No markings, no skins ...

Mother Russia invaded by ACG!

Moderators: Board of Directors, Command

Pitti

No markings, no skins ...

Post by Pitti » Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:34 pm

Disappointing news in today's Developer Diary: http://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/168 ... ntry108965
5) When will we have the chance to make skins for aircraft? Personal markings and numbers? Kill markings on aircraft?
Making paint schemes for planes in IL2BOS is a quite complex process. Those who have experience in creating skins for ROF aircrafts know that there are various materials used in planes’ structure and making a proper camo is a sign of a true master. There won’t be any ingame editor, we have no time for it. Nevertheless it will be possible to add your own skins, and we’ll provide you with necessary tools for it. You’ll be free to create anything for your offline missions. Neither campaign nor multiplayer will be playable with custom made skins. Because, firstly, you may draw a transparent plane and gain unfair advantage, and secondly, your creative ideas may be offensive to other players in our worldwide community. Further details about user made skins will be revealed later, before the launch.

8) How will numbers and emblems be put on the planes: as entire skins (RoF) or like decals (1946; CloD)?
Like it’s in RoF.
So online squadron flying will be total shit since we can't even apply markings to identify each other ....

My reply in the BoS forum: http://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/582 ... /?p=109044

Dickie
Group Captain
Group Captain
ACG Board
contributor

Re: No markings, no skins ...

Post by Dickie » Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:51 pm

Nice to see their backward thinking in action again. This is one reason why RoF didn't thrive - online is everything.

Von Archie

Post by Von Archie » Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:39 pm

Onwards to CoD Afrika then hopefully, and in the future, DCS WWII. I sold my copy of BoS...
i5 4690k / MSI Gaming 5 / 2 x 8 GB Crucial Ballistix ram / Zotac AMP! 980Ti / 2 x 250 SSDs
VPC MongoosT-50 joystick / MFG Crosswind pedals / GVL 109/111 Throttle / Oculus Rift

Pitti

Post by Pitti » Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:55 pm

Replies from Community Manager Zak.
Zak wrote:
BraveSirRobin wrote: Hopefully that is a language/translation issue. We need more than just a few dev produced skins.
There will be user skins in custom battles and on unranked multiplayer servers. If there are any new plans about skin making - we'll tell you but it is what it is.
Zak wrote:
BraveSirRobin wrote:Zak, I hope you eventually implement the skins system that is used in RoF. The more skins, the better.
I know that you count on that. We can't promise it now so what I suggest is that you keep this quotation in mind

Robo

Post by Robo » Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:30 pm

Not a big deal for me as long as it won't work like in RoF where you will see default skins when there is too many planes around.

Dots

Post by Dots » Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:15 pm

Osprey wrote:Nice to see their backward thinking in action again. This is one reason why RoF didn't thrive - online is everything.
I wouldn't say everything, as there are those like me that only have time for offline campaings.
But, god damn, what is with these guys? I still don't understand the no haken policy, especially as the soviets were at least as bad as the Nasdap.
Then this as the skins policy? Christ on a cracker.
Alright, back to work and xenophon.

Edit: I still have a significant pic, yay!

Pitti

Post by Pitti » Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:19 pm

Dots wrote:I still don't understand the no haken policy, especially as the soviets were at least as bad as the Nasdap.
It's because of the laws. You are not allowed to sell games in Germany and in Russia that contains swastikas.

Azref

Post by Azref » Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:21 pm

Ok before people jump to conclusions on the skins in BOS, the devs have yet to give a definitive answer. They mention in the latest dev blog that they will be releasing skinning tools at launch, which imo is no worse than ROF.

Being a ROF player i can tell you when doing multiplayer campaigns there is never an issue identifying wingmen, especially with the number of historic skins available. I'm sure in time this will be the case in BOS as well.

They also stated that you can use skins on non-ranked servers just like in CLOD (we all know the issue with skin lag in CLOD after all).

As for the lack of swastika on aircraft, personally i couldn't give a F***k, there are much more important things.
Ask about ACG contraband, I can get what you need.

Kraut

Post by Kraut » Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:11 pm

Very disappointed as well with both the squad markings and skinning decisions. They seriously better get their head out of their ass on the squadron markings, this is ridiculously crucial, I don't know how they don't see this. It will make "proper" squad play almost impossible.

I am also disappointed about the skinning in MP. I'm hoping that something was lost in translation and that we will be able to have our fixed skins locally as in the Cliffs MP. This is the best solution possible due to sales restrictions in certain places and those of us still wanting the historical skins.
I totally understand why they don't want server-side custom skins allowed, their reasons make sense, you know there would be nothing but invisible planes and planes covered in cocks, but they absolutely must allow for us to have local custom skins when in MP.

I too posted on their forums about this, let's hope we are actually heard.

Von Archie

Post by Von Archie » Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:06 pm

I wouldn't get your hopes up, most people told them their 'unlocks' idea was crap as well, but they are still going ahead with it.
i5 4690k / MSI Gaming 5 / 2 x 8 GB Crucial Ballistix ram / Zotac AMP! 980Ti / 2 x 250 SSDs
VPC MongoosT-50 joystick / MFG Crosswind pedals / GVL 109/111 Throttle / Oculus Rift