Kanalkampf. Mission 10: 19th July 1940

RAF flight reports for the epic ACG Historical Campaign - "Peace In Our Time" covering the Fall of France and the Battle of Britain. We are recruiting new pilots so you can join this - post in the Reception to request a seat. This forum is publically viewable.

Moderators: Board of Directors, Administration Staff, Skin Team, Treasurers

Hawes

Re: Kanalkampf. Mission 10: 19th July 1940

Post by Hawes » Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:42 am

Squadron: No.615 "County of Surrey" Squadron
Squadron code: "KW"
Pilot name: Hawes
Date: 19 July 1940
Time: 1320
Base: Hawkinge
Type: Hawker Hurricane Ia
Marking: T for 'Toc'
Serial number: L2098

'Panta' squadron took off second today as Group scrambled us to meet incoming raids over the Manston area. We had been at 2 mins readiness and were swiftly in the air. I did one quick circuit of the aerodrome and turned on to a heading of 081°. I poured on the coals to reach the interception altitude of Angles 10 and carried on climbing to Angles 14 to gain an advantage. I kept asking for new interception information and noticed that the raids were moving to the N/W of my position, heading straight for Manston. We were over Manston at Angles 14 when one of the rear pairs called out contacts. I called out our position on the R/T and discovered that it was 'Mandrel' Squadron behind us. I proceeded S to form up with the rest of the flight over Deal and suddenly we picked up 2 contacts to our six. I sent Wolverine and F/Sgt Hollywood to circle round with their wingmen. I took the rest of the squadron Port and climbed. It was then that I noticed a lone ME 109 below me at 11 O'clock. I dropped on him with my new wingman and got a good burst into his port wing. He stunted and dropped in altitude. I reversed and got off another short burst into his fuselage. He stunted again and was trying to drag me down. He looked fairly done for so I left him to a long trip home across the channel, which I doubt he completed.

I circled the area over Manston, climbing to Angles 20, and could only see Friendly A/C. At this time newly commissioned P/O Random made it clear that he was earning his extra pay low over Manston airfield. Apparently several 109s were giving our ground crews a low level display. With a common purpose the rest of 'Panta' dropped at quickly as the wings would let us. I levelled out at Angles 4 and saw a 109 streaking over the airfield heading out into the bay between Manston and Ramsgate. Having 2,000 ft on him I dropped on his tail as he reached the apex of his zoom and let him have a 2 second burst of British spunk. His engine started streaming and his left wing was on fire. He dropped towards the waves and I kept on him, giving him another burst for his troubles. He tried to out turn my Hurricane like the foolish Hun that he was and put his A/C into a spin and was lost forever below the waves. That is the only part of the Empire that Hun will occupy, and he's welcome to it.

At around this time I saw Wolverine attacking another streaming 109 who bailed out just N/E of Deal.

It seemed that most of 'Panta' were low on fuel or ammo so we turned back to Hawkinge to RTB, followed by 'Mandrel' squadron.
I landed from the E and was nearly cut off at the end of my run by a Hurricane coming the other way. I think we need to send some fellas back to ground school! All in all a successful mission for 'Panta', Bravo!

Claims
Destroyed: 1 ME 109
Probable: 1 ME 109
Damaged:

Lost
Pilot: OK,
A/C: OK

Dange

Post by Dange » Mon Mar 10, 2014 3:22 pm

Squadron: No. 64 Squadron
Squadron Code: SH
Pilot Name: Dange
Type: Spitfire II a
Marking:M
Serial number: N 3122

Lifted off from Hawkinge , Blue flight in no. 2 position with Thaine ( lead) and Venum (no.3). Climbed to altitude (20K) over the channel and headed up towards Ramsgate. Had two 109's pass by my starboard side on a reciprocal heading. Checked visually for Blue and they had disappeared . Circled and reduced altitude in the Manston Bay area. Checked out numerous contacts but they were all friendlies. Tried to form up with others but it seemed to be turning into a free for all. Maintained a decent altitude < > 10K but didn't (couldn't) pick up any enemy prospects. Headed back toward Hawkinge , check fuel , was on reserve, so I RTB'd just ahead of the returning crowd. My ground thanked me for not having to rearm ( while shaking their heads). Better luck next time was the comment I heard under their breath. I slipped off to the bar and concealed myself in a dark corner. At least you weren't shot down I consoled myself .

Claims
Destroyed: 0
Probable: 0
Damaged: 0

Losses
Pilot: OK
A/C: ok

Mauf

Post by Mauf » Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:32 pm

Squadron: No.501 "County of Gloucester" Squadron
Squadron code: "SD"
Pilot name: Mauf
Type: Hawker Hurricane I
Marking: "D for Don"
Serial number: LI898

Synopsis: Take-off from Hawkinge at 13:30 after radar spotted multiple aircraft inbound from france, heading towards Deal to Manston era. Acting squadron leader Teepee (since Wing Commander Osprey was praying to the porcelaine god at that time) lead us towards Manston to an altitude of 17.000 where we made contact with a furball of spitfires and 109s. Due to the chaotic nature of the fight, friend and foe identification was difficult. During the fight, I spotted a 109 diving for a Hurricane and intervened. The hun obviously saw me approach and decided to break-off his attack and continue a shallow dive towards Dover. Not wanting to let a hun run loose, I pursued him and was proven right, as the 109 climbed again and took aim at a Hurricane over the channel southeast of Dover. After his failed attempt at what must have been a No.615 Hurricane, I managed to reach shooting distance and shot out his radiator on my pass. The smoking 109 slowly descended towards the channel and I had to turn my attention towards two new 109s joining the fight. In the following turnfight, I reached the 6°clock position of one of the 109s while the other was distracted with the 615 Hurricane. My prey made a run for it and dove towards france. I pursued him for a bit but then turned around not wanting to leave the 615 Hurricane alone. Upon reaching said Hurricane again, he was in the middle of a fight with two 109s. I intervened on one of them but a 109, which I guess was the one I chased off over the channel who had turned around, put some shots into me. His shells must have been filled with worcestershire sauce since the only thing my trusty Hurricane could think of from that moment on was to get a drink in the channel. My plane, missing it's aileron and elevator controls, was no longer in an agreeable condition and so I threw back the canopy and made a jump for it, waiting for S&R in my trusty little dinghy.

Claims:
Downed: 1 ME-109

Losses:
Aircraft: Cooling off in the channel.
Pilot: Row, row, row, your boat gently down the stream... if you see a hun above, don't forget to scream.

Bully

Post by Bully » Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:44 pm

Squadron code: SD
Pilot name: Bully
Date: 19th July 1940
Time: 1320hrs
Marking: B for Beer
Serial number: L2038

Jumped into my hurricane just as Defiants from 141 squadron were getting airborne. Along with the boys fromm 615 and 64 squadron, we were ordered to start our engines and await further instructions . The C/O had been called away on an ultra-top-secret-super-mega mission behind enemy lines had therefore was not able to lead the squadron. This job fell to F/O Teepee. Which despite a few grumbles from the back of the room, was well received.

The three squadrons sat on the airfield, watching the Defiants circle above when we got word of an incoming raid. 64 were the first to get up, closely followed by 615. A soon as the last 615 machine had got airborne, 501 burst into life. With the throttle pushed fully open (and no flaps) all 9 pilots were soon pointing skyward.

Radar was still only reporting the one raid, heading the direction of Manston, so we pointed our Hurricanes in that way. Climbing as we went, by the time we hit Deal we had more altitude than the incoming bandits, at around angels 12. Things soon complicated themselves when a call from 615 pointed out that more raids had appeared on radar. We had visual on lots of contacts above Manston, but after radio conversation this turned out to be the other Hurricane squadron.

We still headed in the direction of Ramsgate, as radar was pointing us this way. As we hit Mansotn bay, around angles 15, all hell broke loose. Contacts had been reported heading our way from mid-channel, so 501 tuned to engage. Some 109s flew above the group. They dived down on the back of the formation (where I was situated) but didn’t open fire. This was the last enemy I saw for ten minutes, despite flying round the Manston/Ramsgate area. However there were multiple friends around, possibly all of 501, 615 and 64. A fine sight, but not much action!

F/O Teepee then decided it was time to regroup, and order 501 to the north of Ramsgate at angels 15. I flew to that location, and soon found myself on the tail of said leader. We carried on climbing, and soon started to pull contrails. The rest of the squadron were trying to locate us, and it was not long before P/O Meaker had joined us at angles 15. F/O Teepee spotted some 109s below us, so we dived down to attack. I followed him keeping his tail clear as he chased some 109s.

I didn’t see him get any hits, but was busy watching for Hun so may have missed him shoot. Buy now more 109 had tuned up, and it was getting more dangerous. I stuck with the temporary C/O as we flew around Ramsgate looking for enemies. A couple of Messerschmitts soon passed beneath as, and just as the third or fourth was about to fly below me, I stuck my nose down and gave him a quick squirt into his port wing. I saw flashes from the wing, but I don't think any major damage was caused.

Other 501 pilots were also reporting bandits, so along with three other Hurricanes I tuned back towards Manston. P/O Bonkin radioed in engine damage, and that he was going to RTB to Manston. Other squadrons had sightings of low flak above Manston and by now I was above Manston bay and could see three targets flying low above the base. P/O Bonkin was on the ground at Manston and had informed us they were strafing the base! I decided it was time to get involved, and descended to help fight.

With the three 109s flying around the base, it was not long before I found myself on the tail of one of them. In a climbing right hand turn, he made an easy target. Getting good hits around the cockpit, he tightened his turn to try and get away. I held off firing until he had to pull out level, and then opened up. A lot of hits onto this starboard wing, which caught fire. Now trailing black smoke, the enemy made a run for the North. But before he got the the coast, I got some more hits into him, he started to vent from the starboard wing and his radiator. I was wary of staying around to watch him meet his fate in case his friends tuned up, so broke off.

By now 501 were scattered all over the place, but no enemy contact were reported by any of the squadrons. The order was given to return to base. Flying back towards Hawkinge, I joined up with hurricane KW-T and headed home, where I joined the mass of planes landing.

As I taxied to the hangers, in turned out most of 501 had made it back to base. It had been a while since SAC Mauf had been heard from, although he later arrived looking a bit wet. P/O Bonkin had to catch the bus back from Manston, but all 501 eventually returned unscathed, with or without an aircraft. It did however take Sgt. Sabre a while to get back. Desperate to give some De Wilde to an enemy, he returned with less fuel than the rest of us.

All safe and sound – time to get drunk!

Claims
Probable : 1 x ME109
Damaged: 1 x ME109

Losses
Pilot - Survived
A/C – Serviceable

Meaker

Post by Meaker » Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:02 am

Pilot name: Meaker
Marking: G for George
Serial number: P2793

COMBAT RECORD

It was announced early in the afternoon at Hawkinge that the Wing Commander had been called away across seas on something ‘hush,hush’,so it fell to F/O Teepee to step up to the mark and lead us all gallantly against the hun once more.He had led us into battle several times before when the C/O was otherwise engaged and I trusted him one hundred percent,he was a damn fine chap and a good egg.

We were waiting on the airfield at Hawkinge with engines on idle so that we could spring into action the minute the call came to scramble,and it was’nt long before it did,multiple raids were coming in over the Dover area all heading about 328 degrees.

F/O Teepee gave us the word ‘GO’,after having to wait for the Squadrons of 64 and 615 to get up,he led us out of Hawkinge and up the coast,we got to about Angels 15 over Manston when we were bounced by 109’s coming in from behind us.We split up so not to give Jerry an easy target to latch onto and for minutes we circled Manston and Ramsgate trying to stay out of trouble,but equally looking for prey ourselves.

After a short time F/O Teepee ordered us to regroup North of Ramsgate at Angels 15 to try and reassemble the Squadron.I could see F/O Teepee and P/O Bully orbiting the Ramsgate area in a left hand circle and joined the formation myself now third in formation,but still not as close as I’d like to be.It was at this point that 109’s were seen to be in the bay and strafing the airfield at Manston so our gallant F/O led us down to attack.

We chased the hun fighters as best we could,but now more of the stinkers were turning up,like wasps around a jam pot,I was constantly turning and looking behind to ensure I was’nt being lined up as a possible target.In this madness that was unfolding in front of us I heard P/O Bonkin radio in to inform us that he had some kind of engine malfunction and would be returning to Manston to pancake.

After a short time ‘the fuel equasion’ for the 109’s (which is what I like to call it) must have kicked in as the skies suddenly started to clear,realising this F/O Teepee made the decision for 501 to RTB at Hawkinge.We all started to head back,and as I flew over Dover town ,I could visibly see ‘Killing Wood’ the small nest of trees sited on the South Eastern approach of Hawkinge,I lined up my kite and gradually decreased my RPM and boost.

The main runway was now in sight and I flew my kite over the threshold at 100mph before touching down at 90mph ensuring that all three wheels made contact with the runway.Once down,I parked up,shut down all systems and made my way to the mess to grab a pint of that well known RAF brew ‘Badgers Bollocks’ a real favourite of the acting C/O I’m led to believe.

However before I could make through the doors of the mess,an orderly came running up to me and in a grim face gave me some bad news,’err,sorry sir,....it’s bad news sir,...your dog sir,...the driver did’nt even stop,...it’s Merlin sir,he’s dead sir’.
This was an awful bit of news that a chap should have to be told after coming back from flying in combat,and now I did’nt want to celebrate with the rest of the chaps,I just wanted to be alone for a while,I know the chaps,they would understand.So I took myself back to my room lit a pipe filled with ‘Old Shag’,of course,and contemplated my loss,but seeing the claw marks on the inside of the door and noticing his lead still in my desk drawer were too much to bare,and I succumbed to a bottle of single malt whiskey.

So it was just before midnight,intoxicated from the liquer,tears welling in my eyes and armed with a big RAF spade that I buried my dear old mutt Merlin just outside the mess in an appropriate area.......God,War is hell.

Claims
Probable : 0

Losses
Pilot - Ok
A/C – Ok

Baron le Scrope

Post by Baron le Scrope » Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:27 pm

Squadron: No.615 "County of Surrey" Squadron
Squadron code: "KW"
Pilot name: Baron
Marking:B for Beer.
Serial number: P3231

Took off from Hawkinge in Mandrel Sqdn., and climbed to Angels 10, heading towards the Deal area. Random noted high contacts turning and diving to get on our 6s, he ordered us to break, i went left whilst Johnny banked right. a 109 overshot on my port wing, i fired a deflection shot into his engine and cockpit area noting the Dewilde making contacts, he turned over and went down to the sea. I regained alt and heard a cry for assistance from the Manston airfield, 3 109s were shooting up the airfield, one of our lads was engaged but lacked ammo. Now being close to, but high, i dived to assist, at near terminal speed i fired down on the hun getting some hits he started venting and pulled up quickly where some spits latched on to him and shot the bugger down. Unfortunately, my speed was too great to pull up and performed a perfect 3 point almighty crash, a sort of energy pancake. Parts were scattered all over the field but easily collected by the erks.

Claims
Destroyed: 1 Me-109
Probable: None
Damaged: 1 Me-109

Lost
Pilot: KIA
A/C-- Sort of recoverable.
Antec 900 case,/ Sabertooth P67 MoBo,/ Intel corei7 2600cpu-/- MSI GTX 970 4G Graphics, --WD-1Tb Velociraptor HDD--16g Corsair 2133Mhz Ram/-- Corsair TX 850w PSU /--Samsung40"led TV, TrackiR5, CH J/sick. Warthog Throttle. Corsair Vengeance 2100 H/set/mike. W10 Pro 64, /---Two slightly depressed teabags.

Think nothing of it sir, it was the least I could do, a quantity I specialize in.

Teepee
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader
Sqn Cdr

Post by Teepee » Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:25 pm

Pilot name: FO Teepee
Type: Trusty Hawker Hurricane Mk 1A
Marking: "M for Marvel"
Serial number: N2617

Synopsis:

Recovered from my last mission I was re-united with my trusty Hurricane after the ground crew had worked tirelessly to recover the amazing machine to flight readiness. I handed the Crew-Chief two crates of ‘Badgers Bollocks’, for the boys, and told him that once again their efforts meant that 501 Sqn would be giving Jerry a black eye, or two. The chaps gave a hearty cheer and downed the crates in a few minutes. I made a mental note to have a chat with the Chief about SAC ‘Fancy’ Farquar who consumed his ale so quickly I thought he would be a keen asset in the inter-Squadron ‘drink a yard of ale’ competition.

During the Mission Briefing the Boss told me I would be leading the brave flyers of 501 Sqn. He had been called to a short notice meeting at Bentley Priory and would be leaving straight away. I replied I would take good care of his fledglings.

Our orders were to await the departure of the 141 Sqn Defiants and then follow the RADAR plots from Wing HQ. We had been warned to expect more trouble around the Manston area. Jerry still hadn’t realised that we chaps in the RAF considered attacking Blighty was pretty bad form, and we would have to give them a damn good bare arse thrashing, with leather gloves on.

We made our way to the menacing forms that were our trusty Hurricanes and strapped in. With engines ticking over we waited for the first signs that the Hun was once again heading our way. The WAAFs in Wing HQ plotted their stuff and we were given vectors to steer to the North East. The scramble was commenced by the 64 Sqn Spitties dancing their way across the airfield in a spray of engine exhaust and Brylcream. Once 64 Sqn were clear it was safe for the mighty Hurricanes to weave their way skyward, 615 Sqn followed by the fearless 501 Sqn. The sight of so many marvellous Hurricanes in the sky brought a lump to my throat and I stroked the thighs on Yvettes photo, feverishly, almost rubbing the image away. ‘You’d better send your best pilots today, Hermann, cos you’ll need them’ I murmured to myself.

Once airborne I set the Sqn on course for Manston and called the engine settings to climb and intercept the reported Bogeys headed our way. We passed over Deal at around 12,000 feet when reports of ’Bandits ahead and above’ began to fill my earphones. We started to climb hard in our tremendous Hurricanes and steered an intercept course to meet the Hun. Unfortunately the many aircraft that we saw in the air were other friendlies, equally searching the skies for signs of the enemy. Suddenly we were attacked by a wave of 109s and the fight began. It was obvious that the RAF outnumbered the Hun, at this juncture, and it became difficult to make out the enemy amongst so many of our chaps. I called to the Sqn that we should attempt to re-group North East of Ramsgate to allow us to make a better appraisal of the situation. I feared that the RAF would be shooting down RAF, at this rate, and that wouldn’t look good when the Top Brass called for the reports.

At 22,000ft I was soon joined by POs Bully and Meaker. We heard the cries of victory as the awesome Hurricanes began to do their dire work on the enemy. The brave SAC Mauf was heard to reach for his chute after a brief encounter with a 109 and PO Bonkin was heard to pancake at Manston after tangling with the Boche. We continued to patrol above Manston until we heard reports from the chaps below us that the enemy was strafing the airfields. We three dropped down, in our mighty Hurricanes, determined to let the Hun have a DeWilde welcome and send him packing in a parachute, or dinghy, back to the French side. PO Bully weaved some lead into a 109 but PO Meaker unfortunately didn’t realise his ambition to send Fritz an invitation to the dark side.

I found myself on the six of a pesky 109 and let him have a long burst of DeWilde magic. I saw hits bursting on the left wing and fuselage. I broke away when I was similarly attacked by another black crossed vermin. My target veered erratically and descended, to be followed by a 615 Sqn trusty Hurricane piloted by Random. I was informed later that the coast guard spotted the 109 crash and I jointly claim my half kill with Random.

Almost as sudden as the battle had started, the skies were now empty of the enemy machines. Obviously the marvellous machine that was the Hurricane had shown Jerry that we were not yet giving him the keys to the Tower. I radioed to the Sqn that we may as well call it a day and head back home. Jerry had had enough and Hermann would have to lick his wounds yet again. The awesome Hurricanes returned to Hawkinge like eagles returning to the nest with their claws dripping with the fetid blood of their prey.

After landing I gave my brief to the Adj before making my way to the mess and meeting the chaps. SAC Mauf turned up a bit damp and PO Bonkin caught the crew bus back from Manston. Unfortunately for PO Meaker he heard the unfortunate news about Merlin and retired to his bunk in a pretty bad state. I felt pity for the poor chap and pushed a spare photo of Yvette under his door so he could relieve his distress.

It was while I was returning to the bar that I met a nice young filly from the Hawking Ladies Rowing Team. I mentioned to her that I was also in the Rowing Team and that I was the Cox. She mentioned that she hadn’t been near any Cox for a long time and could I help her by showing her what to do. Naturally I agreed to show her everything and suggested we retire to the Boat Shed where we could open the bottles of wine. I don’t remember anything after that.

Claims:
Destroyed: None
Probable: 1 x Bf109 (Shared with Random)
Damaged: None

Losses:
A/C: Fully Serviceable.

Tea and medals due for looking after the fledglings.

