Contact spotting in VR

Mother Russia invaded by ACG!

Moderators: Board of Directors, Command

Tex
Flight Sergeant
Flight Sergeant

Re: Contact spotting in VR

Post by Tex » Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:49 pm

Following this as I need to spot better. Of course it may be my abilities and not the computer.
Image Howdy Ya'll!

Dickie
Group Captain
Group Captain
ACG Board
contributor

Post by Dickie » Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:37 am

Been through the video which largely matches Ginger's settings too and everything was pretty smooth around the 45 frames mark. Things were clear and ran smoothly. I have no benchmark for spotting in BoX anyway so no idea if things are good or not, Occasionally I have 'dual frames' vision of nearby aircraft, I guess this is a frame sync issue.

Reverb G2
3060Ti
4790K chipset (3.5Ghz)
16Gb RAM

I'll overclock the card next so I can possibly up the candy, better clouds or something.

One thing, Ginger says about putting the Steam resolution to 70% but this is 25x26 per eye and that's bigger than native. The fella in the video set to 50% which is 21x22 roughly native. Can someone explain how going above native will help? In performance or spotting?

Thanks to all, very useful thread.

Broadsword

Post by Broadsword » Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:29 am

The rumour that I heard is that the Steam VR setting is inaccurate (something to do with barrel distortion on the screens intentionally interacting with the fresnel lenses to create a final image) so the 'correct setting' should actually be higher. I'd heard that 70-80% was about right, but I've also heard that you should let it go to 100% if you can.

Found a video on it that might be accurate...?

I must go up to the skies again, to the peace of silent flight, To the gull’s way, and the hawk’s way, and the free wings’ delight;
And all I ask is a friendly joke with a laughing fellow rover, And a large beer, and a deep sleep, when the long flight’s over.

Thaine

Post by Thaine » Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:41 am

Yes, this was a rumor that I also got to hear once I started with VR. But It's not true afaik. I attached another video that explains it and I also heard the rumor being dismissed by other posts and videos from people that now the technology.

What steam shows you is the resolution the PC sends to the headset, more or less. However, the headset will distort that image and preprocess it to correct the lens distortion. To be able to do that it has to use an image with a higher resolution.

This basically means that if you set the render scale in steam to 100%, your PC is sending a higher res image to the headset, where it gets distorted (or corrected) for the lens distortion, so that your eyes are seeing the image at the specified resolution of your headset.

If you go below 100% you under-sample, which can help performance. The choice is yours.

Fractal Design Define R6 / Gigabyte Z390 AORUS MASTER / Intel i9-9900K / 32 GB RAM / NVIDIA GeForce GTX2080Ti / WD Black SN750 / Corsair Hydro H100i RGB Platinum / Corsair RM850x / WINDOWS 10 / LG 42LE5300 / TrackIR / HP Reverb G2 / Saitek AV8R-MK3 / Saitek ProFlight Throttle Quadrant / Saitek ProFlight Rudder Paddels / Saitek ProFlight Cessna Trim Wheel

Tex
Flight Sergeant
Flight Sergeant

Post by Tex » Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:53 pm

Just wanted to share this Youtube video as my quest to improve spotting ability in Reverb G2 continues. I recently watched it and used each suggestion it made. The game now functions much better for me and I can actually spot aircraft! So much of an improvement that it feels like a new game. I am not certain which change resulted in the improvement. I literally followed each step in the video and made the same changes before restarting the game. I noticed that the environment is brighter now with these changes. In the past, other aircraft would disappear into the ground colors. I can now see aircraft better while both looking down and up. The changes also improved my visibility as the scenes seem more fluid. In the past, I would often get a lag when turning my head quickly to track a target. The changes also did away with a "blurry" effect I would sometimes get where it felt as if I was looking through an oily lens. Hope this helps anyone setting up a Reverb.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tf0GgPFBFA
Image Howdy Ya'll!

Kit Pepper
Leutnant
Leutnant
Adjutant
contributor

Post by Kit Pepper » Sat Dec 04, 2021 2:12 pm

Thanks for sharing the link Tex.
I use a 10-70 card and this helped jack up my fps from the 40's to the high 50's, and made it all around much smoother. Also my spotting has improved along with it.
I'll eventually be upgrading my gear, but for now, this is a noticeable improvement.

Ginger
Wing Commander
Wing Commander
ACG Board
contributor
Location: The centre of the known universe Nottingham, England

Post by Ginger » Sun Dec 05, 2021 5:19 pm

Try adjusting the World Scale Override setting if your using steam VR, it make everything bigger without any noticeable loss in performance!
DEAD PILOTS DONT MAKE CLAIMS

Kit Pepper
Leutnant
Leutnant
Adjutant
contributor

Post by Kit Pepper » Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:03 pm

My in campaign results were a big improvement with these changes. I followed them as he prescribed and I've gone from 40 fps to 60's. Flying and head movement is much smoother with no dragonfly wings, and my spotting has improved. On the Sunday mission, I was the first to spot the enemy contacts, at over 25 km distance. This was the first time ever that I was the first to spot, and I'm nearsighted too. Additionally, I can ID the AC silhouettes at greater distances. The clouds are a bit shimmery, but the AC stand out well against them, so np there.
Until I upgrade my gear, this will help tremendously.
Thanks again for the link Tex.

Tex
Flight Sergeant
Flight Sergeant

Post by Tex » Mon Dec 06, 2021 6:20 pm

I really feel the settings helped me get more out of the Reverb. Of course, I still managed to get shot down this week by someone I did not see. Running out of excuses for how bad I am. But, I can see now.
Image Howdy Ya'll!

Kit Pepper
Leutnant
Leutnant
Adjutant
contributor

Post by Kit Pepper » Tue Dec 07, 2021 2:46 pm

Unfortunately I was shot down too (all my fault), but I did shoot one Spit down, and knocked another one out of the fight. I'm still a work in progress, but these new settings did help my SA quite a bit..