Hopping back in the saddle for some retro fun?

She's getting on in the years now, but we still like to jump in the saddle occasionally.

Moderators: Board of Directors, Command

Geordie

Re: Hopping back in the saddle for some retro fun?

Post by Geordie » Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:00 pm

Just follow the guide. If you get stuck let me know and I'll help where I can. :)
I mean, I had fast motor cars and fast motor bikes, and when I wasn't crashing airplanes, I was crashing motor bikes. It's all part of the game — Sir Harry Broadhurst

Rowns

Post by Rowns » Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:47 pm

I downloaded both the 29 BAT files and the Installer, Now I need to install it.

Jammy

Post by Jammy » Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:15 pm

This reminds me of Dark Blue World mod which took me a few centuries to install. Allot of crying and gnashing of teeth was included.

Convince me as to why I shouldn't stick to HSFX and i'll bite.
I do like to shoot down planes yes I do

Geordie

Post by Geordie » Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:35 am

Because BAT is an easy install unlike DBW or CUP :)
I mean, I had fast motor cars and fast motor bikes, and when I wasn't crashing airplanes, I was crashing motor bikes. It's all part of the game — Sir Harry Broadhurst

Woekie

Post by Woekie » Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:17 pm

it's a one click install no strange file extracting and such. just download all the 30 files and run the 1 .exe file and it installs it all.
just make sure u have il2 1946 version 4.12.2 and that's it. You get way more planes, theaters, new effects than DBW or HSFX.

Broadsword

Post by Broadsword » Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:21 pm

I'm a little vague on all these things. I get that BAT is easier to install than CUP was, but what is the advantage over HSFX? Does it have more planes? More maps? More and betterer thingumies? So far all I've learned is that it doesn't seem to come with any missions so you're having to create them...
I must go up to the skies again, to the peace of silent flight, To the gull’s way, and the hawk’s way, and the free wings’ delight;
And all I ask is a friendly joke with a laughing fellow rover, And a large beer, and a deep sleep, when the long flight’s over.

Woekie

Post by Woekie » Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:32 pm

Wel Creating them is not a problem. you just get a lot more maps to create missions on (or even to do quick combat). and of course u get lot's more planes and stuff (new planes a a lot more variants, like the spit gets something like 20 variants in the game). the planes are from ww1 (though we have ROF for that) up to the modern Jet era. but still the main focus is WWII. however if people want to we can also do Spanish civil war, Korea, six-day war, Vietnam etc. than that would be possible.

Geordie

Post by Geordie » Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:24 pm

HSFX doesn't come with any missions either.

BAT adds WAY more flyable aircraft and much more maps than HSFX does. It's a total overhaul of IL-2 1946 add aircraft from any era including helicopters. The main focus is still on WW2 like Woekie said however for the mission creators there are much more tools to play with.

For example, when I created the Spanish Civil war mission I really struggled to get the correct aircraft for the era and had to incorrect although similar aircraft. BAT will allow me to use accurate aircraft for the era alongside accurate weaponry used.

As for us having to create missions I wouldn't worry too much. There will be missions we can use on the SAS forum which I can steal *cough* I mean borrow.

Rowns

Post by Rowns » Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:41 pm

I am installing it now, it just take really long and my external harddrive doesn't like it so sometimes it disconnects and then I have to start all over it again.

Rowns

Post by Rowns » Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:13 pm

Oke I installed it but I am not sure if I did it right, how do I know it is installed right?