TFS Developer Update – August 2018

Founding grounds of ACG.

Moderators: Board of Directors, Command

Bonkin

TFS Developer Update – August 2018

Post by Bonkin » Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:22 pm

Hello again everybody. I can't believe it has been a month since my last update. Time is certainly flying by. Sadly we have lost two more of our Battle of Britain veterans since I last wrote. Wg Cdr Tom Neil passed just days before his 98th birthday, followed shortly afterwards by Sqd Ldr Geoffrey Wellum. We also lost the ever-glamorous Mary Ellis, a trail blazer for female aviators and an original member of the Air Transport Auxiliary (ATA), responsible for delivering fighter and bomber aircraft from the factories to the front line. She was 101.

A big highlight for those in the UK was the Duxford Flying Legends event - and it was great to be there to meet up with friends and enjoy the sights and sounds of so many warbirds gracing the sky. Unusually for the UK we had some glorious weather as well! I'm looking forward to next year's event already!

So for this update let me first start off by thanking you all for your supportive messages - they are all very much appreciated. I'll first provide some details of progress over the last month and then I'll try to answer a few of the questions I have seen being raised across various forums.

Team
We welcome 69th_Zeb to the team. Zeb is an experienced 3D modeller who's day job is in the aviation industry. In his opening post he joked that he would look forward to polishing fig trees and sandbags. In reality he is hard at work on building assets for the new map.

Schedule
As was eluded to in my last post, there is an internal schedule the team are working towards but we cannot forecast release dates. Given the progress made, there remains confidence that everything remains on track. It is fair to say that there are challenges in a couple of areas but there is some contingency so in this regard, things are no different to any other task based project.

Progress
Map
The Team has continued to work on the Map Editor in order to get it into a stable development environment. This has not been without problems but it is good to report that the bugs are being fixed and it has been possible to use it to start fixing game map issues. What this means is that the map development process is simplified and no longer requires manual coding, e.g. it will improve the speed of map creation and development.

In addition, a huge amount of work has been undertaken to create desert versions of all the ground vehicles and objects. This work maybe doesn't get the credit it deserves but take a look in the FMB at the amount of objects there are and you start to get a feel for the effort that is needed to change the textures and re-colour everything. Here are just a few pictures of some of the objects:

Aircraft
- CR-42 cockpit import and animation continues and the FM is being refined.
- Bf-108 modelling complete and ready for import.
- Bf-109F-1,2 & 4 import (with placeholder cockpit and textures) is complete and the FMs are being refined.
- Spitfire IIa import is complete. This contains the enlarged oil cooler on the left wing and replaces the old MkIIa model.
- Spitfire IIb modelling complete and ready for import.
- Spitfire VA modelling complete and ready for import.
- Spitfire VB modelling complete and ready for import.
- Hurricane IIA modelling complete and ready for import.
- Hurricane IIB modelling (including tropical and fighter bomber) complete and ready for import.
- Hurricane IIC modelling (including tropical and fighter bomber) complete and ready for import.
- Martlet III modelling complete and ready for import.

Notable Fixes
- Beaufighter cockpits glass problems in fog now fixed.
- Blenheim MkIV Late gunner position now load faster in game.
- Bug #759: Fiat BR-20 engine control levers numbering texture has the "7" and "6" reversed.
- Bug #943: Querqueville airfield aligned incorrectly.

So now on with a few of your questions (forgive me for paraphrasing):

Q. What is happening with fixes for the Ju88A-1 aircraft systems and controls - will anything be fixed for v5.0?
A. At this time we cannot say what will or won't be fixed. As reported last month, we have increased the number of coders in the team and this creates opportunities to address certain issues. We will of course be providing a full list of bugs fixed with the release and expect to continue to address issues in patches.

Q. What is happening with Virtual Reality implementation?
A. Although some trials have been done in this area to prove the concept, the team recognise that it is not an insignificant amount of work to implement and that therefore, attempting to do it now would only delay the release of v5.0 - which nobody wants. For this reason, it has been decided to defer VR until a v5.X release, e.g. post v5.0.

Q. Do you have the option to upload any of your videos in 2K/4K resolution?
A. Sorry but not at this time. I often use 4K for capture so that I have better framing options when editing. If I had a new rig then I might consider it.

Q. Will anything be done about the time it takes to get a Beaufighter airborne (about 4.5 mins)?
A. The engine cooling/overheat modelling for all aircraft will be revised for TF 5.0.

