Box Damage model

Mother Russia invaded by ACG!

Moderators: Board of Directors, Command

Paddy

Re: Box Damage model

Post by Paddy » Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:06 am

Trystan wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 4:08 am
Nearly every combat sim I have ever seen makes the wings far too strong. The main spar of a wing, even in combat aircraft, never extends to the tip of the wing for several structural and aerodynamic reasons. The outer third of the wing is a good average for the structure beyond the main spar.

The vulnerability of the main spar and the role of the skin and ribs of a wing in relation to the structural integrity of the entire wing is one of the reasons pilots would head for home as soon as they could if they received damage, or more likely bail out even if it was over enemy territory. The outer part of a wing coming off after receiving damage is quite realistic.

Part of the P-47's legendary durability came from Republic placing 5 main spars in the wing rather than the normal 2 or 3, and using multiple reinforced outer spars to the rib supporting the outside end of the aileron.
All reads well informed but In fairness to others I have lept on in the past, citation is needed to back up your statements please.
Cheers,

Paddy
Group Captain John 'Paddy' Hemingway, we salute you

Trystan

Post by Trystan » Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:09 am

Paddy wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:06 am
All reads well informed but In fairness to others I have lept on in the past, citation is needed to back up your statements please.
You're right, I mis-remembered:
Main members of the wing are the two main spars which support attachment of the wing to the fuselage and three auxiliary spars, one each supporting the aileron and flap and the other supporting the landing gear.
The two mains go to the end of the wing, both supporting the aileron mounting rib. The auxiliaries support the inner aileron hinge, flap, landing gear, and inner ammo bay rib.

http://rwebs.net/avhistory/history/p-47.htm is the quickest reference I can look up right now.
ASUS Z97 / Intel i7-4790K@4.2 GHz / 64 GB RAM / NVIDIA GeForce GTX1080Ti 11GB / WINDOWS 10 64-bit / 3 x 27" Monitors / Oculus Rift / Thrustmaster 16000m / Thrustmaster FCS Throttle Quadrant / Saitek Pro Flight Combat Rudder Pedals

Jaydog
Hauptmann
Hauptmann
Staffelkapitan

Post by Jaydog » Sat Sep 12, 2020 12:10 pm

Trystan wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 7:45 pm
Coopes, here is some gun camera footage of a 190 attacking a P-47 at low level (where the 190 will easily out turn the 47). Both pilots appear to be good at their craft, but notice how little the P-47 is in frame in shooting position because of the turn. And at this level and apparent speed (judging from the clouds and visible ground) neither aircraft can pull more than probably 3 G's. It's interesting to note even given the on-paper maneuverability advantage the 190 pilot has to pull right into a stall to get his guns on the 47. I'm including the whole URL here because you can't include a timestamp in a YouTube reference. If you're interested in aerodynamics and numbers, this is a good video on P-47 performance.

https://youtu.be/KahHLtYlveQ?t=4378
Interesting clip....looks like that 190 had a short convergence to me as his first shots appeared to miss behind the P47 unless I was just seeing things

i9-9900k, 3.6 GHz, GeForce RTX 3090 FE, 64 GB RAM, 1 TB Samsung EVO SSD, 480 GB SSD, 1 TB SATA III Hard Drive, Windows 10, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro Joystick, Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS HOTAS, Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals; VR: Oculus Rift S/ Reverb G2