TFS & ACG Needs You - Large Scale Lag Test

Founding grounds of ACG.

Moderators: Board of Directors, Command

Von Archie

Re: TFS & ACG Needs You - Large Scale Lag Test

Post by Von Archie » Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:21 pm

LuftAsher wrote:
Von Archie wrote:We've missed rendezvous points before because we've been waiting for someone to either take off or sort problems out. Yes, you could say 'just leave him' but that's hardly encouraging to a new guy having his first acg mission.
You don't 'just leave him', you 'just leave him and one of your more experienced guys' so he can be led back to the formation or just the operational space by someone that knows the way. That's usin' the old noodle.
I am mere cannon fodder and don't make such decisions (or indeed, any decisions) but it has happened in the past.
i5 4690k / MSI Gaming 5 / 2 x 8 GB Crucial Ballistix ram / Zotac AMP! 980Ti / 2 x 250 SSDs
VPC MongoosT-50 joystick / MFG Crosswind pedals / GVL 109/111 Throttle / Oculus Rift

Zyk

Post by Zyk » Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:52 pm

if a guy can't take off, or operate his plane properly, he really should practice offline, or on a online server with a buddy as an instructor, for a while. i had over 1000 hours offline (a year) before i joined acg, just so i didn't look like a complete fool to the group. i still look like a fool, (still feel like a noob even though i have 99 campaign missions under my belt, because everyone else seems to know so much more about the game, and what is going on).... but not a complete fool. coddling people that can't fly actually has thrown me off my concentration (even people in other staffels that take off at our airfield...cough, cough) and screwed up my missions before they hardly start before, then i start out 'catching up', or flying alone. and people joining late because they are playing another game, or doing something else just before a campaign mission starts also throws off the timing, and causes problems.

Jaydog
Hauptmann
Hauptmann
Staffelkapitan

Post by Jaydog » Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:44 pm

LuftAsher wrote:
Von Archie wrote:We've missed rendezvous points before because we've been waiting for someone to either take off or sort problems out. Yes, you could say 'just leave him' but that's hardly encouraging to a new guy having his first acg mission.
You don't 'just leave him', you 'just leave him and one of your more experienced guys' so he can be led back to the formation or just the operational space by someone that knows the way. That's usin' the old noodle.

Not sure about other Staffels, but we don't leave any pilots behind in 1st to hold hands of those with problems. We will orbit the field for a couple minutes, but at the end of the day we need every swinging dick up in the air to protect bombers and to make the RV. I fully support airspawns for people with PC issues, launchers crashes, TRack IR or TS issues, but I also agree with what was said about if people aren't able to take off, then they aren't putting in the practice. After all, it shouldn't take more than a few hours of practice.

The caveat to this is for new pilots who want to join ACG and want to partake in a mission to see if they like it. We should be flexible and airspawn if necessary should be at discretion and approved by the Staffel/Squadron commanders. 4.5 had brought out a lot of new guys to fly, and we should take the opportunity to recruit more members and be a bit more patient.

i9-9900k, 3.6 GHz, GeForce RTX 3090 FE, 64 GB RAM, 1 TB Samsung EVO SSD, 480 GB SSD, 1 TB SATA III Hard Drive, Windows 10, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro Joystick, Warthog Flight Stick, Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS HOTAS, Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals; MFG Crosswinds, VR: Oculus Rift S/ Reverb G2 / Pimax Crystal

LuftAsher

Post by LuftAsher » Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:52 pm

Jaydog wrote:
LuftAsher wrote:

Not sure about other Staffels, but we don't leave any pilots behind in 1st to hold hands of those with problems. We will orbit the field for a couple minutes, but at the end of the day we need every swinging dick up in the air to protect bombers and to make the RV.
That's fine if you've just lifted. But if you're taking off from Hydrequent and a new guy suffers a launcher crash or blows his engine while you're waiting at the rendezvous at Dunkirk, it's more efficient to send one guy back to shepherd the new guy back into the fight (as you'll have likely moved on by the time he gets himself sorted again) than put your entire Staffel out of place.