Kanalkampf. Mission 10: 19th July 1940

RAF flight reports for the epic ACG Historical Campaign - "Peace In Our Time" covering the Fall of France and the Battle of Britain. We are recruiting new pilots so you can join this - post in the Reception to request a seat. This forum is publically viewable.

Moderators: Board of Directors, Administration Staff, Skin Team, Treasurers

Sabre

Re: Kanalkampf. Mission 10: 19th July 1940

Post by Sabre » Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:03 am

Squadron: No.501 "County of Gloucester" Squadron
Squadron code: SD
Pilot name: Sabre
Date: 19th July 1940
Time: 1320hrs
Base: Hawkinge
Type: Hawker Hurricane Ia
Marking: S for Sugar
Serial number: P3397

Once again No. 501 squadron were massed with No.64's flamboyant flyboys and the rather raucous bunch of chaps from No. 615 Squadron. It had been a another frustrating weekend for the Squadron football team with the red and whites beaten by a bunch of old fellas from the bloody Home Guard of all things. Even cricket's starting to look more appealing which is worrying in itself. I was hoping to rid myself of all this sporting frustration by dealing another blow to the Hun's plans for this fair land.

All the boys waited in eager anticipation engines running ready for scramble. We didn't wait long before word came through of radar contacts in several locations mid channel. FO Teepee was to lead us out on this little jaunt as the CO had been called away on urgent business. Despite the official line as to the bosses whereabouts the boys had begun to wonder about a rumoured dalliance with a local filly or two. Personally I think it's a load of old tosh as the CO would never willingly give up an opportunity to give the Hun another bloody nose but boys will be boys.

We climbed toward Manston and contacts were sighted east of Manston bay. We turned towards them and ended up getting a head on pass from a Bf109 I think we frightened the life out of each other. I turned again to search out further contacts but by now the sky was full of aircraft. I caught a few glimpses of what I believed to be enemy but it seemed they were always being engaged by Hurricanes or Spitfires. Aircraft identification was a nightmare, after a few minutes I spotted two aircraft pulling contrails west of Manston and climbed up to take a peak - turned out it was a couple of No.64 Squadron just making sky patterns. FO Teepee then called the squadron to try and re-group North East of Ramsgate to appraise the situation. I arrived at the rendezvous point at about 12000 feet and met up with SAC Mauf but as I scoured the area for the rest of the squadron I lost contact and ended up alone - that was the last I saw of SAC Mauf.

Further contacts were spotted low over Manston so I dropped down to investigate and saw a couple of 109's being chased by Hurricanes and Spitfires. I stayed above the engagement but then lost eyes against the background of the sea out in the bay. As quick as the skies had filled they seemed to empty once more and soon the call came to RTB and I picked up with a few of the boys to head back to Hawkinge.

I continued to search the skies in the hope of spotting something to shoot at but to no avail. One by one the sky emptied of friendly aircraft as we returned home. I did another couple of circuits over Hawkinge, I really didn't want to face the boys in the bar having returned with a full ammo load for the second mission in a row. I eventually had to give in and dropped the old girl safely back onto the ground and made the long slow walk to the bar for the inevitable ribbing I would get. At least I was alive and kicking and I knew there would be other opportunities soon enough.

Claims
Destroyed: 0
Probable: 0
Damaged: 0

Losses
Pilot: OK
A/C:OK
No.111 (Fighter) Squadron - "Adstantes" - Standing by
"Worry only on the things you can influence and accept there are things beyond your control"

Vranac

Post by Vranac » Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:53 pm

Squadron: No. 64 Squadron
Squadron Code: SH
Pilot Name: Vranac
Date: 19 July 1940
Time: 1320
Type: Spitfire Ia
Marking: V

In that swarm of contacts i spotted single 109 followed by two Hurricanes. He rolled and dived, I followed and gained on him.
Then he climbed steeply. On the top of the climb just as he filled my aiming sight he lost control and went into a spin.
I couldn't do anything at low speed in almost vertical position. I lost my wing in the collision.
Bailed at Ramsgate.

Claims
Destroyed: none
Probable: none
Damaged: 1 x Me-109

Losses
Pilot - OK
A/C: destroyed

Looky

Post by Looky » Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:19 pm

Pilot Name: Looky
Type: Spitfire
Marking: "A for Apple"
Serial number: N3032

Claims
Probable:
Damaged: 1

Losses
Pilot: KIA
A/C: DESTROYED

Tyrone
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Post by Tyrone » Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:18 pm

Pilot Name: TYRONE
Type: Spitfire
Marking: "T for Tango"

Claims
Probable:
Damaged: 1

Losses
Pilot: bailed
A/C: DESTROYED

Thaine

Post by Thaine » Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:08 pm

After mission report RAF squadrons No.501, No.615, No.64.

Intercept of enemy aircraft, 19th July 1940.

Kenley Wing Squadrons No.501, No.615 and No.64 scrambled from Hawkinge after several contact were spottet over the channel via RADAR. Contact with the enemy was made off the english coast between Deal and Manston. Kenley wing assisted in the protection of 141 Squadron Defiants departing from Manston. The combined force of No.501, No.615 and No.64 squadron was able to push back the german intruders and to counter their shameful attempt of attacking Manston airfield, thereby destoying 4 enemy aircraft. 6 more aircraft were severely damaged and are believed to have ditched in the channel due to their damage, although confirmation of these kills could not be made. Damage was inflicted to 12 more enmey aircraft.

Losses on our side were kept to a minimum. Only 5 airplanes were lost while 5 more returned damaged. FltSgt. Baron crash landed at Manston airfield and died due to severe injuries. Plt Off Looky did not return from his mission. We are deeply saddened to lose such formidable pilots and comrades.
Fractal Design Define R6 / Gigabyte Z390 AORUS MASTER / Intel i9-9900K / 32 GB RAM / NVIDIA GeForce GTX2080Ti / WD Black SN750 / Corsair Hydro H100i RGB Platinum / Corsair RM850x / WINDOWS 10 / LG 42LE5300 / TrackIR / HP Reverb G2 / Saitek AV8R-MK3 / Saitek ProFlight Throttle Quadrant / Saitek ProFlight Rudder Paddels / Saitek ProFlight Cessna Trim Wheel