WT tanks is best bet for quality online enviroment for now. [...]
The best bet for a quality online environment is the ACG campaign, on whichever sim that might be.

I think Thaine's hit the nail on the head +1 :salute:
DEAD PILOTS DONT MAKE CLAIMS

Onebad

Post by Onebad » Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:45 pm

Ginger wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:25 pm
Thaine wrote:
StG77_CountZero wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:51 pm
[...]
untill BoX get its visability fixed or SpitXIV comes in 2021 WT tanks is best bet for quality online enviroment for now. [...]
The best bet for a quality online environment is the ACG campaign, on whichever sim that might be.

Hell to the yea yeah, baby.

Konaber

Post by Konaber » Tue Aug 11, 2020 2:21 pm

Onebad wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:45 pm
Ginger wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:25 pm
Thaine wrote:

Hell to the yea yeah, baby.

Wolverine

Post by Wolverine » Tue Aug 11, 2020 3:29 pm

Question for those who have it:

Has the 'all dogs on one bone' AI issue been fixed? Where the first enemy aircraft the AI flight sees is the only one they go after? Basically, do AI fighters evaluate potential threats and target opportunities better?
Virtual No.401 Squadron - XO

Biggs

Post by Biggs » Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:33 am

In the missions I've flown in SP, I've noticed that I am usually engaged by a single fighter while my wingmen are engaged/being engaged with the other enemy ai.

I have not had a case where I have a train of enemy on my six all shoulder shooting wildly at me.

In fact I have been engaged by more than one enemy a few times and it seems like they work in pairs now... Or at least attack one at a time now.

On TWC's server bumping into a schwarm of 109s isn't a easy 4 kills anymore. They will attack you in a seemingly coordinated manner. And they know how to pull lead.

Bottom line, the routines have been noticably improved. They aren't perfect, but it's not a waste of time to fly against the ai anymore.

That's my unbiased opinion. Wherever you believe it is up to you.

SOW Reddog

Post by SOW Reddog » Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:18 am

That's really promising, I haven't had time to properly assess the AI yet. I'm looking to do so using the exact same setting we used to use on SoW so I can compare properly without potentially different setting confusing things.

Kai Lae

Post by Kai Lae » Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:31 pm

Basically sounds like get it on sale, which means after some of the bugs have been fixed. Which history would have let you know was likely anyway.

Wolverine

Post by Wolverine » Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:20 pm

Biggs wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:33 am
Thanks Biggs. That's good info.

My other question would be has anyone tried engaging a full flight of AI (say 12 109s) in a multiplayer environment where your flight is composed entirely of players. I think that's where the AI train used to happen most frequently.

If the experience remains positive there, then I'd say that's a big improvement and might open up some possibilities.
Virtual No.401 Squadron - XO

Biggs

Post by Biggs » Thu Aug 13, 2020 2:46 am

Kai Lae wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:31 pm
Basically sounds like get it on sale, which means after some of the bugs have been fixed. Which history would have let you know was likely anyway.
Name me contemporary sim that isn't being constantly patched and bug fixed... or one that came out bug free, and without any planned features missing?

BoX was absolute trash for the first few years on the market. It's FM has only recently been upgraded to "not dogshit" and still remains far from perfect (please, get me started on their Spitfire!). You pay more per expansion than you would with Tobruk, and that's not even counting the ludicrous 'collector plane' added costs on top. Yet I hardly hear anyone complain about their prices.

I say if you are planning on buying it, but it. Support the team that's developing it. There were always going to be patches lined up post launch. Features to be added/refined. Their ability to continue patching and developing is linked to the success of the expansion.

If you enjoyed the FM, DM of Blitz then this expansion will make you all the more happier, as they've been improved. The multi-crewed bombers that some of you in particular have been dying to get their hands on are in it, and they are a blast to fly. I can even fly a P40E that doesn't self-destruct if I use 45" of manifold for 2 minutes, what joy!

Biggs

Post by Biggs » Thu Aug 13, 2020 3:05 am

Wolverine wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:20 pm
Biggs wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:33 am
Thanks Biggs. That's good info.

My other question would be has anyone tried engaging a full flight of AI (say 12 109s) in a multiplayer environment where your flight is composed entirely of players. I think that's where the AI train used to happen most frequently.

If the experience remains positive there, then I'd say that's a big improvement and might open up some possibilities.
I don't know about 12 ai, but again, in TWCs server, I spent a while messing around in. On the last flight I took, I flew to Calais at 15k and found about 6 to 8 109s at contrail height. I turned to run and a pair followed me all the way back to the coast. They remained up high in contrails the whole time.

I even tested their ability to track me. I turned north and they followed... South, and they were still there above and behind. I decided to circle climb up to them and they started to orbit above me... it wasn't until I was about 4000 feet below them (they were at just contrail height, 23k and I was at 19 ish) before they started to attack. And they didn't just dive, in they came down in steps kind of like how a player would. Their moves were more robotic than a human's though. But even still, they pulled up from their dive when the angle was bad and reset themselves for another attack.. it wasn't until I was only maybe 1-2 thousand feet below before they fully committed.

The best part was, when I broke hard they didn't just try and sit behind me dumping all their ammo. They would level off and climb again. I had to really try and bait them in like I would against a human. I only managed to get one to over shoot once. But didn't have the energy to pull off a reversal.

I couldn't even count on them to 'go dumb' like they used to before. They extended away and I couldn't do anything about it lol.

I have to do more testing for sure. But like my last post. I believe that Ai in MP will be worth a consideration in future planning. They don't seem to be OP terminators and they certainly aren't just cannon fodder anymore.