DCS sale on now

Dedicated to getting the WWII DCS airbourne

Moderators: Board of Directors, Command

Onebad

Re: DCS sale on now

Post by Onebad » Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:29 pm

Mezza wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:52 am
so from scratch i have no DCS modules whats good to get, ive been looking at the AV8B and the NTTR with maybe the Hawk or FC3 but ive no clue whats worth getting.
If you have no experience with jets whatsoever then I cannot recommend the F-5 Tiger enough. Of all full fidelity modules out there it's simple enough to make for a great starter jet.
NTTR isn't worth getting I don't think since multiplayer servers mostly run either Caucasus (the one you get for free) or the Persian Gulf.

If you don't think that you need to start your jet adventure with something easier like the F-5 and you want to just dive straight in then just get whatever you like, be it a Harrier or anything else really.

Boyezee

Post by Boyezee » Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:53 pm

Agree with Onebad, the F-5 is still one of my favourite modules. I would add that FC3 is worth it as well, good entry in to jets.

I'm tempted by the Harrier myself, thinking about picking it up.

Avoid the Hawk, that thing has been a mess for years and I don't think it is sorted out yet.

IronJockel

Post by IronJockel » Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:28 pm

Flyby wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:31 pm
I saw a video of a Dora dogfighting a Hornet. So much for immersive game play.
Flyby out
? I can fight an I16 in a G14 in BoX. So much for immersion.
You know that this optional as entirely up to the players choise to do this.
I had been telling Hitler for over a year, since my first flight in an Me-262, that only Focke Wulf Fw-190 fighter production should continue in conventional aircraft, to discontinue the Me-109, which was outdated, and to focus on building a massive jet-fighter force. - Galland
Any idiot could fly a Spitfire, but it took a lot of training to fly a 109. - Gerald Stapleton

Mezza

Post by Mezza » Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:44 pm

ahh thats ashame about the hawk, the F5 was on my wish list so i think i'll swap for that.

Miek

Post by Miek » Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:23 am

I just want to echo the F5 as someone who owns most of the modules. I'm also a big fan of the F86, but I rarely have anyone to fly that with. My DCS buddy and I mostly fly the Hornet these days. Before that we were F5 all day every day. It's small, its agile, it's fun to shoot things with. It only has the capability to fire Sidewinders and drop dumb bombs + guns. That's it. Nothing more complex. It has a basic radar, and it's a very good radar to learn on.

The Harrier is interesting, but niche. If you like to Ground Attack stuff, it's keen, but incomplete. There's a good deal of things still not implemented. If that doesn't bother, and you want a simpler ground attack plane than the A-10C, the Harrier is a good choice.

FC3 is simpler to learn, simpler to fly and you have more variety. You get the F15, A10A, Su27, MiG29, Su25 and... probably something else (Su33?). These are not full fidelity jets. Cockpits are not clickable. Much more akin to BoX in terms of "study level". I started out on the F15 and had a great time, but eventually I craved something I could make "mine."

I was in the middle of learning the Mirage when the Hornet dropped. People bitch about the Baguette but it's one of my favorite planes (still). It's radar is amazing and it only has one speed: Shit Hot. It's also all in french (the cockpit) but I had no problem learning it anyway.

F86 is just a WW2 fighter with a jet engine in it. It has 6 .50 caliber machine guns and some rockets. It's simple. It's old. It's a very unforgiving airplane. I love it. I still can't land.

F18C Hornet is still in early access and a very study level sim. It has a LOT of functionality implemented and on it's way. It takes off and lands on carriers, it fires Aim-7 Sparrows (I mean, it fires them pretty good. They go off into the air and you never see them again. Neither does the enemy) and Sidewinders. Aim-120s are not in yet. So BVR isn't a thing it does yet. Still, it's a sexy jet. My current go-to.

The WW2 modules are very "Work in progress" in terms of its combat. It's kind of dead and I feel like you get more bang for buck in IL2. That said the P51D is a dream to fly, even if I still prefer to fly a Spitfire.

No idea if this helps you. Good luck!

Javelina

Post by Javelina » Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:32 pm

Another DCS sale is on again as of Nov. 21st. check it out...
Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra, i7-9700k (4.9ghz all cores), NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL-14 3200mhz RAM, RTX3090FE, Soundblaster Z, Yamaha 5.1 A/V, 2x 512GB Samsung NVMe, 1x 1TB Samsung NVMe, Win 10 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, JetSeat KW-908, Reverb G2, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Full Tower Case, EVGA 850P2 PSU, PointCTRL