Thaine

Post by Thaine » Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:31 am

Squadron: No. 64 Squadron
Squadron Code: SH
Pilot Name: Thaine
Type: Spitfire
Marking: J for Jay
Seriel: L1068

Synopsis:

Back with the flying members of RAF. I was happy to get my hands on the controlls again after the last days of administration and other duties with the MET and the Wing. The weather was stable and an anticyclonic cirulation had established itself once again. This month had been exceptional warm and dry so far, but the forecast for next week showed some more unstable weather, probably with precipitation and lower clouds over large parts of the Kingdom. So let's hit the Hun as long as conditions permit, I thought to myself.
I was in perfect mood strawling through the streets to get me some breakfast and strong coffee. Some young girls across the street looked at me and started to giggle, they must have noticed my flashy RAF-uniform. One of them crossed the street towards me and my mood was lifted one notch further. "Excuse me...", she said, " are you one of those fabulous RAF-pilots?" - "Yes, I'am." I replied. "Tell me...", she continued, "how is it to handle the stick of the mighty Hurricane?" I began to stutter, my throat itching and getting dry. "Æhhh, quite alright I think...-but you know, I'm a Spitfire pilot." There was an akward silence before she replied: "Ohh, mhh. Well the best of luck to you sir." and off she went with her friends.

Arriving at Hawkinge I was told that Blue Flights commanding officer Luke was not available today and I shall take the lead instead. Personally, I would have rather taken a place as wingman but No.64 squadron was at full strength this time and no empty slots were available to divide the remainder of blue onto other flights. We were second to scramble from Hawkinge after white flight. Circling around the field, SAC Dange and LAC Venom joined formation behind me. We climbed on an easterly heading to angles 20. Contact with the hun occured somewhere east off Deal. There were multiple contacts to our right side. I directed blue flight towards them trying to keep situational awarness and the advantage on our side. Somehow I wasn't able to get into the proximity of the hun, all contact turned out to be Spitfires or mighty Hurricanes. Venom was keeping formation brilliantly until I went into a dive to support allies on lower altitudes. He overshot and we lost contact.

I continued southeast of Deal, once spotting the Hun running for France but there was no point in chasing him. I then followed the call for assistance of Bounder south of Dover. 64 was engaged close to the deck by two 109. They soon tried to escape but Venom and Bounder hunted one of them down. A second short dogfight started just north of the French coast. Soon after, 64 was ordered to return to base.

After landing in Hawkinge I made for the pub, where I found Dange zipping his dring in a corner. I joined the "did-not-fire-a-single-round" club. Sligthly frustrated about not being able to contribute more. But at least it seems most of 64 made it back unharmed. So my first mission as flight leader can't be called a success, but a failure it wasn't either.

Claims
Destroyed:
Probable:
Damaged:

Losses
Pilot - OK
A/C: OK
Fractal Design Define R6 / Gigabyte Z390 AORUS MASTER / Intel i9-9900K / 32 GB RAM / NVIDIA GeForce GTX2080Ti / WD Black SN750 / Corsair Hydro H100i RGB Platinum / Corsair RM850x / WINDOWS 10 / LG 42LE5300 / TrackIR / HP Reverb G2 / Saitek AV8R-MK3 / Saitek ProFlight Throttle Quadrant / Saitek ProFlight Rudder Paddels / Saitek ProFlight Cessna Trim Wheel

Serpico

Post by Serpico » Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:12 pm

Pilot name: Serpico
Marking: H for Harry

Waited to scramble from Hawkinge and did so once we received word of radar contacts in several locations mid channel. Climbed toward Manston and made contact with 109's East of Manston bay. I only caught a few glimpses of the enemy and they were always being followed by several of us. Aircraft ID was difficult as we had met with elements of the 615th and 64th and so there were quite a few a/c in the swarm. Eventually heard calls that Manston was being strafed so proceeded to dive. Was able to watch what appeared to be a Hurricane and Spitfire chase a 109 into Manston bay until he hit the silk. Headed back to Hawkinge and to the pub to sulk that I had to land with a full ammo load.

Claims

Losses
A/C:OK

Bonkin

Post by Bonkin » Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:56 pm

Pilot name: Bonkin
Marking: "Z for Zebra"
Serial number: P3803

Synopsis
Wing scamble to intercept radar contacts over channel. Visibilty excellent - but became separated from 501 when patrol circle overlapped with that of 615. Attempted to regroup with squadron but became embroiled with a schwarm of 109's and suffered a few hits with a result of an overheated engine. Pancaked at Manston and was straffed on ground.

Engine Start 1319
Brakes Off 1333
Brakes On 1400
Engine Shutdown 1401

Full Report
There's some strange stuff going on around here. Firstly, the boss has been called away to some hush hush meeting with the stuffies at Bentley Priory. At first when he went off I was dead worried that he had been carted off to sick bay or something - thinking that maybe his tonguing session with Merlin (with ode' of Nigsy testicles) had made him sick. Thankfully that seems not to be the case. Anyway, secondly, last night when I retired to my bed (after a number of bevvies in the mess), somebody had shoved a picture of a rather attractive semi-naked woman under my door. It said "With love from Yvette". I don't know who the hell she is but she's rather nice. Maybe she's one of the new girls in the Motor Transport section who's taken a fancy to me? I'll have to keep a look out for her.

So today FO Teepee was taking care of 501 Squadron in the CO's absence. After lunch the whole wing was called to readiness so we were strapped into our mighty Hurricanes with the engines running whilst waiting for the call to scramble.

As soon as the radar plots started coming through the Brylcreem boys of No.64 Squadron started scrambling across the grass and into the clear skies. No.615 went next and very quickly after that FO Teepee had No.501 powering our way into the blue. After our recent successes we were all ready to give Fritz a dammed good hiding all the way back to the Fatherland. For now though our orders meant we were limited to the Channel only.

It wasn't long before we had climed to Angels 20 but there were aircraft everywhere. The radar plots were coming thick and fast and I had the distinct impression we were chasing our tails. FO Teepee was doing a fine good job though - and was using some of the Boss' favourite phrases to make us all feel more comfortable. I remember hearing "Set guns to Hun" and "Come on Chaps lets pull it together" in the crackle of my earphones.

At some point we must have merged with No.615 in separate patrol orbits because once I had finished a scan of the skies and looked over to where I expected Fo Teepee's SD-M machine I saw KW-T instead. Eh? What was going on I wondered? I made a mental note not to fly so close to my leader... clearly during my scan we had been turning and I must have lost him either beneath my nose or under my wing. I reported my predicament over the R/T and headed over to the Ramsgate area to regroup. At this time though I suddenly became aware of lots of small puffs of smoke in front of me.

Quickly I came to my senses and realised I was being fired upon. Dammed those sneaky rotten scoundrels. There were four of the buggers all spread out in a line but closing in at my six at great speed. With few options available to me I kicked in full rudder and pulled the stick over. The sound of bullets smashing into my machine could be heard over the roar of the mighty Merlin but my evasion had worked. I'd lost 4000ft but was still flying with full control. What an incredible machine!

I pulled the tit and commenced a climb at full rate climb to try to gain altitude and chase down the buggers that had hit me. It wasn't long before I had one in my sights but I just could not pull enough lead and ended up wasting my ammunition in the vain hope I get one to turn back. Clearly these Huns were experienced and knew what they were doing. They all seemed to have brown numbers on their sides.

Pretty soon though I realised I would have to disengage. Although I'd reported over the R/T what was happening I think the rest of 501 were still re-grouping and were a lot higher. I'd also run over my 5mins of additional boost and the engine was beginning to overheat. My decision was therefore to pancake at Manston - so I let FO Teepee know my intentions and dived down to land.

On finals, although I was aware that flak was going off around the airfield, I decided to press on anyway. This I did safely but as I was shutting down the engine the ground around me errupted in flashes and flames. Holy crap I thought. I looked up and there were three dirty Hun buggers coming down to try and finish me off! I popped the starboard exit and dived to the ground but my poor kite was completely shredded. As they all zoomed off I shook my fist at them. What a dirty trick! Come back and fight you rotters!

Then - a wonderful sight and sound. The might Hurricanes of the brave boys of 501 had heard my last reports of flak at Manston and had come down to teach Jerry a lesson. The 109's scattered and I stood and watched with great pride the achievements of my squadron. That certainly taught them a hard lesson!

Once the skies had cleared I managed to hitch a ride back to Hawkinge in a Blenheim and enjoyed an evening in the mess with the squadron. What a great bunch of fine chaps!

Claims

Losses
Pilot: Just needing a brush down and a clean pair of pants.
A/C: Shredded due to ground straffing but easily patched up.