Kanalkampf. Mission 11: 20th July 1940

RAF flight reports for the epic ACG Historical Campaign - "Peace In Our Time" covering the Fall of France and the Battle of Britain. We are recruiting new pilots so you can join this - post in the Reception to request a seat. This forum is publically viewable.

Moderators: Board of Directors, Administration Staff, Skin Team, Treasurers

Teepee
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader
Sqn Cdr

Re: Kanalkampf. Mission 11: 20th July 1940

Post by Teepee » Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:30 pm

Squadron: No.501 "County of Gloucester" Squadron
Squadron code: "SD"
Pilot name: FO Teepee
Date: June 20 1940
Time: 1330hrs
Base: Hawkinge
Type: Trusty Hawker Hurricane Mk 1A
Marking: "M for Marvel"
Serial number: N2617

Synopsis:

The Squadron was now on a high. The previous mission saw the fearless RAF pilots in their magnificent Hurricanes, and some Spitties, give Jerry a severe headache after his almost abortive attack on our Convoy near Manston. That night the Mess was alive with the banter and cheer that could only be found in the most exclusive club in the land. Numerous pilots ‘walked the ceiling’ in the customary celebration of having downed an enemy ‘kite’ and the Station Fire Section were called out no less than six times to deal with the burning pianos that each Squadron was setting on fire at the back of the Mess. The Fire Officer was later heard muttering that the ‘crazy fighter boys’ were causing more damage than the Luftwaffe. The chaps bought the Fire Crew some crates of ‘Badgers Bollocks’, to placate them, and warned them that more may happen if the shooting spree continued. The one sad note was that the brave Meaker was still mourning the demise of Merlin. He had given the Boss a severe listening to and was expected to show up for todays soiree. ‘God help Jerry’, we all thought as Meaker still looked thoroughly browned off.

Today the orders were to protect a Convoy as it approached the coast just off from the Manston/Deal area. The tireless ground crews had again worked hard to prepare the amazing Hurricanes to flight readiness. The Boss was back from his Top Brass briefing so I was able to prepare for the mission along with the rest of the chaps in the usual games of football, cricket and letter writing etc.

We strapped into the awesome machines, that were our trusty Hurricanes, and waited for the Off. The WAAFs in Wing HQ again plotted the targets and we were finally given the command to ‘scramble’. The usual melee that was 64 Sqn first, followed by 615 Sqn and then the fearless 501 Sqn was re-enacted with the customary roar of the mighty Merlin filling the air. We set a course for the Manston area, climbing all the way. We were informed that 40+ enemy machines were inbound towards the Deal area. The first excited shouts of ‘contact’ filled my earphones and I heard some steely eyed airman call out that they were Stukas. ‘Let’s go Boys’ shouted the Boss as I repeated the settings for a Ju87 wingspan and we dove towards the massed formation of the black crossed enemy armada. The sound of gunfire and the stench of cordite filled my cockpit as I opened fire on a machine at the left of the formation. My DeWilde mix did the trick and the Hun veered violently into a downward spiral. ‘You guys wont be catching the bus for the Moulin Rouge tonight’ I murmured to myself as the plane hit the sea in a satisfying scattering of men and machine. (I claim 1 x Ju87 kill.) I gazed at Yvettes picture in my cockpit and the memories flooded back when we had been to see the Show in the Summer of ’38. Yvettes pen pal, Mimi, had accompanied us on what became a memorable night back in the one bedroom apartment in Paris, playing Naughty Word Snap and Happy Families. I was abruptly brought back to the present when I saw another Ju 87 pass across my cockpit with a majestic Hurricane on its tail, all guns blazing, weaving a lethal web of lead across the airframe.

