Moderators: Board of Directors, Command

Donkey
Pilot Officer
Pilot Officer
Adjutant
Staff

Re: BoX Survival

Post by Donkey » Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:28 pm

Kildren wrote:So if we crash deep behind enemy lines lets say i crash 40 km the closer i get to the front line the more likely i am to be captured? pretty neat
Exactly. The longer you walk, the less likely you are to survive / evade capture. Capture is more volatile inasmuch that it depends on enemy unit density and ambient light, so you're probability of being captured changes at each check as you move closer / further from enemies, but survival chance is constant.from step to step. So to get home we need to both survive and not be captured, and then survive and not be captured at the next check, and then survive and not be captured at the following check etc...all the while moving closer to the front line. And as we all know from probability theory, when you "and" probabilities you multiply them (i.e. you have a 1 in 6 chance of rolling a 6 on a dice, but only a 1 in 36 chance of rolling a 6 followed by another 6). So yes, the further away you end up, the more likelihood you have of meeting either an MIA or Captured end state.

LuftAsher

Post by LuftAsher » Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:45 pm

Does the system factor in the position of friendly units as well? IIRC Hartmann happened upon a Waffen SS unit by chance while trying to return to to friendly lines and stayed with them for the night, then they helped him back to friendly lines the next day.

Donkey
Pilot Officer
Pilot Officer
Adjutant
Staff

Post by Donkey » Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:25 pm

LuftAsher wrote:Does the system factor in the position of friendly units as well? IIRC Hartmann happened upon a Waffen SS unit by chance while trying to return to to friendly lines and stayed with them for the night, then they helped him back to friendly lines the next day.
No. If it did I would have said so :D :D

What I could do, if we all think it's a good idea, is add the following:

For each friendly ground unit last seen behind enemy lines (remember it's last seen as opposed to real position, one of the limitaitons of using the logs :( ), then if the player is within 1(? - We'll make it configurable)km of any of those units then we can consider them rescued?

Thaine

Post by Thaine » Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:58 pm

Great stuff Donkey,

Now I just have to figure out what to do with them once they are dead and captured. Because the system we have now is not doing it's job. I'm still struggling with this. POW and KIA/MIA are still to similar.
Fractal Design Define R6 / Gigabyte Z390 AORUS MASTER / Intel i9-9900K / 32 GB RAM / NVIDIA GeForce GTX2080Ti / WD Black SN750 / Corsair Hydro H100i RGB Platinum / Corsair RM850x / WINDOWS 10 / LG 42LE5300 / TrackIR / HP Reverb G2 / Saitek AV8R-MK3 / Saitek ProFlight Throttle Quadrant / Saitek ProFlight Rudder Paddels / Saitek ProFlight Cessna Trim Wheel

Von Archie

Post by Von Archie » Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:16 pm

Why not just mark them MIA Thaine? Some pilots are still marked as that even today...
i5 4690k / MSI Gaming 5 / 2 x 8 GB Crucial Ballistix ram / Zotac AMP! 980Ti / 2 x 250 SSDs
VPC MongoosT-50 joystick / MFG Crosswind pedals / GVL 109/111 Throttle / Oculus Rift

Broadsword

Post by Broadsword » Mon Apr 02, 2018 6:04 pm

Thaine wrote:Now I just have to figure out what to do with them once they are dead and captured. Because the system we have now is not doing it's job. I'm still struggling with this. POW and KIA/MIA are still to similar.
If you're referring to people's tendency to unrealistically risk death in order to avoid PoW status in our BoB campaign, I wonder if the problem might naturally solve itself once we move to the Easter Front.

With no Channel to cross it seems a lot more reasonable for people to try and get as close to their own lines as possible before ditching. And as I understand it the treatment of PoWs (or at the very least the reported/expected treatment of PoWs) on this front was bad enough that any effort to avoid capture seems a lot more reasonable. Adding these factors together I think ACG pilots tendency to view 'PoW' and 'dead' as the same result might be viewed as acceptably close to the historic reality in this theatre?
I must go up to the skies again, to the peace of silent flight, To the gull’s way, and the hawk’s way, and the free wings’ delight;
And all I ask is a friendly joke with a laughing fellow rover, And a large beer, and a deep sleep, when the long flight’s over.

Kai Lae

Post by Kai Lae » Mon Apr 02, 2018 6:09 pm

Actually since in BoB where you get hit controls your fate to an enormous extent, I think you’ll find the lack of the channel and everything being a lot closer will probably make people behave differently.

Thaine

Post by Thaine » Mon Apr 02, 2018 6:12 pm

It causes pilots to take more risk because lost is lost. I would like to have a clear tendency of pilots to try to survive, even as POW.
Fractal Design Define R6 / Gigabyte Z390 AORUS MASTER / Intel i9-9900K / 32 GB RAM / NVIDIA GeForce GTX2080Ti / WD Black SN750 / Corsair Hydro H100i RGB Platinum / Corsair RM850x / WINDOWS 10 / LG 42LE5300 / TrackIR / HP Reverb G2 / Saitek AV8R-MK3 / Saitek ProFlight Throttle Quadrant / Saitek ProFlight Rudder Paddels / Saitek ProFlight Cessna Trim Wheel

Thaine

Post by Thaine » Mon Apr 02, 2018 6:13 pm

Broadsword wrote:
Thaine wrote:Now I just have to figure out what to do with them once they are dead and captured. Because the system we have now is not doing it's job. I'm still struggling with this. POW and KIA/MIA are still to similar.
If you're referring to people's tendency to unrealistically risk death in order to avoid PoW status in our BoB campaign, I wonder if the problem might naturally solve itself once we move to the Easter Front.

With no Channel to cross it seems a lot more reasonable for people to try and get as close to their own lines as possible before ditching. And as I understand it the treatment of PoWs (or at the very least the reported/expected treatment of PoWs) on this front was bad enough that any effort to avoid capture seems a lot more reasonable. Adding these factors together I think ACG pilots tendency to view 'PoW' and 'dead' as the same result might be viewed as acceptably close to the historic reality in this theatre?
I had the same thoughts, and I agree that the eastern front will not have the same problematic as the BoB. But we'll move to another theater after the eastern front eventually. So this needs fixing eventually.

Broadsword

Post by Broadsword » Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:31 pm

Good point. No bright ideas I'm afraid...
I must go up to the skies again, to the peace of silent flight, To the gull’s way, and the hawk’s way, and the free wings’ delight;
And all I ask is a friendly joke with a laughing fellow rover, And a large beer, and a deep sleep, when the long flight’s over.