Do you see VR ever coming to CloD and do you think 1C will continue the partnership?

Founding grounds of ACG.

Moderators: Board of Directors, Command

Kit Pepper
Leutnant
Leutnant
Adjutant
contributor

Re: Do you see VR ever coming to CloD and do you think 1C will continue the partnership?

Post by Kit Pepper » Sat Dec 26, 2020 5:54 pm

Trystan wrote:
Sat Dec 26, 2020 1:03 am
the biggest difference between head trackers and VR is that the head trackers allow you to see more of what is around you since you can turn your "head" more than 180 degrees and look around the seat back, etc., giving the head tracker users a slight advantage.
With VR I can see 360 degrees... I just have to turn my real head, thus I use the swivel chair.

Donkey
Pilot Officer
Pilot Officer
Adjutant
Staff

Re: Do you see VR ever coming to CloD and do you think 1C will continue the partnership?

Post by Donkey » Sat Dec 26, 2020 6:25 pm

I actually try to not swivel my chair but move as those lads had to. And it really gives you a sense of how hard and exhausting it must have been to check 6 constantly. I use mirrors now a lot more than I did (on those aircraft that support them)

Snowy

Post by Snowy » Sun Dec 27, 2020 10:18 am

I will fly wherever ACG goes of course, but VR is here to stay and it would be a real mistake for TF to ignore it. I doubt it will be a simple task but I am a big fan of how IL-2 VR is implemented (are you listening DCS and MSFS2020?)

Valve Index, Intel Core i7- 11700K Processor, Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4 RAM, EVGA GeForce RTX 3070, ASUS TUF Z590 ATX Motherboard, be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 CPU Cooler, be quiet! Straight Power 11 Power Supply, 240GB NVME M.2 SSD and Samsung 970 EVOplus 1T SSD storage, BeQuiet 500DX Midi-Tower Case.

Ginger
Wing Commander
Wing Commander
ACG Board
contributor
Location: The centre of the known universe Nottingham, England

Post by Ginger » Sun Dec 27, 2020 1:44 pm

Your lot don't know how lucky you are! i have a mk1 chair none of this new fangled high tech stuff!
DEAD PILOTS DONT MAKE CLAIMS

Digby

Post by Digby » Sun Dec 27, 2020 2:24 pm

Ginger wrote:
Sun Dec 27, 2020 1:44 pm
Your lot don't know how lucky you are! i have a mk1 chair none of this new fangled high tech stuff!
Nice setup Ginge! I see you've got yourself a real seat from an Airco DH.2 for added uncomfort, ahem, realism. :D

Ginger
Wing Commander
Wing Commander
ACG Board
contributor
Location: The centre of the known universe Nottingham, England

Post by Ginger » Sun Dec 27, 2020 2:26 pm

It's like my Mr's say's , it's always better if you have something to shove against! ;)
DEAD PILOTS DONT MAKE CLAIMS

Kildren

Post by Kildren » Sun Dec 27, 2020 3:06 pm

At the end of the day if VR is more important than ACG good go away and let some other people in who would rather be here and enjoy the group experience plenty of people in the queue to replace yous.

also why do we continue to drone on about TFS and cliffs

Speak to me about joining the ACG Pilots Union

Kit Pepper
Leutnant
Leutnant
Adjutant
contributor

Post by Kit Pepper » Sun Dec 27, 2020 4:33 pm

Donkey wrote:
Sat Dec 26, 2020 6:25 pm
I actually try to not swivel my chair but move as those lads had to. And it really gives you a sense of how hard and exhausting it must have been to check 6 constantly. I use mirrors now a lot more than I did (on those aircraft that support them)
You are so right Donkey. If it were as confining as a 109 cockpit it would be extremely difficult. Personally, I can't see more than 90 degrees at the most with VR just turning my head (which is all the real guys could do). I couldn't check my six without a swivel chair (mine tilts back too). It's totally unrealistic I know, but we all do what we have to to survive! So long as nobody flies out of the cockpit, I guess all is fair game.

Digby

Post by Digby » Sun Dec 27, 2020 5:54 pm

Kit Pepper wrote:
Sun Dec 27, 2020 4:33 pm
Donkey wrote:
Sat Dec 26, 2020 6:25 pm
You are so right Donkey. If it were as confining as a 109 cockpit it would be extremely difficult. Personally, I can't see more than 90 degrees at the most with VR just turning my head (which is all the real guys could do). I couldn't check my six without a swivel chair (mine tilts back too). It's totally unrealistic I know, but we all do what we have to to survive! So long as nobody flies out of the cockpit, I guess all is fair game.

From what I can see, IRL you don't physically rotate your neck more than about 120 degrees. It is more of a lean to one side, rest neck against headrest and look up affair (which can be replicated with most office / racing chairs that have a headrest). Admittedly, IRL you also usually have ACM handles / towel racks to hang onto as well as the canopy itself to lean your head on.

Here is an example from real life (skip to 03:00):

In the context of our purposes (skip to 08:36):

Finally, if we are talking about WW2 fighters, Kit is absolutely right to highlight the 109's cockpit. We probably have more capability in VR to check six than those who flew the real aeroplane!

Regards,
Digby :salute:

Broadsword

Post by Broadsword » Mon Dec 28, 2020 11:25 am

Ginger wrote:
Sun Dec 27, 2020 2:26 pm
It's like my Mr's say's , it's always better if you have something to shove against! ;)
Then how do you explain those rudder pedals, just sitting there unsupported like they haven't a care in the world? They're making me nervous just looking at them. Please tell me they're screwed to the floor or something :shock:

On the other hand, I fully approve of the proximity of your co-pilot's bed. It's always important to have moral support close at hand :nice: Though probably another good reason to avoid a swivelly chair - wouldn't want anyone getting kicked :D
I must go up to the skies again, to the peace of silent flight, To the gull’s way, and the hawk’s way, and the free wings’ delight;
And all I ask is a friendly joke with a laughing fellow rover, And a large beer, and a deep sleep, when the long flight’s over.