one of our own (Ape) has posted a mini-review of BoS

Mother Russia invaded by ACG!

Moderators: Board of Directors, Command

Krass

Re: one of our own (Ape) has posted a mini-review of BoS

Post by Krass » Fri Oct 17, 2014 12:26 am

You summed up the Anton quite nicely for me there Dave, glad its not just me then!

Had a few tries of the VVS planes, La5 seems pretty fast. They all seem to fly pretty smoothly as well, although I got shot down every time by the 109 jockeys :| But there are some very good pilots flying those ruskie kites who know there stuff. Been caught out a few times on wrong end of a ShVAK :)
“The difference between ordinary and extraordinary is that little extra.”

Flyby
Leutnant
Leutnant

Post by Flyby » Fri Oct 17, 2014 12:28 am

I've found the turning experience with the Anton to be improved with my tweaking the pitch axis, and by using opposite rudder appropriately in tight turns. With the axis set right I'm closer to the right feel for hard pulling without quick-flips. So far so good. Somebody just keep an eye on me. Stupidity comes faster than I remember! :lol:
Flyby out
My Warrior creed:ACG; A good place to be.

Ape

Post by Ape » Fri Oct 17, 2014 1:25 am

Hey Guys,
first off I want to thank you guys for appreciating my opinion-summary video and for the kind words. It was just a quick video that I did and there will be one thats going to be more detailed.

If you guys are just now getting BoS, make sure to set the curves for pitch and roll to sth between 50 - 80 percent and the yaw sth like 40 percent (no deadzones of course). This makes the feeling and behavior of the planes alot more stable and controlable. If you dont do that the game will feel very twitchy and annoyingly "cheap"/ aiming and hitting a target will be a pure matter of luck. But if you set it up like i said it feels pretty similar to cliffs. Also a very important tip: Set everything up so you can set the prop pitch up manually and put it into fine position for the taxiing at the start. If you dont do that controlling the plane on the ground (talking mainly for the 109s) will be be a pain.

My favourite plane so far is the G2. Not as agile as the F4 but overall the better energy fighter, and since the design if the 109s improved with both the models compared to the E´s I am very pleased with the G and you also dont need to worry about the ata since you can fly at 100 percent throttle nearly forever without messing up the engine. The FockeWulf sucks imo and is no match for the G2 even when flown in the FW Style, just doesnt work very good ( I see it as an destroyer in this early variant)

Let me know whenever you want to fly BoS, especially in a big group, I will join the flight, and i am pretty sure some other guys from the 6.Staffel will, too.
Cu

Dave

Post by Dave » Fri Oct 17, 2014 1:40 am

Ape wrote:you also dont need to worry about the ata since you can fly at 100 percent throttle nearly forever without messing up the engine.
Ah. Might be worth me giving it another go then by the sounds of it. Lost count of the number of F-4s I've trashed by getting too throttle-happy.
Krass wrote:Had a few tries of the VVS planes, La5 seems pretty fast. They all seem to fly pretty smoothly as well, although I got shot down every time by the 109 jockeys :| But there are some very good pilots flying those ruskie kites who know there stuff. Been caught out a few times on wrong end of a ShVAK :)
I used to fly the mighty Yak-3 a lot back on Aces High 2, and although the Yak-1 is hardly the same beast I've probably clocked more hours on it than any of the other planes in the game currently. Fun little plane and very stable too (reminds me of another certain wooden plane I'm rather fond of, heheh), although you need plenty of trigger discipline. Russkies don't pack a lot of ammo.
Last edited by Dave on Fri Oct 17, 2014 1:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Flyby
Leutnant
Leutnant

Post by Flyby » Fri Oct 17, 2014 1:43 am

Hello Ape. Glad you dropped in. Thanks for the tips, and for bursting my Anton Bubble :( As for taxiing (the Anton) I've found I have an issue with controlling pitch manually. I don't know why. I'll keep at it, but in the meanwhile I've gotten used to taxiing a bit more quickly than in CLoD. Keeps me on my toes, but with a little practice I'm getting better.
Next Tuesday some of us here will be joining up at our normal campaign time. So if more want to join in, all the merrier. We will probably meet on the ACG/TS IL2_BoS room. If there are very many I suppose we should find ourselves migrating to one CLoD staffel room or two. We'll see.
Thank you for the video. I look forward to your next BoS appraisal/opinion/summary ;).
Flyby out

Krass

Post by Krass » Fri Oct 17, 2014 11:02 am

Thanks for the tips Ape. Will have to try those curves out on my stick and pedals. With the F4, I keep the ATA between 1.1-1.2 with a touch of 1.3 only if I need to get out fast. Engine will run fine like that for a full mission. I'm sure the G2 throttle is bugged in its last 3/4. Odd. And the nose down trim is less than the F4 and never quite levels the plane, so you end up having to slightly put forward pressure on the stick. Hmm. Ape is happy with it though, so I wonder if its just my settings?

Dave

Post by Dave » Fri Oct 17, 2014 6:21 pm

I don't think it's bugged. I vaguely recall reading something about its engine being a bit unstable so during the time period in which BoS takes place, the ATA was limited to what you get in the game by the factory. I'm sure someone who knows more about it will be able to shed more light on the issue.

Krass

Post by Krass » Fri Oct 17, 2014 6:56 pm

I know the G2 they are using in game has the early DB 605A de-rated engine, limiting it to 1.3 ata. What I meant was the last 1/4 of the throttle play seems 'jumpy' for want of a better word. Not sure if this is just me though, let me know what you think when you try it.

P.S. New update out tonight, a couple of the points stood out for me to test..

After 1 minute of working in extreme engine mode Bf 109 F-4 should be able to run in combat mode for 30 minutes;
After 3 minutes of working in extreme engine mode FW 190 A-3 should be able to run in combat mode for 30 minutes;
FW 190 A-3 climb rate was corrected according to the reference data;

Flyby
Leutnant
Leutnant

Post by Flyby » Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:10 pm

thanks Krass. Appreciate the heads-up. Won't mind the Anton climbing a bit more accurately to data (as long as it CLIMBS FASTER! :lol: Good looking-out.
Flyby out

Obermann

Post by Obermann » Sat Oct 18, 2014 2:41 am

I'd like to fly with you guys sometime in BoS, though I'm not home early enough during the week. That said hopefully I can catch you guys sometime, maybe on a weekend.

Also, I apologize for the thread derailment! :oops: I just didn't want to lurk indefinitely, and not show support for this. :D