I called out to the Boss that I was heading back to Hawkinge to re-arm and refuel. As I was passing the convoy, below, I heard the shouts of the chaps below who were engaged with some pesky 109s. I dropped down to render assistance and managed to help a fellow trusty Hurricane who was tracking one of the vermin as he attacked our brave sailors in their convoy. We took turns to sow our deadly seeds before my ammunition was spent. I managed some hits and was sure the other fantastic machine dealt the knockout blow (I claim 1 x Bf109 damaged).

My return to Hawkinge was uneventful and I was soon back in the air after my ground crew had replenished the amazing Hurricane to its lethal best. I had heard fellow pilot PO Bonkin requesting support so I flew my incredible machine at top speed to lend a helping round, or two. By the time I arrived I saw a machine tracking due East at low level being tracked by a number of fantastic Hurricanes. I was able to draw an early bead on the enemy and I let the 109 have a full measure of my deadly medicine. My yellow tracers were knocking on the enemy fuselage and my AP/DeWilde mix was coursing through the enemy skin. I broke off when my ammunition was low and climbed to take stock of where I was (I claim 1 x Bf109 damaged). The other deadly Hurricanes descended upon the prey eager to finish him off in the customary way. I heard the battle over my headphones and was glad to hear the Boss had held back the ‘hounds’ when the Hun had decided that the show was over. That pilot owe his life to the Boss who was obviously showing the Hun that shooting down a struggling foe who waggles his wings is pretty bad form and not something a formidable Hurricane pilot would do. I then made my way back to Hawkinge with the rest of the chaps.

Over the airfield the chaps gave the Station a victors display consisting of victory rolls and some low passes. We gave our briefs to the Adj before making our way to the Mess and meeting the other chaps. A few more pianos were lit in the car park and the Mess ceiling had a few more footprints. We all met in the Mess gardens for a few songs and swapped even more war stories.

It was while I was returning to the bar that I met a nice young filly from the Hawking Ladies Snooker Team. She was interested in doing some practice shots on the table and asked me if I wanted to join in pocketing some balls with her. Naturally, I agreed and I mentioned to her that I had sunk my balls quite often on that table and would be pleased to demonstrate my cueing action to her. I suggested that we should make our way to the snooker room, at the back of the Mess, where we could open the bottles of wine. I don’t remember anything after that.

Claims:
Destroyed: 1 x Ju87
Probable: None
Damaged: 2 x Bf109

Losses:
Pilot: OK
A/C: Fully Serviceable.

Tea, Promotion and Medals due for helping to win the day.

Baron le Scrope

Post by Baron le Scrope » Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:53 pm

Squadron: No.615 "County of Surrey" Squadron
Squadron code: "KW"
Pilot name: Baron
Date: July 20 1940
Type: Hawker Hurricane Ia
Marking:Baron
Serial number:P3231

This is my second attempt at posting this report as the first detailed account of the mission was sent into the ether as when submitted asked me to log on!!! so lost the first report, this happened to me previously with no answers as to why, so, untill this is sorted i will give just the bare amount of info as i am not wasting any more hrs typing out reports to have them vanish. This is really bloody annoying.

Claims
Destroyed:
Probable:
Damaged: 2. JU 87, both streaming, one windmilling and losing altitude

Lost
Pilot: OK,
A/C: damaged
Antec 900 case,/ Sabertooth P67 MoBo,/ Intel corei7 2600cpu-/- MSI GTX 970 4G Graphics, --WD-1Tb Velociraptor HDD--16g Corsair 2133Mhz Ram/-- Corsair TX 850w PSU /--Samsung40"led TV, TrackiR5, CH J/sick. Warthog Throttle. Corsair Vengeance 2100 H/set/mike. W10 Pro 64, /---Two slightly depressed teabags.

Think nothing of it sir, it was the least I could do, a quantity I specialize in.

Bully

Post by Bully » Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:59 pm

Squadron code: SD
Pilot name: Bully
Date: 20th June 1940
Time: 1320hrs
Marking: B for Beer
Serial number: L2038

Missed the take off as someone had locked me in the store room. Managed to get out by getting the attention of some friendly WAAFs. Ran over to my hurricane with enquiring looks from the ground crew. By now the rest of 501 had got to angels 10 somewhere near Deal, so I made for there.

By the time I got near to them, I heard over the radio that the incoming raid had been spotted. Stukas! Tried to get visual contact on the group of enemies, but no sign. Calls came over the radio of 109s around Manston & Ramsgate at angels 15. Aborting the plan to go for the JU-87's, I changed course and climbed.

As I passed over Manston bay, I had hit angles 17, and had visual contact with a fight just to the North East of Ramsgate. All the action was slightly below me, so I was able to watch and pick a target. I caught a glimpse of a 109 climbing up. He would be low on energy, so decided to dive on him. I got within range, and he had not noticed me. I opened up, get good hits around the cockpit, and in the wings, He started to vent, and he fell away to the right. Deciding not to follow, I stayed higher than him. I didn’t want to attract the attention of his friends.

I tracked the 109, which was now below me. I had to finish him off. Checking my six, I pushed the stick forwards and started my attack run. We where now heading towards Manston, about half a mile out. As I got within range, I could see his engine was dying on him. With too much speed compared to him, I over shot. He was never going to make it home, so left him alone.

By now the rest of 501 had finished dealing with the stukas, and had regrouped over the convoy. I was trying to join up with them, but stumbled across 4 unidentified plane just of the coast of Deal. I closed in, thinking they were friends, bugger! 109s! I got spotted before I could get a shot. The 109s all broke, now I thought I was for it. I called out over the radio for help and W/C Osprey responded and started to head in my direction. I managed to dodge the enemy bullets as they made a few passes past me. The Wing Commander soon turned up, and soon the tables were turned. He got some hits into one damaging him. I also managed to get some hits in another 109s, both last seen running for France.

Contacts were now getting thin on the ground, but one enemy had been spotted running South East over the Convoy on the deck, I had eyes on this, and he had one friendly aircraft behind him.
I dived down to help, and got some hit s into the 109. By now two other Hurricanes had turned up, so I stayed higher to get out the way. All four of us got hits into him, and the 109 new the game was up. Giving the international sign for 'leave me alone', and he put his plane into the drink. It would not long before A.S.R were out picking him up so he could spend the rest of the war doing some farming or something.

I joined up with W/C Osprey as everyone headed back for Hawkinge. We gave the base a low fly past, and then landed.
Another fine mission for the mighty 501!

Claims
Destroyed: 0
Probable : 1 x ME109
Damaged: 2 x ME109

Losses
Pilot - Survived
A/C – Serviceable

Fang

Post by Fang » Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:23 pm

Pilot name: Sgt Fang
Type: Hawker Hurricane I
Marking: "F for Freddie"
Serial number: L1953

Complete mess, 2 weeks out of the pit showed when after a clean take off and height advantage over a large bomber formation I damaged my flight controls on an overspeed dive. Struggling back to Ramsgate I binned it in the houses at the end of the field after failing to gain height on finals, totally pissed off with my poor effort.

Claims:
Downed: 0
Probable: 0
Damaged: 0

Losses
Pilot: Lost
A/C: Lost

Bonkin

Post by Bonkin » Sat Mar 22, 2014 3:51 pm

Pilot name: Bonkin
Date: 20th July 1940
Marking: "Z for Zebra"
Serial number: P3803

Synopsis
Wing scamble to intercept radar contacts over channel. CAVOK 3/8 Oktas SCT. Intercepted 40+ Ju87s East of Deal at Angels 10 and engaged with multiple Bf109s providing their top cover. Damaged several enemy machines and, when fuel state was low, pancaked back at Hawkinge.

