Kanalkampf. Mission 15: 28th July 1940

RAF flight reports for the epic ACG Historical Campaign - "Peace In Our Time" covering the Fall of France and the Battle of Britain. We are recruiting new pilots so you can join this - post in the Reception to request a seat. This forum is publically viewable.

Moderators: Board of Directors, Administration Staff, Skin Team, Treasurers

Teepee
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader
Sqn Cdr

Re: Kanalkampf. Mission 15: 28th July 1940

Post by Teepee » Wed May 21, 2014 8:11 pm

Squadron: No.501 "County of Gloucester" Squadron
Squadron code: "SD"
Pilot name: FO Teepee
Date: 28 July 1940
Time: 1330hrs
Base: Hawkinge
Type: Trusty Hawker Hurricane Mk 1A
Marking: "M for Marvel"
Serial number: N2617

Synopsis:

After our previous mission Ops had recalled the Wing to Hawking. Once back in our familiar dispersals we set about preparing our fantastic flying machines to combat readiness. The Boss had been summoned to appear at a Gang Show, at the London Palladium, and was due to accompany the young slip, Vera Lynn, in one of her Tonic for the Troops sing-alongs. Before leaving the Boss had again asked me to lead the Squadron of Hurricane Hero’s, into the battle, and I was happy to oblige.

Wings Ops had briefed us to expect another wave of enemy machines to come into the Dover area and we should be prepared to attack immediately. The wing would be led by the posh Spitties of 64 Sqn followed by the heroic 501 Sqn and then the fearless 615 Sqn all flying their awesome Hurricanes. Unsurprisingly these marvellous machines were becoming the talk of the town due to their tremendous victories against the black crossed harbingers of doom. It seemed the entire village would turn out to wave to the 501 Sqn and 615 Sqn heros as they departed the airfield on their missions to meet the Hun. Naturally these modest Hurricane chaps were only too happy to wave back to the crowds of well-wishers.

The green flare lit the sky and the airfield reverberated to the sound of the mighty Merlins. The wing launched skywards and the brave flyers made their way to meet jerry, and hopefully give him a damn good thrashing. The incredible Hurricanes of 501 Sqn assembled over Folkstone harbour before heading up the coast towards Manston, climbing all the way. We heard the calls of 615 Sqn and 64 Sqn as their flyers began the chase to meet the Hun. At first we only heard calls of friendly aircraft spotting friendly aircraft but we spread our search parties and looked desperately for the first glimpse of the dark forces waged against we few. I took 501 Sqn towards just North of Manston before we turned back to head down the coast. Suddenly we heard the excited calls from the Spitties who were engaging with the Hun, at altitude. We were left with the sight of waves of black crossed machines heading towards Deal and we turned to engage, head on! ‘Tally Ho’ echoed across the radio as the chaps each tightened their straps and set their engines to maximum Merlin power.

The chaps were briefed to engage with the bombers head on, to minimise the effect of the deadly gunners on board the verminous craft. I attacked a He111 and saw the DeWilde striking the cockpit area. ‘That will give somebody a headache’ I thought to myself as I pulled my wonder machine high over the bomber. I turned to pursue the same aircraft and began to fill the port engine with lead which resulted in bellowing black smoke and the aircraft abruptly dropping down to the left in a long spiralling descent. I didn’t see the aircraft hit the sea but I claim 1 x probable He111.

The Hun must have been feeding their gunners on carrots because their aim was astonishingly accurate. I had no sooner settled behind another evil bomber, punishing it with my death dealing DeWilde mix, when I heard hits striking the fuselage of my wonder machine. The amazing aircraft was designed to absorb such rough treatment but I thought it prudent to disengage so as not to give too much work for the airframe chaps back at base. They had been working miracles and I thought they should have some spare time to themselves. I still claim 1 x damaged He111.

I called out my intention to return to Hawkinge and was surprised to hear similar reports from the other chaps in the Squadron. The brave FO Bunny reported he too was returning so we both headed home. The journey back was uneventful except to hear reports of the fearless PO Robo engaging with Me109s at altitude. He was able to despatch two of the enemy, while flying his amazing Hurricane. This was only to be expected from a 501 Sqn pilot who would take this sort of thing in his stride. He was then able to put his stricken machine down, near Hawkinge. Strike two more vermin from History.

On carrying out a precision forced landing, in my marvellous Hurricane, I looked around and saw FO Bunny returning to earth in equally precise fashion – testament to the boffins at Hawkers who designed the aircraft for just such an occasion.

We made our way to the Squadron Adj who listened in awe at our flight reports. Bunny and I then made our way to the Mess to see how many other chaps had made it back in one piece. We saw some familiar faces and pretty soon the afternoon was awash with beer, songs and some burning pianos. It was while I was returning to the Bar that I met a nice young filly from the Hawkinge Ladies Rambling Club. She had overheard my conversation, with Bunny, about my spending hours every night looking through my binoculars at the night time activity in the local woods. She said she often went to the woods and would I like to accompany her where, if I was lucky, she would show me a fairies ring. Naturally, I accepted her offer and said we should call at the game keepers hut, on the way, where we could open the bottles of wine. I don’t remember anything else after that.

Claims:
Destroyed: None
Probable: 1 x He111
Damaged: 1 x He111

Losses:
Pilot: OK
A/C: Almost Fully Serviceable.

Tea, Promotion and Medals due for helping to save England yet again.

Meaker

Post by Meaker » Wed May 21, 2014 9:41 pm

Pilot name: P/O Meaker
Type:Hurricane Mk 1A 100 Octane
Marking: "G for George"
Serial number: P2793

COMBAT FLIGHT RECORD

Led by the fearless F/O Teepee 501 got airbourne from RAF Hawkinge,we flew up the coast towards Raf Manston before turning starboard towards the Channel and getting embroiled in a head on attack with a flight of He111's.There was also a second flight of He111's sited not far behind the first.

The Squadron engaged the first flight and within seconds of our attack,we realised the cross fire from enemy gunners was potent,I heard several of our chaps get hit,but still we pressed on regardless.Finding my target now,I fired short bursts until I saw his engine ignite and burst into flame,and soon he dropped out of the sky,but before I could take on any more of the hun invaders,I was shot from what I thought came from above,my eyes rolled skywards and I succumbed to my injuries.

Claims:
Destroyed: 1 x He111
Probable:
Damaged:

Losses:
Pilot:KIA
A/C: Lost

Katt

Post by Katt » Wed May 21, 2014 11:12 pm

I advised flight lead that I had suffered some injuries and was told that in his opinion I could not rejoin the effort - fyi Katt

Fang

Post by Fang » Thu May 22, 2014 1:30 pm

Pilot name: Sgt. fang
Marking: "F Freddie
Serial number: L1953

COMBAT FLIGHT RECORD

Great flight led by F/O Teepee, we quickly found 2 large bombers formations in bound to the blighty. We dropped on them and I managed to strike good hits on 2 sending them into the sea. Sadly I received fire from the 2nd and had to put it down on the golf course, not to much damage on the fairway though.

Claims:
Destroyed: 2x He111 shared
Probable:
Damaged:

Losses:
Pilot:Ok
A/C: Damaged, recovery required from the 19 on the golf course

Baron le Scrope

Post by Baron le Scrope » Fri May 23, 2014 3:47 pm

Squadron: No615.
Squadron code: "KW"
Pilot name:Baron.
Date: 28th July 1940
Type: Hawker Hurricane Ia
Marking:B for beer.
Serial number: P3231

Took off from Hawkinge with F/O Random in command and headed towards Dover. As we were crossing the coast Sac Katt was unfortunately rammed and was ordered back to base, which left us with only 3 a/c, only able to muster 5 a/c's on take off.
Skipper announced contacts on our low 1o/c which turned out to be 64 sqn. As we continued to patrol our skipper reported he was going to investigate a bogey and ordered me to go for the bombers which were at my 3o/c heading towards Dover. As i approached i was jumped by two 109's who employed the cat and mouse game, i eventually managed to disengage with no damage, although i managed to get a number of squirts into one of them i did not see any results.

I managed to evade by going into a spiral dive which makes it most difficult for an enemy to score any hits. Having shaken off these pesky varmints i proceeded to regain height and relocated the bombers at approx 5000ft above me. There were two formations of 9 a/c each so i climbed up in between them. Just lined up on the outermost 111 when i received hits in my engine and leg, I pushed the a/c down into a dive the screen starting to oil up, whoever had damaged me did not pursue. Too low now and the prop windmilling i did'nt have enough momentum to make Hawkinge but put her down in a valley short of base, the valley rose steeply at the point of impact resulting in a loud BOOM!, a prelude to the sound of breaking the sound barrier, which would come later in time.

Claims: o

Damaged: o

Losses: 1 a/c
Pilot: Kia
A/C. destroyed
Last edited by Baron le Scrope on Sat May 24, 2014 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Antec 900 case,/ Sabertooth P67 MoBo,/ Intel corei7 2600cpu-/- MSI GTX 970 4G Graphics, --WD-1Tb Velociraptor HDD--16g Corsair 2133Mhz Ram/-- Corsair TX 850w PSU /--Samsung40"led TV, TrackiR5, CH J/sick. Warthog Throttle. Corsair Vengeance 2100 H/set/mike. W10 Pro 64, /---Two slightly depressed teabags.

Think nothing of it sir, it was the least I could do, a quantity I specialize in.

Vranac

Post by Vranac » Sat May 24, 2014 8:41 pm

Squadron: No.64 Squadron
Squadron code: SH
Pilot name: Vranac
Date: 25th July 1940
Type: Spitfire Ia
Marking: V
Serial number: N3231

Took off from Hawkinge to intercept a large formation of enemy bombers. We formed up quickly and started climbing toward Dover.
We were vectored to France and mid channel we spotted two huge formations of bombers. Looky saw one group of enemy fighters on two o'clock and went into the attack. I spotted another group of 6 on our 11 o'clock and I attacked them. They spotted me and turned to avoid me so we kept maneuvering. After a few turns i managed to place my crosshairs on one and damage him badly.
He was leaking coolant and smoking.
I started searching for more enemies and there were a lot of contacts around, a few Me110's and some higher ones.
I went back toward English coast and spoted another 109, he was a bit higher but I managed to hit him into the fuselage. He dived away sharply but I didn't follow. More enemies was reported with bombers which were turning back to France. I couldn't get to them because they were much higher. I formed up with Gromic and Venom and we went toward France behind bombers.
They spotted one 109 and I spotted another.Mine went back to England and i was following him and reporting to others his position.
Venom and Gromic dived on him and Venom got some good shots.
After that we got report on comms that two 109's are over Hawkinge. We dived down immediately and Tyrone said they're feet wet running for home. I spotted them and dived more and my lovely Spitfire started to shake. I was on six of that 109 but still not close enough to shoot so I pooled the tit and closed my radiator to get closer. Finally I closed enough and gave him a good burst. He was streaming coolant and fuel but continued flying like nothing happened. I gave him another burst and his fuel tank went on fire. What a terrifying sight. Pilot bailed fortunately.
Landed at Hawkinge.

Claims:

Destroyed: 1 x Me109
Probable: 1 x Me109
Damaged: 1 x Me109

Losses:

Pilot: OK
Aircraft: OK

Sabre

Post by Sabre » Sun May 25, 2014 10:46 am

Pilot name: Sabre
Marking: "S for Sugar"
Serial number: P3397

COMBAT FLIGHT RECORD

The whole wing took off from RAF Hawkinge and 501 we flew up the coast towards RAF Manston before turning back towards the Channel. We quickly spotted two flights of He111's over the Channel heading for Blighty. They had plenty of friends for company which No. 64 Squadron began to engage. FO Teepee gave the order to engage the bombers.

I dropped down on the first flight making three passes getting good hits each time. The first He111 started streaming black smoke from one of its engines. The Squadron seemed to have dealt the Hun a significant blow with a large number of bombers dropping down towards the Channel. Soon another formation of seven He111's was spotted and I turned north to engage with what little ammo I had left, but as I closed on the group I suddenly took fire and very quickly the world went black ...........................

Claims:
Destroyed:
Probable: 1 x He111
Damaged: 2 x He111's

Losses:
Pilot:KIA
A/C: Lost
No.111 (Fighter) Squadron - "Adstantes" - Standing by
"Worry only on the things you can influence and accept there are things beyond your control"

Tyrone
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Post by Tyrone » Sun May 25, 2014 7:03 pm

Squadron: No.64 Squadron
Squadron code: SH
Pilot name: Tyrone
Date: 25th July 1940
Type: Spitfire Ia

Claims: