IL-2 BoX Buyers Guide and FAQ

Mother Russia invaded by ACG!

Moderators: Board of Directors, Command

LuftAsher

IL-2 BoX Buyers Guide and FAQ

Post by LuftAsher » Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:39 am

With ACG eyeing up a move to IL-2 BoX following the conclusion of the Battle of Britain, I'm sure that there will be many ACG members who are looking at picking up BoX, who might be understandably confused at how the module structure works, and what modules they should buy. This post is intended to give you a clear picture of what's on offer, how it all works together, and what you'll need to be ready to rock and roll once we switch.

What does 'BoX' mean?
This sim began life as IL-2 Sturmovik: Battle of Stalingrad and has since had two expansions released, these being Battle of Moscow and Battle of Kuban. BoX is a short, catch-all term that refers to 'Battle of X', rather than referring to a particular expansion.

The Modules:
At this time, there are three BoX modules. These are Battle of Stalingrad, Battle of Moscow, and Battle of Kuban, with Battle of Bodenplatte announced for pre-order just recently. Each module contains four aircraft per side, with an option for two extra 'collector' planes.

Battle of Stalingrad:
LaGG-3 Ser. 29
Yak-1 Ser. 69
IL-2 AM-38 (mod. 1942)
Pe-2 Ser. 87
La-5 Ser. 8 (Collector Aircraft)

Bf-109 F-4
Bf-109 G-2
Ju-87 D-3
He-111 H-6
Fw-190 A-3 (Collector Aircraft)

Battle of Moscow:
I-16 Type 24
MiG-3
IL-2 AM-38 (mod. 1941)
Pe-2 Ser. 35
P-40E-1 (Collector Aircraft)

Bf-109 E-7
Bf-109 F-2
Bf-110 E-2
Ju-88 A-4
MC.202 Ser. VIII (Collector Aircraft)

Battle of Kuban:
Yak-7b
P-39 L-1
IL-2 AM-38F (mod. 1943)
A-20B
Spitfire Mk.VB (Collector Aircraft)

Bf-109 G-4
Fw-190 A-5
Bf-110 G-2
He-111 H-16
Hs-129 B-2 (Collector Aircraft)

Battle of Bodenplatte - Pre-order:
P-51D
P-47D
Spitfire Mk.IX
Tempest Mk.V
P-38L (Collector Aircraft)

Bf-109 G-14
Bf-109 K-4
Fw-190 A-8
Me-262
Fw-190 D-9 (Collector Aircraft)

Additional Collector Aircraft:
Yak-1b
La-5 FN

Ju-52/3m
Bf-109 G-6

Battle of Blyat - Weird Russian Version of BoS:
LaGG-3 Ser. 29
Bf-109 F-4
Don't have a lot of information on this one, what I do know comes from Geordie who purchased it on GoG. This version gives you two aircraft from the start and requires you to unlock the rest through singleplayer grinding. Geordie also warned me that 1C may terminate non-Russian accounts using this version. Avoid purchasing BoX through third-party sites like GoG and other CD key resellers to avoid getting stuck with this version.

FAQ:

What are 'Collector Aircraft'?
Collector Aircraft are typically bundled with the 'premium' version of each module, but sometimes are just separate aircraft that serve as DLC of sorts. You don't need to buy the premium version of a module to get the Collector Aircraft, however. Once that module is out of early access, they can be purchased separately.

What does 'premium' mean?
The premium version of each module includes two Collector Aircraft (one per side) and allows early access to the module's content if you pre-order. 'Pre-order' is a sort of funny term in this case. These modules have a fairly long development cycle, during which only the premium version of the module is available for pre-order. This grants you early access which allows you to use the new content as it is added. Once the entire package is complete and released, the standard edition is available to all.

Do I still need to grind XP to unlock aircraft mods and paintschemes?
Thank god no. This was changed a couple of years ago. Previously you had to grind XP in a singleplayer campaign in order to unlock things like bombs and rockets, even removing your headrest, and of course aircraft paintschemes, before you could use them anywhere else. This was changed to a situation where owners of the premium version had an 'Unlock All' button, and this was then changed to a situation where no one has to unlock anything. You will have instant access to every modification and paintscheme for every aircraft that you own, even on the standard edition.

How does all of this work together?
These modules are part of the IL-2 Great Battles series. The first module that you buy (whether that's Battle of Stalingrad, Moscow or Kuban) will serve as a base platform for all content that you buy thereafter. Upon launching BoX for the first time, you will be asked to create an account on the IL-2 website and activate your code for the module you bought. From this point on, all BoX content you purchase will be linked to this account which you will log into every time you play. For example, the first one I purchased was Battle of Stalingrad. I launch this via Steam and have access to all other content linked to my account (BoM, BoK, several collector aircraft). Please note: If you wish to buy Battle of Moscow only, you will need to do this on 1C's website. You cannot purchase Battle of Moscow on Steam without first owning Battle of Stalingrad.

What about content I don't own?
Even if you don't own some aircraft, you can still fly against them, and even man the gunner positions on those that have them. You also do not need to own a map to fly on that map in multiplayer. If you only own Battle of Stalingrad, you could go online and fly the Kuban map no problem, provided the mission includes aircraft from the Battle of Stalingrad planeset (most multiplayer servers have aircraft from each planeset available, so it's very unlikely you'll be excluded for not owning something).

So which one should I buy for the ACG move?
The first campaign we're looking at is planned to be Operation Barbarossa, meaning that the early-war planeset provided by Battle of Moscow is what you're looking for. If you can only afford (or only want) to get one module right now, this is likely to be the one you want. However, we have been and will continue to run regular BoX events that use aircraft from all modules, and while we do make an effort to provide the most inclusive aircraft set possible for these events, you may find yourself with very limited choices if you only own one module.

See https://il2sturmovik.com/ for more information.

--

Please don't hesitate to reply in this thread if you have any more questions, I'll be more than happy to help you out.

Kildren

Re: IL-2 BoX Buyers Guide and FAQ

Post by Kildren » Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:13 am

+1 but you forgot to mention the la5fn and g6 + you also forgot to mention the Russian version of the game that some silly bugger *cough* Geordie *cough* brought

Speak to me about joining the ACG Pilots Union

LuftAsher

Post by LuftAsher » Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:23 am

Kildren wrote:+1 but you forgot to mention the la5fn and g6 + you also forgot to mention the Russian version of the game that some silly bugger *cough* Geordie *cough* brought
Oh shit you right. I need more info on the shady as fuck Russian version Geordie bought tho.

Von Archie

Post by Von Archie » Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:01 am

Basically, don't be Geordie.

Good post Luft. With the sale and the improvements coming with Kuban in the next couple of weeks this is the perfect time to buy in.
i5 4690k / MSI Gaming 5 / 2 x 8 GB Crucial Ballistix ram / Zotac AMP! 980Ti / 2 x 250 SSDs
VPC MongoosT-50 joystick / MFG Crosswind pedals / GVL 109/111 Throttle / Oculus Rift

Bunny

Post by Bunny » Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:29 am

Thanks Luft, really helpful :nice:

I see done of the aircraft from BoS work in BoM and vice versa, but are the Kuban aircraft stuck with that map?

“It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes I-16s.” - Douglas Adams

Von Archie

Post by Von Archie » Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:33 am

Should be able to fly anything over any map Bunny.
i5 4690k / MSI Gaming 5 / 2 x 8 GB Crucial Ballistix ram / Zotac AMP! 980Ti / 2 x 250 SSDs
VPC MongoosT-50 joystick / MFG Crosswind pedals / GVL 109/111 Throttle / Oculus Rift

StG77_CountZero

Post by StG77_CountZero » Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:48 am

Nice overview, and yes you can fly over any maps online no mather if you only have BoM or BoS or BoK, mission on server just has to have atleast one airplane you have available, and airplanes from BoS are usealy available on every map even on historical servers

Jammy

Post by Jammy » Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:56 am

Just to be clear, in order to play Barbarossa will I need to own BoM or will BoS suffice?
I do like to shoot down planes yes I do

LuftAsher

Post by LuftAsher » Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:02 am

Jammy wrote:Just to be clear, in order to play Barbarossa will I need to own BoM or will BoS suffice?
BoM is what you want for Barbarossa.

Peete
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer

Post by Peete » Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:07 am

So it's today the 18th I go and buy on steam IL 2 box is that the name.?