ACG Draft

Mother Russia invaded by ACG!

Moderators: Board of Directors, Command

Smokejumper

ACG Draft

Post by Smokejumper » Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:38 pm

I have had an idea to resolve pilot balance. Ill go or fly where im needed to keep ACG balanced. I came to ACG to fly Spitfires. So far 2.6 years in dirty 109s. (Love em)

We have a skill imbalance in BoX. Part of it is good pilots tend to find each other and fly as a unit. They become your prefered wingmen for obvious reasons. This has naturally lead to skill imbalance.

The other issue is a lot of the top pilots also have the most hours. Making the skill gap wider.

I propose an ACG draft as an idea. It would be a challenge due to time zones and language but i feel we're clever and could figure it out.

My 2c idea. Could work or could be retarded. I know a lot of people are funny about particular aircraft but for the good of ACG trying a new aircraft can be fun and rewarding.

Thanks all.

Smokejumper

Re: ACG Draft

Post by Smokejumper » Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:43 pm

Can admin move to where all of ACG can see? Posted wrong spot.

Thank you.

Gromic
Pilot Officer
Pilot Officer

Post by Gromic » Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:24 pm

32 Squadron / USAAF 84 Squadron

Smokejumper

Post by Smokejumper » Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:36 pm

Thanks!

Thaine

Post by Thaine » Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:42 am

So how would this exactly work?
Fractal Design Define R6 / Gigabyte Z390 AORUS MASTER / Intel i9-9900K / 32 GB RAM / NVIDIA GeForce GTX2080Ti / WD Black SN750 / Corsair Hydro H100i RGB Platinum / Corsair RM850x / WINDOWS 10 / LG 42LE5300 / TrackIR / HP Reverb G2 / Saitek AV8R-MK3 / Saitek ProFlight Throttle Quadrant / Saitek ProFlight Rudder Paddels / Saitek ProFlight Cessna Trim Wheel

Donkey
Pilot Officer
Pilot Officer
Adjutant
Staff

Post by Donkey » Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:23 am

I'm with Thaine - how would this work? Is it a draft as in "You are now flying for LW/VVS until you hear otherwise"? I could kind of see this working at a unit level if each ACG unit has a native LW unit, a native VVS unit and a preferred faction. That way, given the numbers of units required for the mission, they get swapped between the two on a per-mission basis. i.e. If we need to reflect a (and I am making numbers up here) 30:70 LW advantage at some point we round that to 10LW units in game to 5VVS units for that mission, and then later it shifts in the other direction (i.e. 10VVS anf 5 LW). We could do that with some form of weighted random number generator deciding who gets to play what (i.e. let's say you have a preferred faction of VVS, for the first lottery/draft you have the same probability of being chosen to swap to LW as any other "preferred" VVS unit - but next time around your chance is reduced if you were previously chosen, making it more likely you would be VVS). Is that the kind of thing you are after? Or are you suggesting something on a more individual level?

Guido

Post by Guido » Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:40 am

The Numbers Game:

At the opening of Typhoon the Soviets had 708 fighters, the Luftwaffe had 370, so just a shade below a 2:1 advantage. That advantage increased as the campaign progressed to about 3.5:1 by December ’41. This ignores the effects of weather and logistics, which further reduced Luftwaffe sortie rates in comparison to what the Soviets could and would launch.

In the last completed ACG mission, the Soviets had 28 fighters, the Luftwaffe had 52, so just below a 2:1 advantage the other way, which sort of illustrates the present VVS predicament.

The Soviet fighter numbers are particularly low now with 233 IAP transferring from I-16s to IL2s.

Looked at simplistically, to reflect actual the fighter force ratios, about half the ACG Luftwaffe fighter pilots would need to change sides, either temporarily or permanently :o :shock: :shock:

A mitigating factor is that the Soviets could not exploit this advantage very well, so the Luftwaffe was not always locally outnumbered 2:1 or more, although that potential certainly existed. So changes in the numbers for each side wouldn’t necessarily need to be that drastic. If and how any such transfers might be managed (generous individual volunteers like Smokejumper or unit swaps as per Donkey’s idea) would need some careful consideration. If too many people are having to ‘feel the pain’ of flying something they don’t want to, then we are going in the wrong direction.

Having said that, future potential campaigns are going to see similar if not more extremes of unbalanced numbers, so finding a way to address this now is going to make things easier, or at least give people an idea of what to expect in terms of pilot seats available for any given side.

Guido

Onebad

Post by Onebad » Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:47 am

Guido, do you have any detailed data on types of aircraft and their available numbers during Typhoon? I'd like to take a look at that, if it's possible.

LuftAsher

Post by LuftAsher » Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:51 am

If individual pilots want to transfer across to help out with the numbers, that is fantastic, but I vehemently oppose sending them against their will. The only time I'd consider strong-arming someone into a transfer, is if it were an entire unit. At least in that case, they can remain with their mates.

If someone came to me and said "Right, you're too good, you have to fly VVS now." I'd tell them to get fucked, and if they forced the issue, I'd simply quit. If it was my entire unit, I'd have a much easier time putting up with it because at least then I'm still with the boys.

So to summarise: Volunteers, yes. Shotgun transfers, no.

Rich

Post by Rich » Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:42 pm

I thought it was a creative solution but one that I would be strongly against as I wouldn't want to be forced to fly in a squadron against my will. I'm really delighted with the way 9th is run and the way everyone handles themselves.

It did make me think...what if when you died or were captured you were then reassigned to another squadron! I wouldn't be in favour of it either but it has a certain appeal.