Tobruk server - Training and testing

Founding grounds of ACG.

Moderators: Board of Directors, Command

Mooch

Re: Tobruk server thread

Post by Mooch » Sat May 01, 2021 12:52 pm

I had a couple of micro freezes when dogfighting, but other than that ok.

On the CLOD 'feature' side of things. I'm occasionally spawning in with the undercarriage down but not locked. If you hear your hurribus creaking and groaning, slam the toggle switch to lock the gear.

I must say, I'm enjoying being shot down in a whole new environment.

Cheers,

Mooch

Kit Pepper
Leutnant
Leutnant
Adjutant
contributor

Post by Kit Pepper » Sat May 01, 2021 1:14 pm

My girlfriend, after hearing a the worst blue streak of profanities coming from my studio, wanted to know what could possibly be upsetting me so. "Nothing dear, it's just this old flight sim that we are now using." I replied.

HansWind

Post by HansWind » Sat May 01, 2021 5:45 pm

No issues with the server during a one hour bombing run with a Br-20 from Derna to Tobruk and back on Thursday.

The runway markers at Derna are kinda nice because they help you align but they are also deadly if your aircraft happens to touch them.

The autopilot is poorly done:
1) On "Course mode" the Br-20 does not use rudder but goes on aileron hysteresis; the course fluctuates about 20 degrees left and right.
2) On "Mode 22" you can only make small course adjustments with the autopilot. It refuses to turn and swings back if you try to make any significant course changes.

(I'm already missing the Ju-88 and He-111, proper autopilot and radio navigation...)
Stab/JG26 aka 4 Squadriglia

Woop

Post by Woop » Sun May 02, 2021 9:12 pm

Please make the boards at the airfields runways un-collidable and make them stand a little further apart at Tobruk field.

Seems like the player aircraft despawn script was not working, thus rendering Tobruk runway unusable due to the wreckage created by the collidable boards.

As for these tests, it would be a better idea to create a little separate map to run during tests and training so that Tobruk field is a bit less congested. We have hardly had any time to fly as a squadron, as the area is constantly full of enemy and friendly etc. (at least make it so that squadrons stationed at Tobruk, can also spawn elsewhere with the same aircraft so that they can train).

Please also correct the server settings to realistic, as external views are currently enabled, allowing you to view any and all aircraft in the area, as well as on the map.

Donkey
Pilot Officer
Pilot Officer
Adjutant
Staff

Post by Donkey » Sun May 02, 2021 10:41 pm

Outside views easy to fix, just need to remember to do it. De-spawning somewhat more troublesome - we are running the same setup we had in both BoB and LF where de-spawning worked. If it now doesn't, that suggests a change in CloD itself. I'll need to look at the acgmission DLL to see if/how it was done.

Dickie
Group Captain
Group Captain
ACG Board
contributor

Post by Dickie » Mon May 03, 2021 12:14 am

1. Uncollidable boards. It's an object, you can't do that. It might be one of the airfield.runway objects, not sure but obviously, just avoid.
2. New bases. We aren't putting up a public server, but I dunno, if Donkey says we'll run it then I could mod the map I guess.
3. I put on externals deliberately so it would be easier to check out objects in the map. It'll be full real for campaign.

Scooby

Post by Scooby » Mon May 03, 2021 8:48 am

freezing is an issue and it seems to happen for everybody at the same time

Woop

Post by Woop » Mon May 03, 2021 10:19 am

Dickie wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 12:14 am
2. New bases. We aren't putting up a public server, but I dunno, if Donkey says we'll run it then I could mod the map I guess.
An easier way would just be to add the aircraft available to fly from the field at Tobruk at another airfield too, so we can take off and train as a squadron without getting bounced before we even take off.
Dickie wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 12:14 am
1. Uncollidable boards. It's an object, you can't do that. It might be one of the airfield.runway objects, not sure but obviously, just avoid.
The boards never used to be collidable in the past, hence the massive pile up at Tobruk yesterday. In any case, please place them a little further apart at the field and maybe move the parked planes a little back too to make room for a squadron take off.

Woop

Post by Woop » Mon May 03, 2021 2:37 pm

Oh, one more thing I noticed today, people can still spawn in more than one aircraft using the Create button.

Donkey
Pilot Officer
Pilot Officer
Adjutant
Staff

Post by Donkey » Mon May 03, 2021 4:09 pm

So looking at the code, it looks like the despawn dead / abandoned player aircraft was not actually implemented in the version of our DLL I have access to. So I have rewritten it, dunno if it will work, guess we will need to test. That should stop people being able to spawn multiple aircraft.