VVS skinning in progress

Mother Russia invaded by ACG!

Moderators: Board of Directors, Command

Trystan

Re: VVS skinning in progress - Question

Post by Trystan » Tue May 22, 2018 2:30 pm

Woop wrote:Made a new version:
Nice! :nice: Although the number would be on the vertical stabilizer, not the moving rudder surface.

Also, if you want some variation, besides what Secu pointed out about the color on the different surfaces, the green paint they used darkened with age so you could have some lighter and some darker to denote new manufacture and veterans.

:salute:
Trystan
ASUS Z97 / Intel i7-4790K@4.2 GHz / 64 GB RAM / NVIDIA GeForce GTX1080Ti 11GB / WINDOWS 10 64-bit / 3 x 27" Monitors / Oculus Rift / Thrustmaster 16000m / Thrustmaster FCS Throttle Quadrant / Saitek Pro Flight Combat Rudder Pedals

Woop

Post by Woop » Tue May 22, 2018 2:34 pm

Trystan wrote:
Woop wrote:Made a new version:
Nice! :nice: Although the number would be on the vertical stabilizer, not the moving rudder surface.

Also, if you want some variation, besides what Secu pointed out about the color on the different surfaces, the green paint they used darkened with age so you could have some lighter and some darker to denote new manufacture and veterans.

Trystan
What a wealth of information this community has! Wonderful!

Thanks for the information!! What about the double digit numbers though? Would they be limited to the vertical stabilizer if they were that large or would they be smaller in order to fit? I have seen pictures of planes with large numbers (one digit on the rudder and one on the vert stabilizer) and all manner of other things.

Example:
https://imgur.com/8IGqOYE

How do we know which one is the correct one for the squadron in the time period we are looking at?

Regards

Trystan

Post by Trystan » Tue May 22, 2018 3:10 pm

Honestly, there wasn't any set standard; it was up to unit commanders how the regiment's aircraft were marked. So different regiments, different standards :)

The factory would randomly put patriotic slogans on the aircraft, so you might want to do that to 1 or 2 in your Eskadrilya...

I've focused on 27 IAP since that is our unit, but have run across several examples. 34 IAP is hard to find materials for; they were decimated at the start of Barbarossa. All I know for sure is that the aircraft were fundamentally green and the only 2 pictures I have found, that I trust the authenticity, have no tail star. Other than that, I'd say work it out with your CO and Shadepiece...
ASUS Z97 / Intel i7-4790K@4.2 GHz / 64 GB RAM / NVIDIA GeForce GTX1080Ti 11GB / WINDOWS 10 64-bit / 3 x 27" Monitors / Oculus Rift / Thrustmaster 16000m / Thrustmaster FCS Throttle Quadrant / Saitek Pro Flight Combat Rudder Pedals

Shadepiece

Post by Shadepiece » Tue May 22, 2018 3:27 pm

Looking like you're making good progress there Woop. Show me what you've got once your all set.

Woop

Post by Woop » Tue May 22, 2018 3:45 pm

I'll post the variants I've made once I've gathered them all.
As of now I have:
standard, red, blue, yellow and white spinners
large white, yellow, red and blue numbers on the vertical stabilizer and rudder (one digit on each as shown in my previous post)
small white, yellow, red and blue numbers on the vertical stabilizer
small white, yellow, red and blue numbers on the rudder

My personal preference would lean towards the white large white numbers and a white spinner. It's of course up to you Shade, the CO and the squadron as a whole.

Thanks again for the info Trystan. Most valuable!

Miek

Post by Miek » Tue May 22, 2018 5:36 pm

Looking amazing Woop! I recently found this site ... i can't verify how accurate it is, but its a wealth of markings. Couldn't find 34 specifically, though I maybe missed it.

http://www.wio.ru/simbols/sov-en.htm

Trystan

Post by Trystan » Tue May 22, 2018 7:53 pm

Miek wrote:Looking amazing Woop! I recently found this site ... i can't verify how accurate it is, but its a wealth of markings. Couldn't find 34 specifically, though I maybe missed it.

http://www.wio.ru/simbols/sov-en.htm
It's a great site Miek! The markings are from 1943, however, after the Soviets had gotten their act together and were a little more standardized. The markings in Autumn 1941 were nowhere near that well thought out and complex. In many cases the pilots were getting the aircraft directly from the trains delivering them from the factory, supervising their re-assembly, and then taking them straight back to their base. In some cases I've found they refueled as soon as they landed and launched on a sortie. The trip from the assembly was was the test flight. What a way to run a war...

Trystan

Trystan

Post by Trystan » Tue May 22, 2018 7:58 pm

Woop wrote:I'll post the variants I've made once I've gathered them all.
As of now I have:
large white, yellow, red and blue numbers on the vertical stabilizer and rudder (one digit on each as shown in my previous post)

My personal preference would lean towards the white large white numbers and a white spinner. It's of course up to you Shade, the CO and the squadron as a whole.

Thanks again for the info Trystan. Most valuable!
FWIW, spinner color was used to denote the Eskadrilya, although not universally. Red was Esk. 1, Blue (Russian blue which is a sky blue similar to #87ceeb) for Esk. 2, etc. I think White was Esk. 3, but I don't have my references at work...

Trystan

Woop

Post by Woop » Tue May 22, 2018 11:57 pm

Right! Here's what I have (with the wonderful help of Secu):

1 factory new plain green paintscheme and 2 darker ones

2 types of camo pattern (black and dark green)

Black Nose

Winter paintschemes

Russian Guard Emblem

Prototype:

Download here:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/9sizlw80958qf ... c.dds?dl=0

As Trystan says, white would be used for Esk. 3, so the lettering would also probably have to be white (I imagine). It remains to be chosen, how large the tail numbers are going to be. Please let me know Shade, so that I can ask the chaps in 615 what numbers they'd prefer so that I can start making the rest of the skins.

o7

Shadepiece

Re: VVS skinning in progress

Post by Shadepiece » Wed May 23, 2018 2:52 pm

Looks absolutely incredible! Great work. Do you have a reference anywhere to the large tail numbers? Even if you don't, I think it's unique which is a good way to get your unit to stand out a bit, so reference or not as long as Trys is okay with it I give the okay. The skins are supposed to be authentic and not necessarily exact copies anyhow.

Still I would like to see a reference if you have one though, even if it wasn't a 34 IAP bird.