JG1 Sends an Open Invite to ACG for Jet Training!

Dedicated to getting the WWII DCS airbourne

Moderators: Board of Directors, Command

Shadepiece

JG1 Sends an Open Invite to ACG for Jet Training!

Post by Shadepiece » Mon Mar 07, 2022 9:17 pm

I have a good standing relationship with the JG1 guys. They are the third oldest virtual pilot squadron, and have been around since the 90's starting in Red Baron 3D. Yesterday, I had a conversation with Klaiber, their leader, about some training items that I would like to incorporate into my Tuesday trainings with ACG, and I want to inform ACG that JG1 has extended an offer to us to join them in any of their DCS events, and that we are welcome to train with them in jets if there is any interest. They train on Wednesday and Friday nights at 9pm EST. Please, post here or message me if you are at all interested!

This is not a new offer, as JG1 has always extended these offers to ACG to participate in their open events and training, and if you search our forums you will see Klaiber's posts about exactly that. To my knowledge I do not believe ACG has gotten a group together for one of those events, but we have done so for things like Storm of War and TAW campaigns in the past, so I wanted to post this here to remind everyone that these events are unbelievably awesome and open to us.

Now feel free to not read the rest of this post as I am going to ramble a bit.

A few years ago I joined JG1 to do WWI events with their squadron. I had tried to get an ACG group together to participate in JG1's Flanders in Flames tournament in Rise of Flight, but after little to no interest I joined JG1 to participate in WWI events with them since I did not have a squad to fly with. I have a cool video from that event here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WA7zALX1CFE

When I joined JG1, I had to go through an evaluation flight with Klaiber to gauge my level of competency, and I remember this experience very fondly. I went into that eval thinking that after two years in ACG's notorious 7th Staffel I was well beyond the simple tasks I was asked to demonstrate, and boy was I wrong!! Klaiber had given me some really awesome information during that flight that I have incorporated into my flying ever since. I left JG1 due to some real life circumstances that eventually led me to even step away from ACG for a few months in 2020. I love flying with ACG and I loved flying with JG1 and I always maintained some level of contact with them.

Recently, I have been getting into flight sims more seriously again, and I am happy to report that the personal circumstances that lead me away from the hobby in 2020 have been largely resolved. This is why recently I have been trying to be more involved with training for the RAF guys on Tuesday evenings, and even more training with 610 when possible. I think the training has really helped 610 become a much more formidable opponent in campaign, and I am now looking for ways to expand my training.

Klaiber's eval flight came to mind while I was brainstorming topics, and I remembered how humbled I was during that canvas winged flight. I decided to reach out and have a conversation with him yesterday, and we spoke about some approaches to training and things I could incorporate. I have to admit, I have been bitten by the jet bug, and I find myself flying jets more and more recently. In fact, my first real experience with jets was at Klaiber's wing in a MiG-21!

So my point in writing all of this is to say that I am very grateful for the time, training, and experiences JG1 and Klaiber have given me, and to say that I will be doing some training with JG1 in jets, rather than canvas birds this time, in the coming weeks. If anyone from ACG is interested in jets and is free to do so, I encourage them to join me, and JG1, in doing some serious and focused training.

If you are interested you can post here, or send me a private message for more information, and if jets are not your thing I still encourage you to join me on Tuesday's for RAF training as I will be incorporating some of the things I am learning from JG1 into my training curriculum.

Shadepiece

Re: JG1 Sends an Open Invite to ACG for Jet Training!

Post by Shadepiece » Mon Mar 21, 2022 4:58 am

I participated in this past weekend's Korea Gunfighter's event hosted on the MVP server. There were no defined objectives, but JG1 approached the event in a very organized way. Despite being outnumbered by Sabres on the server we were able to make engagements where we outnumbered the enemy in our immediate dogfights and were quite successful.

I hope to incorporate some of these concepts into my training criteria with 610 as we head to higher altitudes in the P-51! If you are interested in joining JG1 for a Korea era event. Please, post here or PM me!