ACG Board
contributor

Re: Machine gun damage to wing structure

Post by Dickie » Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:59 am

My money is on a thread lock and summary bans :lol:

Kai Lae

Post by Kai Lae » Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:50 pm

Geordie wrote:A Survey sim is a Sim which simulates more than one thing.

For example, DCS is more of a high fidelity sim because you pay for aircraft on an individual basis and each aircraft has it's own physics and flight model that are for that aircraft and that aircraft only. There have been 100's of hours placed into one aircraft and that is all the developer focuses on.

CloD and BoX on the other hand, are classed as a survey sim because they are simulating many aircraft. Although each will have it's own flight and damage model, it's never going to be as detailed as the likes of DCS because the Dev's can not put the 100's of hours dev time into each aircraft, their focus is the engine it's self, not the aircraft.
This isn't to say that survey sims are shit, that's far form the truth. It's just that you're going to see copy pasting of physics for aircraft such as flight and damage models. It's never going to be as solid as a high fidelity simulation. It's never going to be 100% correct (but what simulation is).
The funny thing about this is DCSs damage model is cartoonish compared to the other 2.

StG77_CountZero

Post by StG77_CountZero » Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:30 pm

In Box all guns seam to effective to me, and i remenber complains about effectivnes of guns or to low helth of parts was raised few times since start of box, and devs opinion was that in real, airplanes fell apart fast, unlike in games we used to play until box, so thats why it all seamed to effective in box, as they try to keep it real.

Yes DCS dm when bullets hit airplanes is on low level compared to Clod or BoX.

Shadepiece

Post by Shadepiece » Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:03 pm

I hope this gets traction Onebad. Damage models have always been my favorite part of these sims. To have the one in BoX improved would be a dream honestly.

Toxic

Post by Toxic » Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:03 pm

I don't see what is wrong with this video

Spectre

Post by Spectre » Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:35 pm

The firepower of which a 7.92mm machine gun can inflict is overly exaggerated, since it should be almost impossible to completely separate a wing with the amount of rounds fired into the aircraft. The damage model has way too many instances of defaulting the damage taken and ripping the wing off and it shows in this test by solely using the MG17 to take out the aircraft. Many people believe the system uses a healthbar system and once it hits zero just separates the wing, which isn't a good system and should be improved.
"On the edge of destiny, you must test your strength"
- Air Marshal Billy Bishop

Toxic

Post by Toxic » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:32 pm

7.92mm is pretty powerful... compared to aircraft wings.........

Smokejumper

Post by Smokejumper » Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:41 pm

I've seen similar calibre rounds punch through plate steel and embed into old mining equipment. Aluminium and wooden skins/spars are not bulletproof.

I don't think BoX DM is very good but I don't see a huge issue in your video. You shot it a lot.

The aircraft you shot at had has wood skin and spar saturated with an early plastic similar to bakelite. It becomes like fibreglass and I suspect would shatter.
Spectre wrote:The firepower of which a 7.92mm machine gun can inflict is overly exaggerated, since it should be almost impossible to completely separate a wing with the amount of rounds fired into the aircraft. The damage model has way too many instances of defaulting the damage taken and ripping the wing off and it shows in this test by solely using the MG17 to take out the aircraft. Many people believe the system uses a healthbar system and once it hits zero just separates the wing, which isn't a good system and should be improved.
I suspect healthbar too.

Onebad

Post by Onebad » Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:08 am

Smokejumper wrote:I've seen similar calibre rounds punch through plate steel and embed into old mining equipment. Aluminium and wooden skins/spars are not bulletproof.

I don't think BoX DM is very good but I don't see a huge issue in your video. You shot it a lot.

The aircraft you shot at had has wood skin and spar saturated with an early plastic similar to bakelite. It becomes like fibreglass and I suspect would shatter.
Spectre wrote:The firepower of which a 7.92mm machine gun can inflict is overly exaggerated, since it should be almost impossible to completely separate a wing with the amount of rounds fired into the aircraft. The damage model has way too many instances of defaulting the damage taken and ripping the wing off and it shows in this test by solely using the MG17 to take out the aircraft. Many people believe the system uses a healthbar system and once it hits zero just separates the wing, which isn't a good system and should be improved.
I suspect healthbar too.
There is an Il-2 that I shot in the video that falls apart due to machine gun damage, despite being pretty much MG resistant (it was one of the main requirement during the development phase). Also, I didn't shoot it a lot. I fired lots of rounds, but only few of them landed as you can see in the tac view. In few cases only several hits registered. If what you say was true, a Hurri burst in Cliffs would be dewinging planes left and right. Also, there is no historical reference that brings up a case of dewinging due to MG damage.

It is certainly possible, but the amount of hits required to cause this amount of structural damage would be much, much higher than what the clips show.

Von Archie

Post by Von Archie » Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:20 am

Is it possible that the wing coming off is just a way of simplifying the visual DM, as in there could be all sorts of unseen serious damage going on that could down a plane IRL but the DM is not sophisticated enough to model it?
i5 4690k / MSI Gaming 5 / 2 x 8 GB Crucial Ballistix ram / Zotac AMP! 980Ti / 2 x 250 SSDs
VPC MongoosT-50 joystick / MFG Crosswind pedals / GVL 109/111 Throttle / Oculus Rift