COD Bugtracker

Founding grounds of ACG.

Moderators: Board of Directors, Command

Robo

Re: COD Bugtracker

Post by Robo » Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:21 pm

Osprey wrote:If you record, edit and upload it then I'll fly with you on it. We'll put you in the Spitfire to demo that even a novice Spittie pilot can out turn an experienced Hurricane pilot.
Can do, but I am normally able to out-turn Spitfires in a Hurricane, mind you I tested this only vaguely on AX dogfight server. I am happy to test this with anyone interested.

Top speed test would be great!

Bubi that's right, the test is to be determine if Hurricane turn rate is correct (in comparison to Spitfire and 109). As a Hurricane pilot, you will often find that 109s are happy to follow you in a turn as he knows he can get guns on you easier than on a Spitfire. This is not in agreement with historical figures. For the record, I find Hurricane has got best sustained turn, but lacks in instantaneous turn, which is OK, I believe. I also find the Hurricane to be used as BnZ fighter rather than angles fighter due to lack of noticeable advantage in turn rate.

Bubi

Post by Bubi » Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:08 pm

You using data such as this? (Which models, marks, engine and fuel types, weight aren't obvious)

In real application, I use a combination of sustained (<1 turn) plus instantaneous (snapshot), plus proper CEM and flap control. Pilot experience has a lot to do with what we see online also. If Me109s are out turning Spits and Hurries with just scientific level sustaining, then there is a problem Huston.

For your Spit vs Hurri test, I would think it would take perfect close formation and good TS3 comms to pull off a proper test, right. Do you have a link to historical comparisons to share? You're a smart one Robo, I'm sure you've got this nailed.
"Train as you fight, fight as you train"

Dave

Post by Dave » Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:47 pm

This is all useful info guys. I'm pretty busy at the moment between trying to muddle through my uni course and running my YT channel, but I'll get around to this at somepoint. For the record I did a quick test yesterday, turning left on the deck in both planes. While the Spit didn't seem to turn noticeably better than the Hurri (or worse - more importantly), it was able to sustain a turn all the way down to 100mph in an identical fashion to the Hurri.

Then just for giggles, I did the same test in 1946. The Hurricane performed more or less the same as in Cliffs, but the Spitfire would consistently stall at 120 mph if it maintained a turn. Obviously this means sweet eff all as far as TF is concerned, but honestly the way it is in 1946 seemed more accurate.

Anyway I'm convinced something's up with it. We were having a bit of a free-for-all last night on the ACG server and I was able to out-turn both Katt and Teepee in the Spitty, which just seems wrong.

Dickie
Group Captain
Group Captain
ACG Board
contributor

Post by Dickie » Sun Oct 26, 2014 10:09 am

It's not massively out, but it's out. The Spitfire has a marginal advantage in turn and I believe that to be wrong. Bubi, that's the only info I've ever seen so thanks for that. The graph is known to be wrong on the axis though because altitude has nothing to do with it.

I think these refer to the best turn rates, which are of course at different speeds.

People don't complain at this because a) there are few Hurricane pilots and b) Hurricanes outturn the 109 anyway. This is really only a problem on AX, and historically.

Perhaps someone else can pick this up? Bubi? Sound like your kind of thing, we just need some pilots who can do the right thing to make a demo movie.

Bubi

Post by Bubi » Sun Oct 26, 2014 4:17 pm

If Robo needs a sidekick, im game.

Speaking of Bug Tracker,
Looks like our request is in development:

"Navigational Illumination Functionality: Smudge pots, Glim Lamps"
http://tfbt.nuvturais.de/issues/610

Thanks TF dudes

Also submitted this one, feel free to vote on it:
"Busted Ship's FLAK"
http://tfbt.nuvturais.de/issues/681
"Train as you fight, fight as you train"

Bunny

Post by Bunny » Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:33 pm

I'ev attempted to upvote some of the issues, but didn't see that the vote count for each upvoted bug increase - isthat normal does anyone know? Bit of a dufuss when it comes to this - never used it before.

“It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes I-16s.” - Douglas Adams

Von Archie

Post by Von Archie » Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:56 pm

I clicked on the green arrow and the vote was counted immediately.
i5 4690k / MSI Gaming 5 / 2 x 8 GB Crucial Ballistix ram / Zotac AMP! 980Ti / 2 x 250 SSDs
VPC MongoosT-50 joystick / MFG Crosswind pedals / GVL 109/111 Throttle / Oculus Rift

Dickie
Group Captain
Group Captain
ACG Board
contributor

Post by Dickie » Tue Nov 04, 2014 6:36 pm

Come on lads? This is a doddle!

Robo

Post by Robo » Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:43 am

I'd say it's pretty much in line with the real life performance and expectations.

Last night we briefly tested this with Osprey at 10.000 feet in both Hurricane Mk.I and Spitfire Mk.I (with 100 octane fuel) and proved that Hurricane can indeed turn on smaller radius circle.

Assuming that TF got the climb rates and top speeds correct (which they did imho except for well known discrepancies at high altitudes), then turn rates should also be spot on for all these parameters are interconnected. The advantage of the Hurricane is due to the wing loading and airframe design and better stability at low speeds. The difference is not as huge as between both RAF fighters and the Bf 109, so pilot's skill plays certain role.

For comparison, wing loading at 50% fuel (in pounds per square feet):

Bf 109 - 32
Spitfire - 24.5
Hurricane - 23

Dickie
Group Captain
Group Captain
ACG Board
contributor

Post by Dickie » Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:27 am

The trick was finding the sweetspot for turning and keeping that consistent. Further testing is required and I think it would be useful to produce a training video on how to turn effectively.
It's strange because the corner speed of the Hurricane is about 180ish mph (I think!) yet to out turn the Spitfire 140mph was effective, mainly because the Spitfire struggles at that slower speed and when it drops even slightly below that the turn collapses (again I think!)

@Robo, perhaps we can discuss how best to achieve this and then make a tutorial.