Sprog Here. 2 Questions. This place looks awesome!

Mother Russia invaded by ACG!

Moderators: Board of Directors, Command

BC-Lewis

Sprog Here. 2 Questions. This place looks awesome!

Post by BC-Lewis » Mon May 16, 2022 8:58 pm

Hi all
This looks like like an awesome community. Just spent 30' reading the brilliantly made 1940's booklet and am hooked. Been playing 'Wings of Prey' for 3 years and very bored of it. This is just the ticket!

2 Questions.
1. What is the best computer for playing this? Budget £1500 assuming I also need monitor, controls etc.
2. IL2 or DCS. Which is easiest to master. I can fly well enough (within reason!) but being in my early 40's I am a bit shit with computers and my understanding is DCS is pretty complex both flying and with the tech side of things.

Any advice much appreciated. My aim is to be joining you all in a few months time once I have got the right comp and learned to operate the systems on a new computer and platform. Perhaps I should aim for mid August to mid September as a target. What could go wrong?

BCL

Jackman
Hauptmann
Hauptmann
Staffelkapitan
contributor

Re: Sprog Here. 2 Questions. This place looks awesome!

Post by Jackman » Mon May 16, 2022 11:22 pm

Hi Lewis
Welcome to ACG
We mainly use IL-2 Sturmovik great battles series. It's the easier one to learn.
DCS would be far more detailed and a bigger learning curve.
As for PC spec with a budget of £1500
You would probably get a desktop Gaming PC for around £1000 at an Entry Level with a GeForce RTX 3050,
Intel Core i7 12700, with 16g of Ram. Check out Scan or Overclockers. You will need a joy stick a good one people use is a Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS Hotas they are excellent at around £120. Lastly you will need some kind of head tracking there is some cheaper option that people use, you shouldn't spend any more then £60.
Please don't hesitate to contact us again if you need any further information or help. And hopefully we will see you in the virtual Skies over Europe.

May today be better than yesterday, but, not as good as tomorrow.

Emma1950

Post by Emma1950 » Tue May 17, 2022 5:36 am

For a PC I'd say you can even go a little cheaper or/and better. You could try an older Ryzen cpu that has cheaper motherboards than Intel and you can overclock it. As for GPU, I'd say you can look for Radeon 6600 if this isn't the only game you're interested in. 16gb of RAM should be enough. You can try pcpartpicker and see what you can find in others' setups.

BC-Lewis

Post by BC-Lewis » Tue May 17, 2022 9:33 am

Thanks so much! From my research I quite agree with Il2 v DCS.

Head tracker...this very hi tec for a man of my age.
Great intell...hope to join you guys soon!

Jackman
Hauptmann
Hauptmann
Staffelkapitan
contributor

Post by Jackman » Tue May 17, 2022 10:30 am

Emma1950 wrote:
Tue May 17, 2022 5:36 am
For a PC I'd say you can even go a little cheaper or/and better. You could try an older Ryzen cpu that has cheaper motherboards than Intel and you can overclock it. As for GPU, I'd say you can look for Radeon 6600 if this isn't the only game you're interested in. 16gb of RAM should be enough. You can try pcpartpicker and see what you can find in others' setups.
I would 100% agree with you Emma, if Lewis was an experienced Simmer who knows a bit about PCs and difference between components and building and overclocking them. But he just wants to get started so I would advise him to buy a pre bulid gameing pc with a ok spec off some of the main steam PC suppliers for safety and come back if any issues arise.
If Lewis gets into flight simulations he can upgrade or bulid a pc when he gains experience and knows what he wants.
Thats just my opinion.

Jackman :salute:

May today be better than yesterday, but, not as good as tomorrow.

BC-Lewis

Post by BC-Lewis » Wed May 18, 2022 10:53 am

Jackman, you have hit the nail on the head! Would rather pay a bit more for an off the shelf PC that’s got the right specs and myself in the air!