Engine Start 1337
Brakes Off 1341
Brakes On 1436
Engine Shutdown 1436

Full Report
The loss of Merlin has been felt across the base. PO Meaker has his namesake written all over his face, several of the staff talk in whispered tones around anybody with a dog and Nigsy walks with his head down, barely a wag of his tail and emitting the occasional whimper. This time we all know it’s not his anal glands playing up. The boss is characteristically keeping a stiff upper lip. He's either completely hard to this loss or is trying to inspire us to put up a good show - and to turn the feelings we all have into beating the Boche back to Berlin.

We've done some preliminary investigations into what happened. Looks like Nigsy and Merlin had been happily partaking in the squadron’s merriment and had both had their fair share of “Badgers Bollocks”. Everybody knows that Nigsy's limit is 3 pints but there is some evidence to suggest that Merlin, being that much bigger, had had considerably more. Anyway, when the pair of them left the mess to wobble home quite clearly it had all gone horribly wrong and they'd lost their way back. Nobody knows quite how Nigsy ended up in the open cesspit or why Merlin was rolling over in the middle of the road when he was hit. God War is hell.

Understandably, nobody wants to be around Nigsy very much at the moment. He's got quite a pong to him. I've got my suspicions though. All the posters around the place warn us about carless talk. Perhaps we have some German spies in our midst’s? Perhaps the dogs were poisoned? Why would Merlin lie in the road and Nigsy jump into a cesspit? Why was it a hit and run? I don't know. I'm going to keep a look out. Things are not right around here. That picture of Yvette I have as well... I've checked out the Motor Pool, Parachute Section, Ops Staff and nobody knows who she is. Perhaps I'll ask FO Teepee... he seems like a Worldly chap. He's always hanging out with different ladies every night. If he’s not careful he’ll catch something and bits will drop off.

The Luftwaffe's attacks are still unrelenting. Today we were at readiness in our cockpits again and over the R/T we could hear the radar contact being plotted for a big raid against a convoy some 10 miles off the coast at Deal. We soon took to the skies in our mighty Hurricane's and the boss led us on an intercept course eastwards. Off the coast of Deal we spotted them - multiple waves of Stuka's and we dived into the attack. I damaged two (only minor) on my first pass and circled around to port for a second run – but overheard the call of snappers in the area. Quickly resetting my gunsight for 32ft I decided to keep altitude to see if we could engage with the dirty rotten scoundrel fighters.

It didn't take long before the first opportunity came my way... a lone Bf109 latched onto a Hurricane in front of me. I broke hard into a port turn to get onto his tail and then chased him down to starboard putting some strikes across his right wing. A few moments later and a second Bf109 presented me with a firing opportunity and I opened fire at 250yds and 20 degrees deflection. I saw some hits across this one’s fuselage and he started to smoke. I'm not sure if this was from my DeWilds or whether it was his glycol. Either way, he seemed to be in rush to escape home. I decided to give chase but these 109's are bloody fast and the rotter’s don't like to turn with us. I've noticed this with the Huns. They don't like a proper fight. It's like they rush in to slap you and then rush off again!

Anyway, it was whilst I was giving chase to this wounded 109 that I saw the puffs of smoke in front of me indicating I was being fired at. Holy Moses I thought and quickly broke away. I'd been lucky. Behind me were two Bf109's steaming in for the kill. Had their aim been better I would have been going for a burton.

More skirmishes followed. All the time getting lower and lower until we were fighting at sea level. The true team working skills of 501 and 615 came to the fore when I called in the support of the boss, PO Bully and PO Siddich. I kept a critter busy whilst the others came up from the South to engage and knock him down.

It wasn't long before my fuel state dictated a return to Hawkinge and it was with a little sadness that I had to switch to my auxiliary tanks and set a course back. We had truly given the Hun what for and set him scuttling back to France with his tail between his legs.

Landing at Hawkinge I taxied in, shut down and then watched a magnificent show of victory rolls and beat ups as the rest of the squadron returned safely. There sure was going to be a party tonight!

Claims
Damaged: 2x Ju87, 2x Bf109

Losses
Pilot: OK - feeling lucky.
A/C: Fully Serviceable - nothing a few patches won't sort out.