Q. Can the excessive movement of the Spit and Hurri on the ground whilst taxying be rectified?
A. We continue to revise and edit the FMs of all aircraft all the way up to the point of release. The environment weather effects also have a part to play. At the moment though our focus is on completing 3D modelling and importing.

Q. Will a map tool or SDK be available for the community? How can the community be more involved?
A. We love to get your feedback (good and bad) because we are committed to making the best simulation we can - so we do want community involvement as much as possible. Expanding the Map Creation Team to allow the map tool to be used for multiple map builds simultaneously is certainly something we will consider post the v5.0 release. Individuals and groups who are interested will be able to approach us at that point. For now we would encourage bugs and feature requests to be made via the BugTracker tool. Also, I will try to answer questions I see in the forums within each monthly update.
Note: One area we are working on is new voice recordings. As such we are looking for French nationals who would be interested in lending their voices to the game. See this post for more information and how to get involved:
https://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/ ... post317587

Q. When will it be ready?
A. Unfortunately we just cannot provide a forecast date because we're are a bunch of guys working in our spare time and real life often gets in the way of us doing the stuff we're passionate about. Hopefully with these updates you can start to draw your own conclusions regarding the progress of the project. Work has never stopped.

Q. In the pictures of the Bf109-F there were shell cases being ejected during gun firing. I thought the engine mounted guns did not eject cartridges so what is that about?
A. This is an integration bug. The MG-151/15mm and MG-151/20mm weapons mounted in the V of the engine did not eject cartridges outside of the aircraft like the MG/FF's on the wings of the 109E. This was because the cartridges could get sucked into the radiator intake and damage it, or into the intercooler. Right now there is an animation below the 109F nose when the gun is fired showing ejected shell casings. This will be resolved as part of the ongoing import work.

Well I think that is enough for now. I will leave you with this short video which shows off the team’s early work with the import of the beautiful Bf109F-2. Do remember that this features a placeholder cockpit and textures. The reason for this placeholder is that we decided to import an early version of the 109F cockpit in order to provide some of our new coders with import work, and also to give the FM/DM modelers a chance to get started early with a flying model of the 109F. It has the added advantage of giving the skin makers the opportunity to do their work.

This early cockpit version has very much lower resolution textures than we will use in the production release and some of the elements are also missing. Please bear this in mind when watching the video. What people will get in the release version is a cockpit completed to the standards they see in the aircraft currently in 'Blitz'.

So why are we showing it then? Well we thought you would be happy to see some progress with one of the most requested types... with the import process underway other aircraft will also be out shortly... these will have completed cockpits. Hopefully it will give you a flavour of the work being done by the team and the commitment that we all have to provide the very best detailed and faithful re-produced products we can.

For and on behalf of Team Fusion Simulations,

Bonkin.

Paddy

Re: TFS Developer Update – August 2018

Post by Paddy » Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:51 pm

Nice update Bonkin.

Any chance of a work in progress video of how the modelling work is done for a ground vehicle/object so people can appreciate how much effort is required in making one from the ground up?

Any plans to improve the sound quality? When that 109 passes by it grates me (as many a/c do) that they sound a bit mp3-ish in sound quality?
Cheers,

Paddy
Group Captain John 'Paddy' Hemingway, we salute you

Onebad

Post by Onebad » Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:43 am

Those groud assets look really high quality for a flight sim, nice job with that.
Regarding sounds, they sound really great when from the outside (best vanilla sounds IMO, only inferior to DCS community mods) interior sounds are doo doo but it's fine with me.

Dickie
Group Captain
Group Captain
ACG Board
contributor

Post by Dickie » Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:16 am

Thanks Bonks,

It's going to be hard replying atm knowing that you are behind the updates and knowing your restrictions.

Frankly I laugh my tits off that TFS "are on schedule but can't forecast". That is an oxymoron and it does TFS a disservice as you will be mocked for it (rightly so). We have a major product team here in my company just like that, pathetically unable to commit to release dates and internally they have the piss taken behind their backs about it, the Project Managers know though and are suitably embarrassed. I also don't get why TFS harp on about the fucking mapping tool that is perpetually nearly working (clearly Colander hadn't a clue as he spent literally years hacking it and it never worked) but is an INTERNAL tool. I would never tell customers about a framework tool like this, what is the point? If TF5 flops then a mapping tool would be utterly useless because there won't be any more maps to come anyway (unless yet another modding team takes over!) No, I would much rather the developer for this tool drops it right now and works on pulling in the aircraft models and wiring them up and sorting out their FM, DM and bug fixing in the code. A map tool is useless to customers and useless if 1C pull the plug because this has flopped because the already small player base is bored and has left.

Please do not take this personally. Quite honestly I think your time would be better spent on the 501 Hurricane movie than with this debacle of a team :lol:

Mysticpuma

Post by Mysticpuma » Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:06 pm

It's great to see the 109F in game at-last, although we did see it flying in the last update 4-weeks ago and it was shown in-game (via screenshots) on June 30th, so that's two months of the same announcement/showcase
The fact that the 109F is still using a placeholder cockpit after so many years of development is surprising and also quite a worrying sign especially with this list of aircraft to be included in v5.00:

Bf108 Taifun Advanced Trainer

Bf109E-7 (DB601Aa)
Bf109E-7N (DB601N)
Bf109E-7NZ (DB601N with GM-1 Nitrous Oxide injection)
(and Tropical versions)

Me109F-1 with MG/FFM (DB601N)
Me109F-2 with MG151/15mm (DB601N)
Me109F-2 with MG151/20mm (DB601N)
Me109F-2 with MG151/20mm Tropical (DB601N)
Me109F-4 (DB601E 1.30ata)
Me109F-4 (DB601E 1.30ata) Tropical
Me109F-4 (DB601E 1.42ata)
Me109F-4 (DB601E 1.42ata) Tropical
Me109F-4/R1 Flugelgondelbewaffnung mit MG 151/20 (DB601E 1.42ata, underwing 20mm gunpods)
Me109F-4/R1 Flugelgondelbewaffnung mit MG 151/20 Tropical (DB601E 1.42ata, underwing 20mm gunpods)
(no we will not have the version with 15mm gunpods... only used on Russian Front)

Ju-88A-4
Ju-88A-5

Ju-88C-2 (possibly)

Heinkel He-111H-6 Torpedo bomber (possibly)

Italian

Fiat CR-42
Fiat CR-42 Fighter-Bomber

Macchi C-202 Series III (hopefully)
Macchi C-202 Series VIII (hopefully)

French

Dewoitine D.520 (Hispano 12Y45 engine)
Dewoitine D.520 (Hispano 12Y49 high altitude)

British

Gladiator II (with Tropical filter)

Spitfire IIB (IIA with two 20mm cannon, four .303)
Spitfire VA (eight .303 +12 boost)
Spitfire VB (+12 boost)
Spitfire VB (+16 boost)
Spitfire VB (Merlin 46 High Altitude)
Spitfire VB Tropical (+16 boost)
Spitfire VB Tropical (Merlin 46 High Altitude)

Hurricane IIA (eight .303)
Hurricane IIB (twelve .303)
Hurricane IIB Fighter-Bomber
Hurricane IIC (four 20mm)
Hurricane IIC Light Fighter (two 2Omm)
Hurricane IID Tankbuster (possibly)
(plus Tropical versions of all)

Beaufighter Mk IF - Late (with Hercules XI)
Beaufighter Mk IC (with Hercules XI, bombs)
(and versions with Tropical filters)

Wellington IA
Wellington IC (with waist gun positions)
(and versions with Tropical filters)

Blenheim IV/IF with Tropical filters

American

P-40C (Tomahawk IIB)
P-40E (Kittyhawk IA)
(Will be early and late versions of both these aircraft... different boost levels.)

Martlet IIIB

--------------------------------------------------

I say worrying simply because that's one aircraft (the 109F) and above is a huge list of aircraft to have cockpits created and imported. I did see that certain models are ready for import, but the 109F was ready and imported and yet it is still using placeholders....which makes me wonder how many other aircraft are or will be using placeholders for import?

Hopefully next time there will be some news on any other aircraft that have never been shown, so no more 109F or Gladiator. Buzzsaw said that this will appear sooner than we think and without a schedule to go by, then the amount of aircraft above would suggest mid-2019 if the team have only just got this far with the 109F?

In regards to the ground vehicles, they look excellent and it's always a great feature to have them to make the battlefield come alive. Hopefully the issue with Ai vehicles travel, stop, swerve, travel, stop, bounce into each other, travel, stop, swerve, etc, etc can be fixed to make these look amazing in transit, especially with dust being thrown up as they progress. I also wonder in regard to the vehicles if there is any way or maybe it is still in the code, that the infantry aboard can run and dive for cover when being attacked, just like in 1946? Something to add a bit of life to the battlefield.

