Moderators: Board of Directors, Command

Scooby

Re: gunsights in vr

Post by Scooby » Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:07 pm

Kit Pepper wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:30 pm
Talisman wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:44 pm
look through it and beyond it and fix both eyes (not one) on the target/bandit.

Happy landings,

Talisman
As Talisman says, look at the target with both eyes. You will automatically line up with your dominate eye. Both eyes will be on the target but the crosshairs will be lined up with your dominate eye.
To prove this, just look at the target with both eyes open, then close one for a sec. If the crosshairs don't move, that is your dominant eye. If the crosshairs suddenly move, then that is not your dominant eye.
thats the problem. its inbetween the 2 lol

Kit Pepper
Leutnant
Leutnant
Adjutant
contributor

Post by Kit Pepper » Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:05 pm

Scooby, it sounds like you are looking at the target with the gunsight between both eye's line of sight (just slightly).

What I do is, with both eyes open I move my head a little to the right, so my left eye (my dominant eye) is looking through the crosshairs. Some AC have the gunsight mounted a little to the right because most people shoot (as in shooting a rifle, off the right shoulder) with the right eye.

The first thing you should do is figure out which eye is your dominant eye. Easy test, make a hole in a piece of paper and hold it at arms length and with both eyes open look through the hole at an object across the room. When you see the object, close one eye. If you still see the object, THAT is your dominate eye. If the object moves and you don't see it, that is NOT your dominant eye. Most people are right eye dominant (like right handedness).

Once you know, just move your head slightly so your dominant eye is seeing the crosshairs on the target.
This all sounds complex, but really it should all be intuitive. You can train yourself to aim with your nondominant eye, but your brain will usually default to what is natural.

Another thing you can do is lean your head to the gunsight, and put your dominant eye to it, like sighting a rifle.

And finally, you could close one eye, which I do not recommend. Because you will lose your depth perception if you close one eye, and that is why VR is so much more effective than flat screen in the first place, so keep both eyes open.

Just play around with it, and do what feels the most natural, and your brain will just intuitively do it.

Orb
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer
Staff
contributor

Post by Orb » Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:22 pm

I just centre the VR then lean left very slightly to bring the gunsight up clear in my right eye. Simples.

Kit Pepper
Leutnant
Leutnant
Adjutant
contributor

Post by Kit Pepper » Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:28 pm

Orb wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:22 pm
I just centre the VR then lean left very slightly to bring the gunsight up clear in my right eye. Simples.
Without overthinking it, that's precisely what I meant.

Scooby

Post by Scooby » Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:37 pm

Kit Pepper wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:05 pm
Scooby, it sounds like you are looking at the target with the gunsight between both eye's line of sight (just slightly).

What I do is, with both eyes open I move my head a little to the right, so my left eye (my dominant eye) is looking through the crosshairs. Some AC have the gunsight mounted a little to the right because most people shoot (as in shooting a rifle, off the right shoulder) with the right eye.

The first thing you should do is figure out which eye is your dominant eye. Easy test, make a hole in a piece of paper and hold it at arms length and with both eyes open look through the hole at an object across the room. When you see the object, close one eye. If you still see the object, THAT is your dominate eye. If the object moves and you don't see it, that is NOT your dominant eye. Most people are right eye dominant (like right handedness).

Once you know, just move your head slightly so your dominant eye is seeing the crosshairs on the target.
This all sounds complex, but really it should all be intuitive. You can train yourself to aim with your nondominant eye, but your brain will usually default to what is natural.

Another thing you can do is lean your head to the gunsight, and put your dominant eye to it, like sighting a rifle.

And finally, you could close one eye, which I do not recommend. Because you will lose your depth perception if you close one eye, and that is why VR is so much more effective than flat screen in the first place, so keep both eyes open.

Just play around with it, and do what feels the most natural, and your brain will just intuitively do it.
im experrimenting with that ingame. im also offsetting then recentering the view soi im off to 1 side. i cant decide if left or right eye is dominant ingame, il do the paper test

Orb
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer
Staff
contributor

Post by Orb » Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:36 pm

From personal experience, i move my eye to the sight, rather that sight to my eye.

What invariably happens is the headset loses tracking when its all kicking off.... which leaves you little time to angle your face and keep pressing centre to get it just right. If you learn how to quickly centre and offset your head slightly, you can do it quickly on the fly mid dogfight.

Jaydog
Hauptmann
Hauptmann
Staffelkapitan

Post by Jaydog » Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:50 pm

Honestly, i sometimes dont even use my sight, unless I am dead six. Most of my shots are deflection shots and I like to spray out ahead and let them fly into my lead and cannon stream or I like to walk my rounds i to him by watching my tracers .

i9-9900k, 3.6 GHz, GeForce RTX 3090 FE, 64 GB RAM, 1 TB Samsung EVO SSD, 480 GB SSD, 1 TB SATA III Hard Drive, Windows 10, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro Joystick, Warthog Flight Stick, Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS HOTAS, Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals; MFG Crosswinds, VR: Oculus Rift S/ Reverb G2 / Pimax Crystal

Kit Pepper
Leutnant
Leutnant
Adjutant
contributor

Post by Kit Pepper » Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:06 pm

Jaydog wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:50 pm
Honestly, i sometimes dont even use my sight, unless I am dead six. Most of my shots are deflection shots and I like to spray out ahead and let them fly into my lead and cannon stream or I like to walk my rounds i to him by watching my tracers .
I agree Jaydog. It's like spraying a garden hose. It's more intuitive than aiming, and I'd say you're pretty damn good at it!
It should all be intuitive, and not have to think about which eye. And yeah, dead six is where I want to see him in the crosshairs.