Battle of Kuban

Mother Russia invaded by ACG!

Moderators: Board of Directors, Command

Sprite

Re: Battle of Kuban

Post by Sprite » Fri Sep 16, 2016 5:27 pm

Anyone have any good sources on the air battle of Kuban? Like a documentary or something. I'm not too familiar with it, does this involve the Romanian oil fields?

Sprite

Post by Sprite » Fri Sep 16, 2016 5:49 pm

after some light reading, I suspect the area will not quite be Sevestapol, but rather the area between the Taman peninsula and the Crimea. This is traditionally what is called the Battle of the Kuban. I found a photo showing the Soviet merchant marine losses during the battle:

It looks like it will indeed be a naval heavy campaign. Apparently 1/3 of all Russian merchant/cargo sunk in the black sea during ww2 occured in this area, called the "Kerch Gulf." I'll read up a bit on this and write up some more information about it when I find out more

Vranac

Post by Vranac » Fri Sep 16, 2016 6:16 pm

Maybe this would help.

http://war.by-airforce.com/articles/Kuban-1943.html

That what you found was latter when the Germans retreated.

And a little bit from Grislawski:
http://www.bergstrombooks.elknet.pl/gg/kuban.htm
Last edited by Vranac on Fri Sep 16, 2016 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sprite

Post by Sprite » Fri Sep 16, 2016 6:24 pm

okay, I see now. So the major cities involved will likely be Novorossiysk and Krymskaya. Thanks for the link

Dots

Post by Dots » Sat Sep 17, 2016 1:39 am

Kondor wrote:Dots, please explain me, as if I was a mentally impaired child, why do you hate PTO so much? Some open waters anxiety? Were you drowning at some point in your formative years?
Primarily because it was a side show.
As a rifleman I understand that the combat was fierce of course, but the Japanese as an empire were not an existential threat. They were, quite literally and appropriately the second tier priority for the allies because Germany was such a threat to the people of Europe.
The Japanese were a threat to the second and third world powers of the orient, but not to the major industrial nations of the world. The Germans were simply in another league. Like MLB vs AAA ball. It was simply a matter of time, where the Germans were only stopped by the worlds two major territorial empires, the British who guided by Churchill saved western civilization in 1940, and the soviets who started to roll them back after Stalingrad.
The Japanese? Not so much. Honestly I think it's disengenuous to even consider them in the same league as the Germans.

LuftAsher

Post by LuftAsher » Sat Sep 17, 2016 2:13 am

:popcorn:

Dots

Post by Dots » Sat Sep 17, 2016 2:37 am

LuftAsher wrote::popcorn:
And I'll raise that by mentioning that naval aircraft are utterly and totally boring to me.
And I have little regard for the navy. They are great for bringing the infantry its beans and bullets, but otherwise, as a grunt, I cared little if there was a naval task force hundreds of miles away. What really mattered to me were the army aviators in apaches and the Air Force A-10 pilots.

Nightrise

Post by Nightrise » Sat Sep 17, 2016 2:47 am

Dots wrote:
Kondor wrote:Dots, please explain me, as if I was a mentally impaired child, why do you hate PTO so much? Some open waters anxiety? Were you drowning at some point in your formative years?
As a rifleman I understand that the combat was fierce of course, but the Japanese as an empire were not an existential threat. They were, quite literally and appropriately the second tier priority for the allies because Germany was such a threat to the people of Europe.
The Japanese were a threat to the second and third world powers of the orient, but not to the major industrial nations of the world. The Germans were simply in another league. Like MLB vs AAA ball. It was simply a matter of time, where the Germans were only stopped by the worlds two major territorial empires, the British who guided by Churchill saved western civilization in 1940, and the soviets who started to roll them back after Stalingrad.
The Japanese? Not so much. Honestly I think it's disengenuous to even consider them in the same league as the Germans.
North Africa was also a side show; doesn't make it any less interesting.

Dots

Post by Dots » Sat Sep 17, 2016 3:28 am

Nightrise wrote:
Dots wrote:
North Africa was also a side show; doesn't make it any less interesting.
Ah but it wasn't. The Suez Canal and middle eastern oil were vital to the British empire and establishing bases in Northern Africa was a prelude to invasion of Italy giving the allies another front to crush the Reich from all sides.

Nightrise

Post by Nightrise » Sat Sep 17, 2016 9:33 pm

Which wouldn't have matted all that much had the Germans captured the oil fields in Baku and the rest of the caucuses.