Structural G limits in TF patch

Moderator: Board of Directors

Robo

Structural G limits in TF patch

Post by Robo » Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:36 am

Regarding the accidents with the wings ripped off in a high speed situations, the issue has already been raised and solved (Tom contacted me that one of the Hungarian pilots was complaining that 109 is more affected than the Spitfire etc.) - the G limits are definitely set identical for all fighter planes in the game to -4 / +10G and they are certainly calculated correctly. It has been tested again within TF just to make sure and then Tom came back to me that there is no problem after all, the guy was using trim at 700kph and simply exceeded the (rather generous) G limit. The problem is that all aircraft are more maneuverable at high speeds and the game allows to back on the stick and apply more elevator than you would realistically be able to do. Compressibility is not modeled at all at the moment.

The G limits will be re-fined in the 2nd release, things like partial (non-fatal) structural damage - bent structures and so on. There is no problem though with this new feature and you will only lose your wing when you pull 10G. This is easier done with the elevator trim, we have to be much more careful now at high speed. I had no time to reply in the chat as I was flying but what happened to you Farber was that you got in fast and tried to follow me in a tight turn and you applied more than 10G by using elevator trim + back stick for a short moment and that was it. Rolling G is not implemented as far we know.

*edit* as for G limits of the pilot (blackout) and the machine (structural damage), mind you that you can exceed the structural damage thershold of +10g without blacking out. Blacking out / g-loc, although not modelled correctly at all, is more about pulling continuous Gs while structural damage can and will occur even on a short +10g spike. As we don't feel the Gs, we just need to be much more careful.