Kanalkampf. Mission 14: 25th July 1940

RAF flight reports for the epic ACG Historical Campaign - "Peace In Our Time" covering the Fall of France and the Battle of Britain. We are recruiting new pilots so you can join this - post in the Reception to request a seat. This forum is publically viewable.

Moderators: Board of Directors, Administration Staff, Skin Team, Treasurers

Katt

Re: Kanalkampf. Mission 14: 25th July 1940

Post by Katt » Sat May 10, 2014 3:54 pm

Flight Sergeant Baron is being modest in his report of the latest action. His exit from a damaged aircraft was severely impeded by several pairs of nylons located in the office of his A/C, the source of which Sgt Baron claims no knowledge. It is quite possible that over use of a certain hair treatment facilitated his exit as it is purported to be extremely slippery. ;)

Vranac

Post by Vranac » Sun May 11, 2014 11:41 am

Squadron: No.64 Squadron
Squadron Code: SH
Pilot Name: Vranac
Date: 25 July 1940
Base: Kenley
Type: Spitfire Ia
Marking: V

Claims:
Destroyed: 1 x Ju-88
Probably: 2 x Ju-88
Damaged: 1 x Ju-88

Losses:
Pilot: OK
A/C: OK

Bonkin

Post by Bonkin » Sun May 11, 2014 2:29 pm

Squadron: No.501 "County of Gloucester" Squadron
Squadron code: "SD"
Pilot name: Bonkin
Date: 25th July 1940
Type: Hawker Hurricane Ia
Marking: "Z for Zebra"
Serial number: P3803

Synopsis
Took off to intercept radar contacts over channel heading towards Dover. CAVOK 4/8 Oktas SCT. Engaged by Me109’s overhead Dover but managed to intercept 10+ Ju87s heading towards the fleet in the channel South of Dover. Damaged 5 and recovered to Kenley out of ammunition.

Engine Start 1350
Brakes Off 1403
Brakes On 1500
Engine Shutdown 1501

Full Report
Following the mornings mission I had to get the crew bus from Hawkinge to Kenley. Often known as the “bus of shame” I thankfully managed to sneek on and off it without being recognised by anyone. Funny thing though – I’m seeing that picture of “Yvette” everywhere. A week or so ago it was shoved under my door, now I’m seeing it all around the MT sections and even the bus driver had a copy of it taped to his dash. Still not sure who she is but she is certainly getting around. Maybe she’s one of those “good for morale” girls I’ve heard about?

Getting off the bus I managed to get back into the mess but the C/O saw me as I tried to get back to my room. “Where the bloody hell do you think you’re going Flying Officer?” he bellowed at me. “Err back to my room to get freshened up?” I humbly replied. “Don’t you know there’s a war on man?” he shouted. “No time for ablutions. Get yourself out to the line. We’re off again in 10 – the Hun bastards are coming back for more and we’re going to give ‘em a black eye and send them packing. Come on – hurry up man!”

So very rapidly I found myself back in the cockpit ready for the off – and I hadn’t even had time to see my faithful hound!

The roar of the mighty Merlins bought my mind back into focus and as I set off down the runway I felt an assured comfort sitting in my wonder machine – but then disaster! “Those bloody Spitfires!” erupted over the R/T. It was the boss… we were following the Spitfires of No.64 and something had obviously fallen off of one of the ones at the back during its take-off roll. Well the boss had nowhere to go and found himself upside down in his cockpit sliding down the runway. Unfortunately for me I was right behind him and hadn’t quite reached take off speed… but I heaved back on the stick and my marvellous Hurricane reached for the sky. I didn’t think she would make it but she so obviously wanted to fly that her wonder wings kept her aloft and I heaved a sigh of relief as I settled into the climb out, following P/O Teepee who had now taken up the lead.

Overhead Dover at Angels 21 things got very busy indeed. We had sighted two groups of 109’s and 501 fearlessly flung itself into the attack. There were aircraft everywhere and it was difficult to pick out a single target amongst the swirling mass of roundels and crosses. I wasn’t able to engage a single contact but when bombers were sighted heading for the convoy I broke away to attack them.

Descending below the cloud base I spotted 10+ Ju87’s getting ready to drop their deadly loads onto the convoy below. Diving into the attack I was alone as I made several passes, damaging five of the blighters before running out of ammunition, which forced me to disengage.

Heading back North towards Dover a lone 109 made a firing pass at me but luckily I saw him in time and was able to out manoeuvre him with ease in my trusty machine.

On return to Kenley I landed and shut-down and was surprised by the silence. Clearly we’d either lost a few or I was back early. “Oh well” I thought as I climbed out and proudly reported to my ground crew that all my incredible machine needed was a refill of the fuel, oil and ammunition tanks. Then I headed off to the bar with my faithful Nigsy at my side. What a good boy!

Claims
Destroyed: 0
Probable: 0
Damaged: 5x Ju87

Losses
Pilot: Quite chuffed with himself
A/C: Not a scratch.

Footage of the event:

Sabre

Post by Sabre » Sun May 11, 2014 4:11 pm

Squadron: No.501 "County of Gloucester" Squadron
Squadron code: "SD"
Pilot name: Sabre
Date: 25th July 1940
Type: Hawker Hurricane Ia
Marking: "S for Sugar"
Serial number: P3397

Took off with the rest No.501 Squadron from Kenley after the Spitfires Boys had slithered their way off the strip. We proceeded to intercept radar contacts over channel heading towards Dover. The contact calls came loud and clear and we were soon engaged with Me109’s overhead Dover. There were aircraft everywhere and it was difficult to see friend from foe. I was suddenly engaged from above by a 109 and took hits to my water radiator. I took some evasive action and lost sight of my attacker.

I circled the area over Dover but the old girl was struggling so I headed towards Hawkinge, my day was done. I was slowly dropping down engine now spluttering so I dropped my gear and flaps and lined up for an emergency landing. All of a sudden I got a radio message from Flying Officer Bunny - "Hurricane landing at Hawkinge check six" no sooner the message received and the world went black ............................................

[EDIT - Osprey] Death and destruction not counted. Clearly you were on finals. If the attacker is discovered please chalk one off their score too

Claims:
Destroyed:
Probable:
Damaged:

Losses:
Pilot: KIA
A/C: Lost
No.111 (Fighter) Squadron - "Adstantes" - Standing by
"Worry only on the things you can influence and accept there are things beyond your control"

Tyrone
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Post by Tyrone » Sun May 11, 2014 6:22 pm

Squadron: No.64 Squadron
Squadron Code: SH-T
Pilot Name: Tyrone
Date: 25 July 1940
Type: Spitfire Ia

Claims: