Rift S and GTX 1070 settings needed

Mother Russia invaded by ACG!

Moderators: Board of Directors, Command

Pinetree
Flying Officer
Flying Officer

Rift S and GTX 1070 settings needed

Post by Pinetree » Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:58 am

Hi Chaps, I have just purchased a Oculus Rift S and need help with some settings, as my cockpit is blurry, spotting range is not far at all and its making me feel sick at times. All this spoiling my VR experience.
I have GTX1070, CPU Ryzen 5 3600, 16GB DDR4, but need to make this work as upgrading is not possible at the moment.
Any help would be appreciated.
Pinetree.

If i was flying Goose would still be alive!

Kit Pepper
Leutnant
Leutnant
Adjutant
contributor

Re: Rift S and GTX 1070 settings needed

Post by Kit Pepper » Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:47 pm

Welcome to the VR world Pinetree. I did had the Rift S, but upgraded to the Reverb G2. I'm sure there are some chaps that can walk you through the best settings.
However, the sad fact is that VR is not as clear and sharp (yet) as a nice big flat screen will be. Spotting is difficult, yes, but you will find that once you have spotted a target, it is much easier to track and not lose sight of. By all means, get the settings adjusted to make the most of it, and you will find after you have flown in VR for a few weeks, that the experience is more about the "being there in the cockpit" than it is about clarity. Even so, the VR experience is worth it IMO.
As far as feeling sick, I never did. I've felt a little motion queasiness , but it never bothered me to the point of feeling sick. If you do, just take a break, and let your brain adjust. In time, it won't bother you.
I will venture to guess that after a few weeks in VR, you won't want to go back to flat screen even if it is not a sharp.

Pinetree
Flying Officer
Flying Officer

Post by Pinetree » Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:51 pm

I have heard a few different opinions and i still think there is some magic settings out there which will wow me even more with the VR. Thank you of the advice Kit,

Donkey
Pilot Officer
Pilot Officer
Adjutant
Staff

Post by Donkey » Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:06 pm

You can supersample in VR to improve the image quality - although as I have the index I do it through Steam VR and am not certain what the approach is for the Rift. Realistically with a 1070 you won't be able to dial everything up to max, but you should be able to find a good set of settings. Bully has a Rift S, as has Bunny - may be worth asking them?

Pinetree
Flying Officer
Flying Officer

Post by Pinetree » Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:46 pm

Super job Donkey.

Jaydog
Hauptmann
Hauptmann
Staffelkapitan

Post by Jaydog » Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:40 pm

I have the Rift S as a backup to my G2. I used to super sample at 136% with steam VR in the Rift. I never go above high on any settings. If you get a little nauseated, take a break a d come back to it later. After a couple days you get used to it. Congrats on the VR leap

i9-9900k, 3.6 GHz, GeForce RTX 3090 FE, 64 GB RAM, 1 TB Samsung EVO SSD, 480 GB SSD, 1 TB SATA III Hard Drive, Windows 10, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro Joystick, Warthog Flight Stick, Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS HOTAS, Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals; MFG Crosswinds, VR: Oculus Rift S/ Reverb G2 / Pimax Crystal