Chopper advice

Dedicated to getting the WWII DCS airbourne

Moderators: Board of Directors, Command

Boyezee

Chopper advice

Post by Boyezee » Fri Oct 28, 2016 10:58 pm

I'm tempted to grab a helicopter in the DCS sale, I already have the Ka-50 but it doesn't really interest me that much but I do like the look of the Huey or Gazelle, so which one would be best to go with?

Falcon

Re: Chopper advice

Post by Falcon » Fri Oct 28, 2016 11:26 pm

The answer everyone likes so much: depends.

The Huey is fun to fly and propably is the 'purest' to fly with no SAS/ autopilot whatsoever in it. It's still hard work for me getting it into a hover like flight state. It ships with a nice campaign with both gunship and slick missions. And that's basically what you can do with it. I believe it can life up to it's full extend should DCS ever get a proper transport system without using scripts. So if you just want to fly choppers that's one way to go.

Gazelle is more manouverable but slower and has a SAS. It's way more stable than the Huey, yet is more sensitive to control inputs with both at linear axis setup. If you have a look on it's section on the ED forums there's some complaints about errors in the FM - but I enjoy flying it since I can't compare it to anything else than other sims. Also has an amazing campaign included and ships with actually three versions: HOT (AT missiles), gun/rocket, mistral (IR anti air) and also has already multicrew.

Make you're pick. Either way I'd show you what I know about these birds ;)
Turn like the devil, shoot straight from the sun
Climb like a monkey out of hell where I belong

Boyezee

Post by Boyezee » Mon Oct 31, 2016 11:25 pm

Thanks Falcon, I went with the Huey in the end, it sounds like a good module to start learning Helicopters

Robo

Post by Robo » Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:18 pm

Boyezee wrote:Thanks Falcon, I went with the Huey in the end, it sounds like a good module to start learning Helicopters
I second that. Bought the Huey last year thinking I can fly flight sims. :salute:

It was great fun and it helped me personally a lot to understand choppers. Very frustrating in the beginning though :D I read Chickenhawk while learning to control the damn thing. Can't compare with the Gazelle, but the Mi-8 is also very nice :nice: Very different though.

Dave

Post by Dave » Tue Nov 01, 2016 11:44 pm

Based on what a real helicopter pilot told me: The Huey is probably the best chopper sim available, but the Gazelle is unfortunately quite inaccurate in its current state. That was a while ago mind you so it might have improved since then. But either way you can't go wrong with the Huey. :)

Vukac
Flight Sergeant
Flight Sergeant

Post by Vukac » Wed Nov 02, 2016 1:54 pm

Huey and Mi-8 is very nice. Very realistic :salute:
"Ideals are peaceful. History is violent."

Toxic

Post by Toxic » Thu Nov 03, 2016 7:13 am

I love the Huey... but I am in LOVE with the Mi-8 the Mi-8 just has raw power to it. I probably have around 400 hours in the Mi-8 a lone. I which they would add different variants of the Mi-8, like doorgunners etc... but you cannot go wrong with the huey either. Belsimtek make amazing addons for DCS. You cannot go wrong! :nice:

Zalzam

Post by Zalzam » Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:54 pm

Gazelle :)

Boyezee

Post by Boyezee » Thu Nov 03, 2016 11:45 pm

Tried the Huey for the first time and it is a lot of fun to fly.

Landings are tricky though :shock:

Javelina

Post by Javelina » Sat Nov 05, 2016 11:58 pm

Boyezee,

congrats on the Huey. Stick with it, she can be a bit to handle at first, but with practice you'll get it down. If there's one Mod I can recommend for the Huey, it's Skullz sound mod. It is a must!! Sound is so immersive, and Skullz has got this one down. Add it and you'll love it. Especially when the Huey blades are under real load. That "Whop, Whop, Whop..." really comes out! That is the Huey signature.... :nice:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php? ... +sound+mod

A while back, I picked up the Jet Seat KW-908. Flying any Chopper with that is incredible.

good luck with your flight training! :-)

-Jav
Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra, i7-9700k (4.9ghz all cores), NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL-14 3200mhz RAM, RTX3090FE, Soundblaster Z, Yamaha 5.1 A/V, 2x 512GB Samsung NVMe, 1x 1TB Samsung NVMe, Win 10 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, JetSeat KW-908, Reverb G2, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Full Tower Case, EVGA 850P2 PSU, PointCTRL