Moderators: Board of Directors, Command

Orb
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer
Staff
contributor

Re: BoS VR

Post by Orb » Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:07 am

Speaking from personal experience as a VR user.... with all these potential new VR pilots, jumping on people's six is gonna become a whole lot easier :D

Donkey
Pilot Officer
Pilot Officer
Adjutant
Staff

Post by Donkey » Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:51 am

Orb wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:07 am
Speaking from personal experience as a VR user.... with all these potential new VR pilots, jumping on people's six is gonna become a whole lot easier :D
Oh I fully agree. I don't think any of our 2D pilots have any idea how hard it is to regularly and properly check 6 in VR.

Crane

Post by Crane » Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:57 am

Or in a real plane for that matter.

Jaydog
Hauptmann
Hauptmann
Staffelkapitan

Post by Jaydog » Wed Oct 07, 2020 1:51 pm

Donkey wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:51 am
Orb wrote:
Oh I fully agree. I don't think any of our 2D pilots have any idea how hard it is to regularly and properly check 6 in VR.
You ain't never lied. I hope they have strong necks

i9-9900k, 3.6 GHz, GeForce RTX 3090 FE, 64 GB RAM, 1 TB Samsung EVO SSD, 480 GB SSD, 1 TB SATA III Hard Drive, Windows 10, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro Joystick, Warthog Flight Stick, Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS HOTAS, Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals; MFG Crosswinds, VR: Oculus Rift S/ Reverb G2 / Pimax Crystal

Bunny

Post by Bunny » Thu Oct 08, 2020 11:31 am

Donkey wrote:
Orb wrote:
Swivel seat FTW (For The Where-is-the-fucker-on-my-six) :D

“It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes I-16s.” - Douglas Adams

Konaber

Post by Konaber » Thu Oct 08, 2020 12:00 pm

I guess in a Messer this problem is easily avoided: take the headrest :D

Kit Pepper
Leutnant
Leutnant
Adjutant
contributor

Post by Kit Pepper » Thu Oct 08, 2020 1:33 pm

Bunny wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 11:31 am
Donkey wrote:
Orb wrote:
Swivel seat FTW (For The Where-is-the-fucker-on-my-six) :D
No doubt, my neck has never been worked harder than it has with VR, and at my age I have to pop a few IB beforehand to dull the pain. But I'm gaining flexibility, and it's good for stretching.
Defiantly need a swivel chair, and one that tilts back for the up view too. To get a real clear view I have to take my feet off the rudders and turn my body 90'
But still, I get better SA with VR than I ever did with a flat screen.

Orb
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer
Staff
contributor

Post by Orb » Thu Oct 08, 2020 2:28 pm

A chair with solid armrests is also handy - grab them to pull yourself around.

Jonesy

Post by Jonesy » Thu Oct 08, 2020 6:39 pm

Having a swivel chair when using VR with stick and throttle attached is an absolute must in my opinion. I was looking at the monstertech mounts to attach to my chair but seeing the price i decided to have a crack at building my own. Here's the result. Built from bastardizing monitor brackets and other bits i had lying around. Built for the cost of roughly one monster tech mount and in my opinion better because they fold away.

Professional manchild

Nails

Post by Nails » Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:50 pm

Jonesy. I'm toying with a similar idea.

I want to use my old Hurricane (SpitSim) controller for IL2 Battles & Cliffs. But don't want my chair moving. So I have removed the casters and swapped them for the static "Office Caster Stops! (Amazon: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08 ... UTF8&psc=1)

With a VR Headset on, it doesn't really matter where your monitor is. As you will allways be looking ahead no matter where you sit. So, My SpitSim controller is off to one side (mainly to free space up in my cave). When I want to fly, I move my chair in front of my controller, and with the flat feet, the chair stays in position and does not roll about the floor. I still need a throttle quadrant, and if possible undercarriage lever and trim wheels to hand. So am in the planning stage at the minute.

I want to use my various controllers for different sims (Honeycombe for MSFS, Wing Wing for DCS, SpitSim for IL2), so I am probably making life difficult for myself! However, i can but try and see what works! SpitSim has its own rudders. For everything else, the X-Winds already under the desk.

Honeycomb Yoke (still in its box), not set up as waiting for the soon to be released Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Quadrant. This and the Yoke will be attached to the normal desk. So if flying MSFS2020 chair is moved to its normal position in front of the Desk. VR for MSFS was supposed to be released at the same time as the Reverb G2. But looks like this might be sometime in December, as the G2 pre-orders are supposedly shipping in early November.

Honeycombe setup will be on a bastardised quick release thingy-me-bob. The same as the URSA controller for Star Citizen. So these can be moved out of the way, depending on what I want to be doing.

I am in the queue for the Point CTRL v2 (https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=218861). Jury is out if this will eliminate having to use the mouse in the cockpit or not!