Moderators: Board of Directors, Command

Dickie
Group Captain
Group Captain
ACG Board
contributor

Tobruk "what's it like?" thread

Post by Dickie » Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:42 pm

So it's released on Steam, I reckon they'll be a few trying things out, so let's hear it....

Sadly I can't, I'm mid moving house and too much packed away :suicide:

Passion

Re: Tobruk "what's it like?" thread

Post by Passion » Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:13 pm

Wanted to fly the Wellington over the channel, couldn't as you can't in single player, or I couldn't figure out how, gave up and loaded up BoX. Hope it turns out to be a success though.

SOW Reddog

Post by SOW Reddog » Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:22 pm

Played a few hours. I predict it will be a flash in the pan for a few months unless they follow up swiftly with new weather and VR.

New map frankly looks a bit gash, textures are not great, buildings pop in still and I saw some artefacts and hovering buildings or rocks.

Lots of comments on the server chat about the UI and "how do I respawn" etc.

Biggest teller for me though was there was only ONE Server running the new map and wasn't full for the time I was on. I left 3.5hrs after release there were less than 100 players across all servers.

Wolverine

Post by Wolverine » Fri Aug 07, 2020 12:13 am

Interested to know if there's much improvement to AI and also if there's any enhancement / additions to mission builder.

Can you set air spawn direction now instead of always North?
Virtual No.401 Squadron - XO

Konaber

Post by Konaber » Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:10 am

Had a lot of fun today. And finally a F4 with something called a roll-rate.
Will be flying more on the weekend.

Biggs

Post by Biggs » Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:38 am

Konaber wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:10 am
Had a lot of fun today. And finally a F4 with something called a roll-rate.
Will be flying more on the weekend.
Yeah the F4 is a BnZ monster against this allied plane-set. You can fly it at 1.2 all day even in the desert heat and out climb pretty much everything. And yes the handling is quite nice too. In the right hands it will be a nightmare for the RAF.

Thaine

Post by Thaine » Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:21 am

Hei Reddod and Wolverine. Now there's some names I haven't seen in a while. :)
Fractal Design Define R6 / Gigabyte Z390 AORUS MASTER / Intel i9-9900K / 32 GB RAM / NVIDIA GeForce GTX2080Ti / WD Black SN750 / Corsair Hydro H100i RGB Platinum / Corsair RM850x / WINDOWS 10 / LG 42LE5300 / TrackIR / HP Reverb G2 / Saitek AV8R-MK3 / Saitek ProFlight Throttle Quadrant / Saitek ProFlight Rudder Paddels / Saitek ProFlight Cessna Trim Wheel

Meaker

Post by Meaker » Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:12 am

I do hope Tobruk is well worth the buy,the general opinion,reading all the comments across the net,is that it's just way too expensive.......I think they've commercially shot themselves in the foot with the price,especially now years later the community has diminished to just a handful of die hards.Graphically the sim is becoming prehistoric too,guess someone one with the big purse needs a return on his money.

@Passion.....so you can only fly the Welligton over the desert ?......great,well that's halted my enthusiasm for it then,and there's 10 different variants of the 109,is that really necessary ?

I'll personally wait for a sale,I've waited since God knows how long,another few years to see the price become more sensible won't be an issue.After all the self righteous Grandstanding of 'oh we do this for free','oh we do this in our spare time' they then throw this ridiculous price in our faces........ :nuts: .....what do they take us for ?

This being said,I wish them all the best,and good luck to you all with it :salute:

Von Archie

Post by Von Archie » Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:55 am

The more videos I watched, the less impressed I became.It just looks so old now. They haven't even fixed the UI for gods sake.
Like Meaker, I'll wait for the sale, and see if I've got any enthusiasm left. 75% off sounds about right for an add on to a ten year old game.
i5 4690k / MSI Gaming 5 / 2 x 8 GB Crucial Ballistix ram / Zotac AMP! 980Ti / 2 x 250 SSDs
VPC MongoosT-50 joystick / MFG Crosswind pedals / GVL 109/111 Throttle / Oculus Rift

Digby

Post by Digby » Fri Aug 07, 2020 12:38 pm

Passion wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:13 pm
Wanted to fly the Wellington over the channel, couldn't as you can't in single player, or I couldn't figure out how, gave up and loaded up BoX. Hope it turns out to be a success though.
Didn't know the Wimpy was in BoX! :nice: