EDGE aka DCS 2.0 [megathread]

Dedicated to getting the WWII DCS airbourne

Moderators: Board of Directors, Command

Johnny

Re: EDGE aka DCS 2.0 [megathread]

Post by Johnny » Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:53 pm

Any new news on the normandy map and the Spitty?

Redeye

Post by Redeye » Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:10 pm

Nope.

Maltloaf
Location: Salisbury Plain, birthplace of British military aviation.

Post by Maltloaf » Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:26 pm

Good grief
"I have never once lost my gratitude for those who were the sentinels and held the line between tyranny and civilisation"

Redeye

Post by Redeye » Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:29 pm

Well, "news" depends on how updated one is. They are working on the Spit and it is high priority. Development of the Normandy map proceeds "at a rapid pace" when the last update was given some two months ago. "Several AI aircraft including bombers" are also underway.

Given that no preorders are up, and that these usually surface over two months before release, it is safest to keep oneself busy doing other things for a while;)

Bonkin

Post by Bonkin » Sat Sep 17, 2016 10:25 am

Thinking of getting the Nevada map... but is there any guidance on how to install it? The DCS website is a little confusing because it says it needs DCS World 2.0 but when you look at that link it says it needs the NTTR. So which do I download and install first?

Falcon

Post by Falcon » Sat Sep 17, 2016 12:24 pm

Currently you can have three different DCS installations. 1.5 stable and open beta with the Caucasus map. Or 2.0 open alpha being the Nevada map. As such each one can be installed on its own but when it comes to updating files might be copied between the different installation folders instead of being downloaded. Hope it helped
Turn like the devil, shoot straight from the sun
Climb like a monkey out of hell where I belong

Goat

Post by Goat » Sat Sep 17, 2016 5:18 pm

Fuck... It looks like a lot of stuff is on sale too... There goes $150...

Bonkin

Post by Bonkin » Sat Sep 17, 2016 8:47 pm

Just bought and downloaded it.

Redeye

Post by Redeye » Sat Sep 17, 2016 10:34 pm

What do you fly Bonkin? :)

Bonkin

Post by Bonkin » Sun Sep 18, 2016 10:43 am

I don't really. Every time a sale comes up I end up getting tempted and I buy something... thinking that one day I'll have the time to learn and fly them. When I've flown the P-51 it just seems more realistic and like flying than any other flight sim I've flown. I love the attention to details as well - like the way the standard 6 instrument panel being shock mounted is clearly visible, e.g. the panel moves as it should do. They didn't do that in CLoD.

I've seen a number of really professional DCS video's around and I think the NTTR looks amazing. What I'd like to do is to get more familiar with DCS, including camera controls and track recording for filming etc. When the Normandy map, Spitfire and Jug come out I think it would be good to make a small film. Also, it has been suggested that we do a virtual Air Show event/video... and I did wonder whether DCS would be a better choice for this over CLoD.

Graphically, although the aircraft look great, I think the DCS environment is lacking somewhat. Explosions look fake for example... I'm hoping they make improvements in these areas for DCS 2.0. I've not tried the NTTR yet but I have downloaded and installed it.