4.5 Launcher has stopped working

Founding grounds of ACG.

Moderators: Board of Directors, Command

Von Archie

Re: 4.5 Launcher has stopped working

Post by Von Archie » Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:28 am

All it needs is for Dickie to have the same problem and this place will explode :D
i5 4690k / MSI Gaming 5 / 2 x 8 GB Crucial Ballistix ram / Zotac AMP! 980Ti / 2 x 250 SSDs
VPC MongoosT-50 joystick / MFG Crosswind pedals / GVL 109/111 Throttle / Oculus Rift

BR Lobo

Post by BR Lobo » Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:36 am

The beta starts now. It's life... ;)

HotLunch

Post by HotLunch » Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:19 am

BR Lobo wrote:The beta starts now. It's life... ;)
It's TFS' world, we're just living in it.
More vodka Comrade!

Kai Lae

Post by Kai Lae » Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:08 am

As I recall 4.3 became 4.31 and 4.32 very quickly....

LuftAsher

Post by LuftAsher » Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:46 am

Alright boys, an important thing to be aware of here:

4.5 upgrades Cliffs of Dover to DirectX 11

What does this mean? Well for one thing, the game looks and runs a lot nicer. It also means that the old Launcher Crash issue (caused by our old friend Windows Update KB2670838) should, should be fixed. Assuming this is the case, the launcher crash fix outlined in this thread: http://www.aircombatgroup.co.uk/forum/v ... =18&t=2637 should be outdated in the new patch. As a matter of fact, Update KB2670838 is an update that is required for DirectX 11 functionality. BoX simply won't launch if you don't have this update installed, and tells you exactly why. I suspect that Cliffs of Dover won't be so forthcoming.

When KB2670838 was first released, it was necessary for games to be updated in order to work with the update, otherwise they could crash. I discovered this while dealing with issues with another game (STALKER: Call of Chernobyl) while I had this update installed. After a bit of digging, I found that it was an issue with the very same Windows update that caused a lot of Launcher crashes in Cliffs of Dover. Obviously a lot of older games with discontinued support from developers were not updated, Cliffs of Dover was one of them until today.

So if you don't have this update installed, your game probably won't work.

Dickie
Group Captain
Group Captain
ACG Board
contributor

Post by Dickie » Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:52 am

Kling

Post by Kling » Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:08 pm

Guys, we THINK this might be overloaded USB ports.
Can you pls try unplugging your joystick and start the game. So far those who got it working did it by unplugging their sticks and then changing USB plug. If you have a USB hub with external power source, pls try this! We need to nail it down!

Try to start the game without the stick plugged in first! Seem to be an issue for Logitech.. but that is just a guess from my side.!

Nails

Post by Nails » Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:24 pm

Passion. Go in to your C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/IL2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover Blitz

Right click the Launcher64.exe > Properties > Compatability > Tick the box that says "Run this program as an administrator"

Try running your desktop shortcut again - the game should load

Passion

Post by Passion » Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:44 pm

Hi Nails

Thanks for the help but I've already tried that

Nails

Post by Nails » Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:54 am

Morning Passion. Sorry to hear that didn't work.

Have you tried this (suggested on ATAG)?

As Graeme linked above here is the message from one of our Team:

"Guys, we THINK this might be overloaded USB ports.
Can you pls try unplugging your joystick and start the game. So far those who got it working did it by unplugging their sticks and then changing USB plug. If you have a USB hub with external power source, pls try this! We need to nail it down!

Try to start the game without the stick plugged in first! Seem to be an issue for Logitech.. but that is just a guess from my side.!"

For me it was the Admin thing. Initially the Splashscreen came up. Then it hung for ever. CTL-ALT-DEL just gave me a black screen with nothing responding. Only a hard reboot sorted it out.

After I gave the 64bit.exe Admin rights, it worked.

However! When you “ESC” to the main menu you could not select anything. It was as if the game screen did not have focus. You sort of clicked straight through it to your Win desktop.

To fix this (if you get this problem too). In the video options, change “Fullscreen” to “Pseudo”. Problem solved.

I am hoping these issues will be fixed in patch 4.5.1 - 2 weeks away!