Full recording can be found here:

Sabre

Post by Sabre » Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:23 pm

Squadron code: SD
Pilot name: Sabre
Date: 20th July 1940
Marking: S for Sugar
Serial number: P3397

Synopsis
Took off with the rest of 501 and headed East towards Deal at around 10,000 feet. As we crossed the coast a large number of contacts were spotted at our 12 O'clock. The boss gave the order and we turned to engage the Ju87s. I made an initial pass damaging one of them just before they started their dive towards the ships. We had contact calls that 109's were in the area so I decided to stay up high. There seemed to be quite a bit of flak over the ships but I couldn't pick out any particular contacts. I continued patrolling over the ships and then headed North to investigate further sightings of enemy aircraft. I re-grouped with PO Bonkin and FO Teepee and we continued our search for 109's. The skies had thinned of enemy contacts somewhat until a lone 109 was found and soon engaged by several friendlies. I stayed high above until the 109 went into the sea. No further contacts were found and the boss ordered us to return to base.

Claims
Damaged: 1 x Ju87

Losses
A/C: OK
No.111 (Fighter) Squadron - "Adstantes" - Standing by
"Worry only on the things you can influence and accept there are things beyond your control"

Vranac

Post by Vranac » Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:33 pm

Squadron: No.64 Squadron
Squadron code: "SH"
Pilot name: Vranac
Date: July 20 1940
Type: Spitfire Ia
Marking: V
Serial number: N3231

Takeoff from RAF Hawkinge right after No.615 guys and went for a large enemy bomber formation. We were at 11.000 ft spotted the bombers and started climbing faster but then we saw 109's 5000 ft above us. They started diving on us. I evaded one and after minute or so two dived on me one after the another. I managed to extend a bit and then I saw one 109 trying to hit one of our guys.
He missed and went up again.That Spitfire was on another 109 trying to shoot him down but one that i followed went quickly on his six.
I warned Spit over the comms and he braked. Finally I picked that 109 in the clouds and gave him a good burst. He dived down with glycol
and smoke streams. I let him go because he won't go far.
Then I passed one Spitfire, SQ CO Gromic. Soon there was two 109's behind me and I evaded first the second one continued to climb.
Gromic reported damage and went RTB. I managed to hit one of those 109s when he lost the control, I remember number 20 on his fuselage.
I saw splashes from wing to cockpit and other wing.
Than turned with other one. Almost got him but I got hits in my radiator. It had to be that there was a third one that i didn't notice
because the first one lost altitude in spinning.
I went into a cloud immediately toward Ramsgate. After minute or so my engine started to rumble so I switched it off to avoid fire.
I couldn't reach Ramsgate but our convoy was close to the shores so I ditched in the water near a ship.
Sailors that have witnessed that fierce battle were stunned as I was after the adrenaline went out.

Claims
Destroyed: none
Probable:1 x Me-109
Damaged:1 x Me-109

Losses
A/C: Destroyed

Looky

Post by Looky » Sun Mar 23, 2014 4:37 pm

Pilot name: Looky
Type: Spitfire Ia 100oct
Marking: "A for Apple"
Serial number: N3032

Claims
Destroyed: 2x BF109 (1 shared with luke)

Losses

Tyrone
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Post by Tyrone » Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:19 pm

Pilot name: Looky
Type: Spitfire Ia 100oct
Marking: "T for Tango"

Claims
Destroyed: x1 109 mason bailed
Probable: 1

Losses

Flick

Post by Flick » Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:38 pm

Squadron Code: TB
Pilot Name: Flick
Type: Hawker Hurricane mk Ia
Marking: "P for Prick"
Serial number: V6621

Prelude:
Engaged enemy in general melee and scored hits on two stukas before being bounced and damaged but managed to nurse her home landed on beach near Deal.

Claims
Damaged: 2 Stukas

Pilot ok
A/C Recoverable
Life's too short to ride hard packed snow