Regarding effects, maybe in the next update we can see some of the bug fixes in regards to effects? Has the grass tile issue been fixed? I noticed that there is no long grass on the outskirts of the runway which makes it easier to not show grass tiles popping into existence?

Regarding effects, Tobruk is going to be dusty, very, very dusty. I hope that one of the coding team is working with the effects guys to add new features and hooks because one feature that is certainly missing at the moment in CloD is a visual propwash effect.

This BoX video (one of the best ever) shows an excellent representation of propwash on the ground causing dust to be kicked up. Check out the 4m 12s mark and then the 15m 17s mark:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpvNCECzQ9s

By the way, the effects in BoX are fantastic, the grass, dust, tyre tracks and people moving just bring it all to life.

I hope that something like this is being included with v5.00 not only for the take-off but also when the aircraft flies close to the deck (land or water), something to show that there is a pressure wave created by the aircraft. This and with a fix to the pop up grass tiles (obviously not Tobruk but probably a legacy issue unless solved, will certainly add to the visual fidelity.

So can the next update maybe show some new effects (nice engine startup flame on the 109F by the way) and maybe a selection of new aircraft, especially as there are so many to choose from?

Cheers, MP

Bonkin

Post by Bonkin » Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:13 pm

Gahhh. I know Dickie... the schedule is what we banged on about for ages - that and content, e.g. a 1941 plane set. I really do get the frustrations and piss-taking.

I said in my first update that there isn't a Gantt Chart to manage the programme - everything is task based because of the way the work has to be split across many different people who are all working voluntarily and who therefore try to predict when things will be complete - but cannot guarantee it. TFS is not a professional organisation that can pull in additional resource to ensure delivery dates are achieved. This, and the fact that the team do not have control over the actual release date, is why I say we can't forecast.

You know as I do that tasks are not of equal length. Some will take more resource to complete than others - so me saying we're 50% through our tasks isn't going to help either. And, if I told you the date the team is working to internally and then we failed to meet for whatever reason, that would be seen as bad as well. The only thing I can do therefore is to give you honest information on team stability, achievements and status. From this you should be able to gleen how far along things are.

What I would say is that just like yourself, people can burn out and suffer a lack of motivation. A move to BoX will do us all good I think... but the fact is that we don't have a lot of choices. Bodenplatte may be awesome and change everything, then again, we may find we can't do half the things with it that we can/could with CLoD. ED may sort out their DM and graphics issues - and finally deliver all the things that were promised with the crowd funding venture. Then again, they may not. I have real hopes for v5.0... it will give us another war to fight and new aircraft as well. Hence why I'm trying.

About the map tool... this is actually very important. Up to now, the reason why we've not seen much evidence of the map is because it has been a very labour intensive process prone to errors. The team now have the original Maddox tool working, e.g. the one used to create the BoB map. This means that map work can accelerate. It also means that other map development teams could use it to build supplementary maps going forward.

Regarding the 501 movie... we definitely need a drunken night of recording the voice over. I'll admit I've lost some motivation for this project - but I expect a good get together and laugh could rekindle my mojo.
:salute:

Onebad

Post by Onebad » Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:47 pm

Hell yeah Bonkin.
Can't wait.

Broadsword

Post by Broadsword » Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:45 pm

Definitely up for some drunken hijinks :D
I must go up to the skies again, to the peace of silent flight, To the gull’s way, and the hawk’s way, and the free wings’ delight;
And all I ask is a friendly joke with a laughing fellow rover, And a large beer, and a deep sleep, when the long flight’s over.

BlackDog

Post by BlackDog » Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:48 pm

:lol:

Oli Reed in full flow! This type of drunken chat?

:salute:
BD
We are the Pilgrims, master; we shall go always a little further; it may be beyond that last blue mountain barred with snow across that angry or that glimmering sea

SOW Reddog

Post by SOW Reddog » Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:15 am

Funnily enough Dickie, your comments mirror my own.
http://stormofwar.org/phpBB3/viewtopic. ... 824#p53055

Sadly I think we are in a catch 22. If we support TF5 then captain calamity will claim he was right all along and look how successful TF5 was, and if we don't then it will all be our fault.