Tobruk "what's it like?" thread

Founding grounds of ACG.

Moderators: Board of Directors, Command

Paddy

Re: Tobruk "what's it like?" thread

Post by Paddy » Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:39 am

Thanks for that Biggs, really good intel and insight.
Cheers,

Paddy
Group Captain John 'Paddy' Hemingway, we salute you

Sprite

Post by Sprite » Mon Aug 17, 2020 4:09 am

I'm enjoying it. MC.202 is sweeeeeeet. Online play is still kinda the same as always everyone just flocks to the furballs and ignores the objectives for the most part (or so it seems). I think with actual campaign it has great potential though.

A lot of people have been critical of the terrain, but I flew through Derna on a test flight and it looks really good imo. Tobruk and sollum are more barren (which may be how it actually is in real life, not sure).

Also Kittyhawk is a lot of fun. BoX's P40 always felt slow and under-powered to me, but in DW I feel speed kicking up in a dive. Needs work on that Allison engine sounds though, its way to quiet

Meaker

Post by Meaker » Mon Aug 17, 2020 11:07 am

Unfortunately the video below tells me everything I need to know about the current state of the Ai,and why I've decided to leave this on the shelf.

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TyWbMxG4zw&t=193s
Last edited by Meaker on Sun Aug 23, 2020 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Konaber

Post by Konaber » Mon Aug 17, 2020 12:02 pm

Meaker wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 11:07 am
I'm just not convinced.The Ai is still fucked,just look at those Ai aircraft barrelling into the deck on their own,the guy has purposely not fired at them,to show how stupid they are,and to add to the madness of the Ai,the terrain is just very bland.....and I mean very bland,just look at it this video,I know it's supposed to resemble the desert but jeez,that's terrible.
Looks like totally human behaviour to me:

:lol:

On a more serious side: no combat flight sim present today has a fighter AI which I would consider good and fun.

Smokejumper

Post by Smokejumper » Tue Aug 18, 2020 3:43 am

Digby wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 11:13 pm
Kit Pepper wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 11:04 pm
but I never liked the CoD flight model in the first place. It's feels arcadeish,
Just wait till you try BoX's Spitfire.... :D

This.

BoX Spit while fun is trash. The elevator is in wrong spot and the V has some weird elevator flutter in FFB. Only the Mig3 and Spit V have this weird flutter.

I oddly prefer CloD FM. It feels like the atmosphere is too thick or something in BoX. Everything is sluggish.

Smokejumper

Post by Smokejumper » Tue Aug 18, 2020 3:50 am

Konaber wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 12:02 pm
Meaker wrote:
I'm just not convinced.The Ai is still fucked,just look at those Ai aircraft barrelling into the deck on their own,the guy has purposely not fired at them,to show how stupid they are,and to add to the madness of the Ai,the terrain is just very bland.....and I mean very bland,just look at it this video,I know it's supposed to resemble the desert but jeez,that's terrible.

On a more serious side: no combat flight sim present today has a fighter AI which I would consider good and fun.

I witnessed that sweet maneuver kill for Godman. I was looking over and saw all three explode after Godman dove at them.

Fucking classic.

Digby

Post by Digby » Tue Aug 18, 2020 11:16 am

Smokejumper wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 3:50 am
Konaber wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 12:02 pm
Meaker wrote:

I witnessed that sweet maneuver kill for Godman. I was looking over and saw all three explode after Godman dove at them.

Fucking classic.
Fair play, must have been funny to see! It's not a manoeuvre kill for anyone though as it is not claimable. :D

Jaydog
Hauptmann
Hauptmann
Staffelkapitan

Post by Jaydog » Tue Aug 18, 2020 3:33 pm

A little nose up trim would have prevented that buffoonery....or not lol

i9-9900k, 3.6 GHz, GeForce RTX 3090 FE, 64 GB RAM, 1 TB Samsung EVO SSD, 480 GB SSD, 1 TB SATA III Hard Drive, Windows 10, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro Joystick, Warthog Flight Stick, Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS HOTAS, Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals; MFG Crosswinds, VR: Oculus Rift S/ Reverb G2 / Pimax Crystal

Dickie
Group Captain
Group Captain
ACG Board
contributor

Post by Dickie » Sun Aug 23, 2020 7:27 pm

Biggs wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 2:46 am
Kai Lae wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:31 pm
Basically sounds like get it on sale, which means after some of the bugs have been fixed. Which history would have let you know was likely anyway.
Name me contemporary sim that isn't being constantly patched and bug fixed... or one that came out bug free, and without any planned features missing?

BoX was absolute trash for the first few years on the market. It's FM has only recently been upgraded to "not dogshit" and still remains far from perfect (please, get me started on their Spitfire!). You pay more per expansion than you would with Tobruk, and that's not even counting the ludicrous 'collector plane' added costs on top. Yet I hardly hear anyone complain about their prices.

I say if you are planning on buying it, but it. Support the team that's developing it. There were always going to be patches lined up post launch. Features to be added/refined. Their ability to continue patching and developing is linked to the success of the expansion.

If you enjoyed the FM, DM of Blitz then this expansion will make you all the more happier, as they've been improved. The multi-crewed bombers that some of you in particular have been dying to get their hands on are in it, and they are a blast to fly. I can even fly a P40E that doesn't self-destruct if I use 45" of manifold for 2 minutes, what joy!

Should we gear up for a campaign in ACG then our numbers will appear, even many of the VR guys, but we have Kuban first at least so there's time to put in the VR. You have your finger on the pulse and you know that I know the FMB and am a fan of CoD, I'm just not a fan of how it's all run (like Reddog really)

DaHeld

Post by DaHeld » Sun Aug 23, 2020 10:58 pm

The flight models in Cliffs - although not perfect- are orders of magnitude better than the arcadish crap we have in BoX.

Just read the original test reports they did in WWII then try to recreate these values in Cliffs and on BoX - you'll instantly find out how bad BoX is. In Then there is the possibility to fly in a controlled manner BEYOND the stall in BoX - every time I see this crap my hairs stand on end... In Cliffs you get severely punished for it by entering a spin.
And you can't recover your plane instantly from a stall every time like in BoX. In Cliffs you can get from a right-handed spin into a left-handed one (or vice-versa) during your recovery if you're not careful - just like in RL. In BoX, you have a very hard time even getting the planes INTO a spin. So PLEASE don't claim the FMs in BoX are any good at all EVER again.

And just watch this video to grasp just how bad the BoX-FMs really are: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3kiLBCHJiI&t=17s